U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 PM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,821,171 times
Reputation: 4279

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Lol what makes your point of view MORE American should be the question you ask yourself. It's funny that you think becuase people don't think like you or whoever else, is un-American.
It's not "how I think" that makes me say that. If you cannot understand the basic right to own property where you want to own it and where your relatives built on, then I don't know what to do with you. This sh1t seriously boggles the mind.

Did you watch the vid I posted a couple pages back. Like I said, the property owner sums it up perfectly. Watch the other vid on here as well.


(I don't expect you to respond back)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
1,397 posts, read 1,994,783 times
Reputation: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
It's not "how I think" that makes me say that. If you cannot understand the basic right to own property where you want to own it and where your relatives built on, then I don't know what to do with you. This sh1t seriously boggles the mind.

Did you watch the vid I posted a couple pages back. Like I said, the property owner sums it up perfectly. Watch the other vid on here as well.


(I don't expect you to respond back)
That's not what I'm trying to say at all. Before I talk about the two videos I watched, I'll elaborate on this first. When you say things like people are un-American because they want this development (not just you I saw some guys on the videos say that as well) It seems like you all believe it's one way (your way) or no way. America (and I'm sure every country) have built and tore down and faced opposition NUMEROUS times. Willets Point will be no exception to that.

Regarding the videos, the Fox News guy was an a$s, you could tell he wasn't interested at all. The other one I saw was the video on Vimeo and It showed a different side of this whole thing. I can't say I understand where they're coming from because I can't I just don't think the people that's opposing this development is doing enough. (From a public perspective)

I wonder if all the people online against this development actually goes out and supports the community, or lack thereof. Attends the meetings and rallies, etc . It's not un-American to take, in fact, that's sort of like the American way, take take take.

Lastly Availableusername, you have great points there's no denying that, but everyone won't always agree with you and you (and others) should learn how to accept that. It's one thing to disagree and debate about different perspectives, but to say outright someone is un-American because of their opinion is pretty silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 PM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,821,171 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
That's not what I'm trying to say at all. Before I talk about the two videos I watched, I'll elaborate on this first. When you say things like people are un-American because they want this development (not just you I saw some guys on the videos say that as well) It seems like you all believe it's one way (your way) or no way. America (and I'm sure every country) have built and tore down and faced opposition NUMEROUS times. Willets Point will be no exception to that.

Regarding the videos, the Fox News guy was an a$s, you could tell he wasn't interested at all. The other one I saw was the video on Vimeo and It showed a different side of this whole thing. I can't say I understand where they're coming from because I can't I just don't think the people that's opposing this development is doing enough. (From a public perspective)

I wonder if all the people online against this development actually goes out and supports the community, or lack thereof. Attends the meetings and rallies, etc . It's not un-American to take, in fact, that's sort of like the American way, take take take.

Lastly Availableusername, you have great points there's no denying that, but everyone won't always agree with you and you (and others) should learn how to accept that. It's one thing to disagree and debate about different perspectives, but to say outright someone is un-American because of their opinion is pretty silly.


You still clearly must not be comprehending what I am saying. I don't say you're anti-american if you simply want the development. I am telling you that because you support the seizing of somebody's property against their will. Property that has been in their family for generations. Property that has provided a life for said generations. Businesses that were built on this property with blood and sweat that some dickwad suits will never begin to understand. They own this property. That is a fundamental right that we have. I understand that we took from the native americans, but that is a completely different animal and know this.

I notice that you don't comment on what Mr. Bono says in the Fox news video or the guys in the other video at all for that matter. That is very interesting to me. It seems that you want to avoid it altogether. And further, for you to claim that these folks "are not doing enough" is being silly. They have been paying taxes, just like anyone, for decades. They have always tried to get the services they deserve only to be ignored by the powers that be. And then when Gloomberg and his dickless band of yes men came in to take what they now want, they banded together heavily. And as has been shown in this thread, have actually been successful to a point thus far.

And notice how I don't pound home my criticisms of your opinions about simply cheerleading the sterilization of this city and turning it Stripmall, USA. I may make a comment, but I'll leave it at that. So don't sit there and tell me that I can't accept your differing opinion. However when anybody supports straight up taking someone's blood and sweat, simply to hand it over to some wealthy developers so they can become a little more wealthy, I will never stop calling you un-american. Because that is what you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 PM
 
Location: London, NYC, DC
1,118 posts, read 1,906,558 times
Reputation: 646
Don't blame Bloomberg for eminent domain. It's been around since the Constitution and as sad or frustrating as it can be for those who lose property, case after case has proved its constitutionality and legality. Not sure how a practice that was active during the time of the Founding Fathers (and done with their tentative support) can really be called un-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 PM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,821,171 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Don't blame Bloomberg for eminent domain. It's been around since the Constitution and as sad or frustrating as it can be for those who lose property, case after case has proved its constitutionality and legality. Not sure how a practice that was active during the time of the Founding Fathers (and done with their tentative support) can really be called un-American.

Yeah you seem to be another one who just doesn't get it. Maybe there is a place for eminent domain throughout history. That can be argued I suppose. This is not f'ing one of them. I just watched the other video again. It really does end this whole goddamn conversation. Even former councilman Vallone literally calls it "un-american" at about 2:30. And then again at about 11:45 maybe you'll start understanding the reason I keep saying that. I'll post is again. Watch it.


Willets Point - Behind the Curbline // Current TV

Last edited by availableusername; 05-16-2012 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 AM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,821,171 times
Reputation: 4279
^^^^^^It really is the perfect video to sum all of this up. I prey they each one of you who keep on justifying this theft, watch it and comment on specifics from it, instead of saying "hey man don't call me un-american..."

