U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM

902 posts, read 1,976,293 times

Advertisements

Bark,

I'm disabled so I no longer work so they didn't come from the workplace.

One of my suspicions is my super, yes my super, he's a pain in my a$$. It's a long story but I think he along with the exterminator left a few friends on my mattress. I can't prove it but I do know before I put additional locks on my door he did come into my apartment w/o my knowledge, but it's alright I'll fix his a$$.

Those wanting to move to New York that may be reading this, there are a lot of psycho people who live and work here and will do anything and I mean anything. I know it sounds crazy but this is just how crazy some of these people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM

20,185 posts, read 26,506,670 times
I don't know for sure how bad the problem is. Like others, I have been frightened by the publicity and am really fearful about getting an infestation. I am loathe to invite someone to stay who brings in a suitcase.

A bedbug infection sounds horrific, perhaps unwinnable, and VERY expensive. The thought of sleeping on an insecticide ridden mattress is beyond appalling...the City stinks enough as it is.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:27 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,035,616 times
The BedBug Registry online is helpful for those planning an upcoming move. It obviously doesn't track every single infestation but can show you a general trend in terms of areas of the city that are hardest-hit. Certain buildings/neighborhoods seem to constantly be reporting them while others go almost virtually untouched.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM

10,644 posts, read 20,785,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
The BedBug Registry online is helpful for those planning an upcoming move. It obviously doesn't track every single infestation but can show you a general trend in terms of areas of the city that are hardest-hit. Certain buildings/neighborhoods seem to constantly be reporting them while others go almost virtually untouched.
I agree that it can be helpful. But other things to remember about the "untouched" places are that they could be areas where there are significant numbers of owner-occupied coops and condos as opposed to rentals, and also that some neighborhoods are going to have a very low percentage of young internet-savvy people who are likely to go online and report something to such an online registry.

In both cases you could have buildings that have problems, but they would go unreported.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:33 PM

19,315 posts, read 32,792,203 times
Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

I would love to know how it all started.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM

110 posts, read 253,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The wooden furniture thing is a myth. The bugs can live in pretty much anything, including metal furniture, books, linens, electronics, etc.

Well I have read and heard from many people that plastic and metal deters them from climbing.

My friend who had bedbugs recommended this method for killing them: throw those plastic chinese food containers under each leg of the bed, then put some alcohol in it. Rubbing alcohol apparently kills them and their eggs. A mattress cover + packing tape around the zipper also does wonders. Get 3-ply trash bags for all of the personal items and then go to war with the little buggers using a steamer and a spray bottle.

Hope your friends don't bring a ton of books, and I wish 'em luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 PM

14 posts, read 25,513 times
Let's be honest here. The nature activists said goodbye to dursban and ddt, and hello to bedbugs. I miss dursban.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 PM

15,282 posts, read 15,266,256 times
I had BBs and never threw anything out.

You can easily kill them by applying a strong pesticide to whatever item is suspect then sealing it up in a bag for 6 weeks...that will kill off the adults and nymphs.

If you have them in your bed, the "legs in cans of oil" method does work very good. Wash/dry your sheets and then in the morning, apply a good quality pesticide to your bed(not the area you sleep on of course).

Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 AM

20,185 posts, read 26,506,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moccawaii View Post
Well I have read and heard from many people that plastic and metal deters them from climbing.

My friend who had bedbugs recommended this method for killing them: throw those plastic chinese food containers under each leg of the bed, then put some alcohol in it. Rubbing alcohol apparently kills them and their eggs. .

That sounds like a good tip. I guess you need also to take the precaution of pulling the bed away from the wall and making sure no bed clothes touch the floor. I imagine a detergent solution might work too (super-wet and drown them.)

Quote:
I miss dursban.
I didnt know Dursban (chlorpyrifos) was banned. So I looked it up and it seems it was banned last year for RESIDENTIAL use. Can it still be purchased in, say, a GARDEN STORE?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM

902 posts, read 1,976,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I don't know for sure how bad the problem is. Like others, I have been frightened by the publicity and am really fearful about getting an infestation. I am loathe to invite someone to stay who brings in a suitcase.

A bedbug infection sounds horrific, perhaps unwinnable, and VERY expensive. The thought of sleeping on an insecticide ridden mattress is beyond appalling...the City stinks enough as it is.
Just try to be proactive, get mattress and box spring covers and the Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) now. Inspect your mattress and box spring from time to time and learn where they hide out in them (You Tube). Be very vigilant to any bumps on your body and if you have to insist on inspecting your visitor. I know it seems insulting but hell I'd do if it meant not getting these little bastards.

Insecticide ridden mattress? Why would you worry about that as long as you have a cover? The DE won't come into contact with your skin and you won't breath it, it has no smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moccawaii View Post
Not true. They are able to climb anything. They are able to climb the metal frame of a bed. I even found a few on my metal floor lamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I had BBs and never threw anything out.

You can easily kill them by applying a strong pesticide to whatever item is suspect then sealing it up in a bag for 6 weeks...that will kill off the adults and nymphs.

If you have them in your bed, the "legs in cans of oil" method does work very good. Wash/dry your sheets and then in the morning, apply a good quality pesticide to your bed(not the area you sleep on of course).
Good on you! You give the rest of us hope. I had a small set back recently in that the cover on the box spring had a few rips. Oh my! I taped them closed and plan to get better quality covers. After fighting nymphs and a few bites on the legs I pulled out the DE again, no more bites. I can only wait it out but I can't wait to get rid of this bed which I know is the problem. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced this super did this.

Anywho, on another note as I said before I think people moving from an infested apartment isn't helping. They may or may not be bug free in their new apartments even when they do move and who knows maybe the previous tenant left some bugs too. The high turnover rates for apartments in NYC only leaves those bugs for the next tenants especially if the LL isn't made aware of the problem or is aware but refuses to do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City