U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 05:59 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,176,826 times

Advertisements

Street Homeless Numbers Soar - DNAinfo.com

Has anyone noticed the increasing number of homeless people on the streets, subways, etc.? How about the return of squeegee men? Notice more of them lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:46 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,215,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post

Has anyone noticed the increasing number of homeless people on the streets, subways, etc.? How about the return of squeegee men? Notice more of them lately?
I definitely have.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,872,887 times
I have, especially around heavy commercial areas. I even had a homeless guy harass me for money the other day on Fresh Pond while waiting for the bus.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,426,609 times
It seems like I can't take even a relatively short walk without someone asking me for money. I feel bad for some of them, but it gets really annoying after the 3rd time in 10 blocks. It's strange that some homeless assume that I'm rich because I'm walking through Manhattan without a shopping cart in front of me.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 AM

10,334 posts, read 12,437,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post

Yes, Have noticed more. Not all are disheveled and obvious. I get many people who walk up to me asking for cash who look like anyone else. Cash and cigarettes. Some are aggressive and actually block your path. Hate that. I no longer use the Metrocard vending machines cause people come right up to you cause they know you have money obviously.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,079,405 times
you're free to be a bum i guess.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,739,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I have, especially around heavy commercial areas. I even had a homeless guy harass me for money the other day on Fresh Pond while waiting for the bus.
Yea man I've definitely seen way more homeless people in Ridgewood recently, especially around the Fresh Pond and Forest ave stations... One guy sits on the stairs of the Forest station asking for money... He's pretty much harmless but I've seen him agitated when a bunch of people pass by without giving him anything... He usually sits down with his head down and his cup up in his hand but when he sees no results he gets up and hounds people for money... It's really annoying...

On Fresh Pond I see a few of them but not as many as by Forest. It's like they congregate under the train station screaming and getting drunk... i'm sure that does wonders for their situation...

@ Barkomatic, similar situation happened to me on Jamaica ave not too long ago... Some of these guys are so high off fumes they don't even realize they've come at you already... This one guy approaches me and tells me how he's in a tough spot, he just got out of Rikers and nobody'll hire him and if I could spare anything... Didn't really buy his story but I felt bad nonetheless and gave him something... About 30 minutes later I'm coming out of Farmers Market on the ave. and same guy approaches with the same routine... lol...

Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,079,405 times
lls..

Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 26,480,657 times
With no car anymore there is no squeegee man, but the street and subway beggars are becoming more and more prevalent and it seems on an upward linear growth since 2000.

It will get worse and worse.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,570,917 times
I would say that in general there is an increase in the visible homeless population, and depending where you live or work you will feel it more than others. I pass through Penn Station daily, and that always has had lots of homeless regardless of the economic climate.

There are seemingly more people begging on the trains, but this may be anecdotal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or