U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 PM

19,307 posts, read 32,774,221 times

Advertisements

Here's a nice article about the Iron Triangle:

Willets Point's Septic Tank Days May Be Coming to a Close - New York News - Runnin' Scared

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,830,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Nope, I'm just tired of people saying things are being destroyed when someone wants to develop an area. I'll admit I don't know much about this area but if you can link me to articles/videos of the owners trying to salvage their businesses and ask for help OR make it better on their own expense, then maybe we can debate. But from where I'm standing this isn't too bad.

Nothing lasts forever. Nothing, so please spare me with how you personally feel.

They have an entire website that's been around for years. Have fun. I remember a ny times online interactive piece they did on a couple of the owners. This was a couple of years ago and I'm having trouble digging it up. I'll try later when I'm on a comp though. I'm still wondering why you haven't answered my very simple question though, I'll tell you that much.

Oh and thanks for explaining to me that when you own property, it does not last forever. I actually wasn't aware of that until you so eloquently broke it down. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,997,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nice read. This should be good for the area regardless if people don't agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
They have an entire website that's been around for years. Have fun. I remember a ny times online interactive piece they did on a couple of the owners. This was a couple of years ago and I'm having trouble digging it up. I'll try later when I'm on a comp though. I'm still wondering why you haven't answered my very simple question though, I'll tell you that much.
Funny, after I posted that I started to Google and found that site. So I started to browse and came across a video the admin (I assume) did in 2007. Screaming about eminent domain and cursing Bloomberg, etc. It all seemed personal but I then wondered what are the people in this community doing to make it better, on there own first? If these are businesses why can't they clean up there streets, make the place look a little more presentable rather than a third world country. I'm sorry I wasn't born 20/30+ Years ago and have no recollection of the charm this place once possessed but in 2012, I say it's time to redevelop and hope for the best.

Also as for your question about my great-grandfather, who by the way just turned 93 and is a vet (WW2), I can't say. But I will say this, I wouldn't have allowed that to be the case, no respectable business would. You keep saying it yourself too, BUSINESS, that's all it is. Money and business. I look at things differently and the company my great-grandfather would've built would be a brand by now if this was my situation. People get complacent and just 'go with the flow' but that attitude is short-lived. What exactly makes these "businesses" so vital to our economy again?

Quote:
Oh and thanks for explaining to me that when you own property, it does not last forever. I actually wasn't aware of that until you so eloquently broke it down. Thanks.
Nice try at taking something out of context. I meant change is inevitable, things change -- hence the word evolution. Great you own property, cool, but if you can't maintain it what's the use of keeping it?

I may sound or come off insensitive about this (or things in general) but the attitude a lot of (older or conservative) New Yorkers have need to rest. I too, if it's any consolation, despise Bloomberg and can't wait until his term is up.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM

You really can't understand that these people have been paying taxes for decades? Taxes that are supposed to provide basic needs like paved roads, sewers, and sanitation pick ups? Is it that difficult for you to understand after doing two minutes of research that the city has intentionally neglected this area for years in hopes of driving these folks out? These people are far from wealthy and cannot afford to pave the roads and install proper sewer systems on their own. Hell, they are most likely hardly able to afford college for their kids.

Quote:
Nice try at taking something out of context. I meant change is inevitable, things change -- hence the word evolution. Great you own property, cool, but if you can't maintain it what's the use of keeping it?
Yeah I know what you meant pal. But your "change is inevitable" means nothing when people's land, blood, and sweat are being threatened by a city who has neglected the public areas sorrounding said land for decades, thus leading to their claims of the area being blighted. It's common goddamn sense and as clear as day.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
What exactly makes these "businesses" so vital to our economy again?
Well first off, it doesn't really matter. These people are tax paying land owners. That trumps anything else.

But second of all, many many people will tell you how unique and important the area is in terms of getting affordable mechanical and body work done for your vehicle. Despite what these dickbag politicians and developers seem to think, most people in a large radius of the area and beyond are not wealthy and utilize it greatly.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 PM

One question I do have is how do they all manage to survive in one area like that? It's like having 6 supermarkets right next to each other.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
One question I do have is how do they all manage to survive in one area like that? It's like having 6 supermarkets right next to each other.

I've often wondered that myself actually. But the fact is, they do. Probably because, as I stated, a whole hell of a lot of people bring their vehicles there. When a few shops are probably booked up for a while, there will be another that will have a quicker time frame to get it done.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,694,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Nope, I'm just tired of people saying things are being destroyed when someone wants to develop an area. I'll admit I don't know much about this area but if you can link me to articles/videos of the owners trying to salvage their businesses and ask for help OR make it better on their own expense, then maybe we can debate. But from where I'm standing this isn't too bad.

Nothing lasts forever. Nothing, so please spare me with how you personally feel.

these arent abandoned buildings
i would love to see your attitude if you owned a business and the city came in and stole it from you

Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 PM

10,639 posts, read 20,778,169 times
Quote:
I don't think it's that different from the diamond district, garment district, Fulton Fish Market, Lighting district, flower district, etc.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't think it's that different from the diamond district, garment district, Fulton Fish Market, Lighting district, flower district, etc.
Good point.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City