U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM

4,912 posts, read 6,855,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
If the city wants to step in, it should do so by improving that area (sewer system and paved roads), and give the business owners grants so they can make their businesses look more presentable instead of having run down looking shacks for car shops.

I've been going there for the past 10yrs. Its pretty much the only place in the city where you can get affordable work done for your car. I personally know a man who supports an entire family off of one little muffler shop that he has owned for 15yrs there. Its a damn shame what's happening.

BOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Well what about all the people that could soon own or rent a home there?

Or the new businesses that will move in?

Or the more favorable light the redeveloped area will have on the city? Visitors to Citi Field.

The runoff popularity into Corona/East Elmhurst and Flushing? I foresee even more development.

That area should have never been as poorly developed the way it was. Now the city along with private investors have the opportunity to fix it. Now if they could only do away with some of those surface lots around the stadium, in time.

This is New York City, not a third world parking lot.

How about the people that rent and own there currently? What about their businesses? Maybe we should help spruce up the area with paved roads and sewers as we should have done a long time ago. I've never seen a poster such as yourself who literally only cares about people who aren't even here yet. It's pretty fascinating. Your consistent cheerleading of tearing down every single piece of new york to make it look like downtown Houston is extremely odd. In fact, I dunno why it took me this long to realize, but I am pretty certain at this point that you work for the DOT or something. You post as if you'd suck the lint out of Janette Sadik whatever her name is toes at the snap of her fingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 03:08 PM

19,502 posts, read 32,976,663 times
I'm sorry but that first picture looks absolutely horrible. It looks like Calcutta.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,122,318 times
it is ugly over there now, but why kill jobs?
is it really that hard for developers to figure
out how to create more permanent jobs
instead of all these temporary cheap labor
construction jobs and low wage retail?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm sorry but that first picture looks absolutely horrible. It looks like Calcutta.

Again, the folks who own businesses there and have been asking for the most basic services for their tax dollars for decades, agree with you.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,533,020 times
I get my car serviced in Willets Point by some really wonderful people. The owner of the shop has paid taxes for years, and he has yet to see the city deliver on services. Now, his business will likely close. As it stands now, the area is unhealthy but you have to wonder why it was ignored all these years when taxes were being paid.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I get my car serviced in Willets Point by some really wonderful people. The owner of the shop has paid taxes for years, and he has yet to see the city deliver on services. Now, his business will likely close. As it stands now, the area is unhealthy but you have to wonder why it was ignored all these years when taxes were being paid.

Please refrain from entering this thread with sound logic. It is absolutely imperative that we forcefully close down generational family owned businesses because some millionaires/billionaires will make mega profits. The fundamental idea of owning property in this country really means nothing as long as big shots want what you own. Always remember that.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:36 PM

1,397 posts, read 2,004,381 times
._.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,910,299 times
I don't understand the point in this? I never even knew that area existed until I looked at a map, even when I use to go to Shea Stadium. Why not profit somewhere else?

Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I don't understand the point in this? I never even knew that area existed until I looked at a map, even when I use to go to Shea Stadium. Why not profit somewhere else?

I'm not 100% clear about who you are suggesting should profit somewhere else. The families who have owned businesses there for decades or the developers that want to teach them the apparent true meaning of ownership in this country?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:09 AM

46,054 posts, read 28,445,384 times
Interesting development, I figured it would be a matter of time before something was proposed around the new stadium. I am sure with the money that has been spent on these new stadiums that the city wants to see the most bang for their buck.

Though I have to agree with most people on here, eminent domain should only be used for public projects such as federal and other civil needs as well as infrastructure expansions, not projects like these. If developers want to buy out the owners that are in that area, then I am all for that, but it sounds like a good place to get auto needs for a decdnt price, and the condition of the area is the city's responsibility, the current condition is the fault of city for not taking care of the basic needs of the businesses that are there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City