I'm calling you that for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 AM
 
Location: London, NYC, DC
1,118 posts, read 1,906,558 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Yeah you seem to be another one who just doesn't get it. Maybe there is a place for eminent domain throughout history. That can be argued I suppose. This is not f'ing one of them. I just watched the other video again. It really does end this whole goddamn conversation. Even former councilman Vallone literally calls it "un-american" at about 2:30. And then again at about 11:45 maybe you'll start understanding the reason I keep saying that. I'll post is again. Watch it.


Willets Point - Behind the Curbline // Current TV
It's not like I'm saying: "Let's go to Willets Point and tear everything down to build whatever we want for the sake of using eminent domain." But there is a purpose for it and it's a necessary evil in some instances. That's why the state is required to reimburse citizens for the equal value of their loss, because property ownership is an investment, not a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 12:23 AM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,821,171 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
It's not like I'm saying: "Let's go to Willets Point and tear everything down to build whatever we want for the sake of using eminent domain." But there is a purpose for it and it's a necessary evil in some instances. That's why the state is required to reimburse citizens for the equal value of their loss, because property ownership is an investment, not a right.

Did you watch the video?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
1,397 posts, read 1,994,783 times
Reputation: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
You still clearly must not be comprehending what I am saying. I don't say you're anti-american if you simply want the development. I am telling you that because you support the seizing of somebody's property against their will. Property that has been in their family for generations. Property that has provided a life for said generations. Businesses that were built on this property with blood and sweat that some dickwad suits will never begin to understand. They own this property.That is a fundamental right that we have. I understand that we took from the native americans, but that is a completely different animal and know this.

I notice that you don't comment on what Mr. Bono says in the Fox news video or the guys in the other video at all for that matter. That is very interesting to me. It seems that you want to avoid it altogether. And further, for you to claim that these folks "are not doing enough" is being silly. They have been paying taxes, just like anyone, for decades. They have always tried to get the services they deserve only to be ignored by the powers that be. And then when Gloomberg and his dickless band of yes men came in to take what they now want, they banded together heavily. And as has been shown in this thread, have actually been successful to a point thus far.

And notice how I don't pound home my criticisms of your opinions about simply cheerleading the sterilization of this city and turning it Stripmall, USA. I may make a comment, but I'll leave it at that. So don't sit there and tell me that I can't accept your differing opinion. However when anybody supports straight up taking someone's blood and sweat, simply to hand it over to some wealthy developers so they can become a little more wealthy, I will never stop calling you un-american. Because that is what you are.
Please tell me how this is different from when we first took from the Native Americans??? I would love to hear that one.

You keep saying they pay taxes I know that and that's not what I meant by 'enough'. I'm saying they are not doing enough to inform the public about their side because clearly only a few people actually know about it. Just like how Bloomberg and his team can create this frenzy and lie with stats or whatever so can the people for Willets Points. So no, I don't think they are doing enough. If they make the so called millions of dollars in revenue and the city isn't helping (what makes them think they ever will?) they can either leave or fix up for themselves. YES THEY PAY TAXES but the city isn't doing anything about it so what's next? Sue someone I guess.

Oh and you think I cheerlead for the city to turn into a strip-mall? Where did you get this notice from (Because I like development here and there?) Once again I wasn't around when the city was 'bad' so I can't speak about that time. But I'm glad I don't have to walk down the street and see crack-pipes and decay all the time. Sorry if that makes me an un-New Yorker . Please tell me how you really feel. I care so much about your outlook on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Don't blame Bloomberg for eminent domain. It's been around since the Constitution and as sad or frustrating as it can be for those who lose property, case after case has proved its constitutionality and legality. Not sure how a practice that was active during the time of the Founding Fathers (and done with their tentative support) can really be called un-American.
Exactly my point.

In 100 years no one will care about how Willets Point was. Shall we reminisce about "New Amsterdam", or how about the 13 Colonies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 AM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,821,171 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Please tell me how this is different from when we first took from the Native Americans??? I would love to hear that one.

Like I said, that was centuries ago. It was a completely different galaxy back then. We have evolved intellectually and have become more sophisticated as a people. You really don't see this? What the Europeans did to the natives was beyond horrible. That means to you that it's justifiable to steal our fellow man's property in this modern age? Very interesting.

Quote:
You keep saying they pay taxes I know that and that's not what I meant by 'enough'. I'm saying they are not doing enough to inform the public about their side because clearly only a few people actually know about it. Just like how Bloomberg and his team can create this frenzy and lie with stats or whatever so can the people for Willets Points. So no, I don't think they are doing enough. If they make the so called millions of dollars in revenue and the city isn't helping (what makes them think they ever will?) they can either leave or fix up for themselves. YES THEY PAY TAXES but the city isn't doing anything about it so what's next? Sue someone I guess.

Dude these are not extremely wealthy people. They cannot get their story across to a large swath of the city all that easily. Particularly when Bloomberg essentially owns the media. It's pretty goddamn simple. However they have done a decent job so far, as I've already pointed out. And if you would acknowledge anything in the video for once, you would know the answers to your question about fixing it up themselves.


Quote:
Oh and you think I cheerlead for the city to turn into a strip-mall? Where did you get this notice from (Because I like development here and there?) Once again I wasn't around when the city was 'bad' so I can't speak about that time. But I'm glad I don't have to walk down the street and see crack-pipes and decay all the time. Sorry if that makes me an un-New Yorker . Please tell me how you really feel. I care so much about your outlook on me.
Once again, this whole thing is not about your other opinions. You brought up the fact that I don't accept other opinions. You brought it up. I'm simply here to speak on the theft of people's property. But for the record, you don't see crack vials everywhere because that went away with the decline of, ya know, crack. It happened all across this country. Nobody here said there needs to be decay and crack everywhere. Thanks for jumping to conclusions though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top