U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:29 PM

1,576 posts, read 1,428,366 times

Advertisements

Best info on bedbugs is on bedbugger.com. It is unlikely that your whole problem is confined to your bed and that the bugs haven't moved anywhere else - and please don't go sprinkling DE around without proper protection - it's not safe for your lungs. And dragging an infested mattress out ot your apartment will only spread the problem around your apartment and building!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 12:27 PM

902 posts, read 1,976,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Best info on bedbugs is on bedbugger.com. It is unlikely that your whole problem is confined to your bed and that the bugs haven't moved anywhere else - and please don't go sprinkling DE around without proper protection - it's not safe for your lungs. And dragging an infested mattress out ot your apartment will only spread the problem around your apartment and building!

I have the food grade DE that I've used since November of last year. It really helped. I also used Dawn dishwasher detergent that kills them on the spot. I didn't have any further problems until recently. My bed is covered and I inspected the covering and closed all openings.

I do have asthma but it isn't bad so even if the DE bothers me it isn't for long I'd cough a little bit then it's done. I apply the DE close to the floor with a paint brush so it doesn't kick up the dust even me walking through it doesn't kick up dust so I'm not afraid of the DE.

Again I'm aware of keeping bedding covered and I wouldn't ignorantly want to expose others to this. This weekend on the way out I'd seen the super dragging out furniture along with a mattress. I decided to get a closer look and yeah I could see the bed bug feces along with blood trails on the mattress. The mattress wasn't fully covered with the plastic, only tied on two ends leaving the middle exposed. I feel sorry for whoever picked it up. The super dragged all this furniture out the front door which is right by my apartment door. So this whole building could be infested. More than likely he's done this before.

I put DE inside my apartment by my door.

I can only pray they haven't set up house somewhere else, I do inspect my apartment and I continue to sprinkle the DE in all pathways. Being that they would have to come to my bed or chair to get a feeding I surround them with the DE. They have to go through the DE to get to me so eventually they'll die, I just have to wait it out.

Oh and thank God I have a washer so I can wash all clothing and bedding immediately.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:21 PM

880 posts, read 1,665,457 times
In all my years of being living here, I've never had a problem. I realize that I might jinx myself for saying this.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 PM

10,644 posts, read 20,785,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
I have the food grade DE that I've used since November of last year. It really helped. I also used Dawn dishwasher detergent that kills them on the spot. I didn't have any further problems until recently. My bed is covered and I inspected the covering and closed all openings.

I do have asthma but it isn't bad so even if the DE bothers me it isn't for long I'd cough a little bit then it's done. I apply the DE close to the floor with a paint brush so it doesn't kick up the dust even me walking through it doesn't kick up dust so I'm not afraid of the DE.

I just hope people will do their research on DE (diatomaceous earth) before spreading it all over the place. It may be "safe" in the sense that it's not poisonous, but it IS an inhalation hazard, and anyone spreading it should use proper precaution.

I guess silicosis of the lungs wouldn't show itself right away. Anything (like DE) that kills bugs by breaking their skeletons with spiky points that act like tiny shards of glass SHOULD be considered an inhalation hazard and treated cautiously.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:34 PM

902 posts, read 1,976,293 times
Thanks Henna,

Thank you for looking out, you and Forumbrowser.

Admittedly months ago as I have stated I was too gungho in applying so I'm not repeating that mistake. I'm being as careful as possible and I do read the bed bugs sites for advice and other recommendations. Being that there are few remedies or affordable remedies for these pests DE seems the most affordable. If I thought or felt for one second DE was imposing on my breathing I certainly wouldn't use it. Again, I'm being as careful as possible as to not have dust clouds anywhere.

Again thank you.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 AM

20,185 posts, read 26,506,670 times
I saw a hand steamer with a pointy type nozzle advertised in the P.C. RICHARD'S flyer this week. Called "Steam Shot" Hard Surface cleaner. $39.97.
I wish I had the space for another tchotchke to have "just in case."
It looks ideal for concentrating a lot of steam on a mattress seam, or a baseboard crack (or hardwood seam...if I HAD hardwood. )

Hmmm, assuming I never have a bedbug, I wonder what other use the steamer could fulfill to justify its existence???

Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM

1,247 posts, read 1,038,218 times
It is everywhere, from five star hotels, A+ colleges, historical houses, office buildings, and any other place where a person could sit or fall alseep in broad daylight. They are smaller then a dot, made from the smallest of art pens ( 0.0 ), and big as a dime. Any place where a person in their twenties is most likely.

At least it is not west nile mosqito's.....Oh wait those are still around.
That is the one good thing about those things. They just pinch the skin enough to force blood to come up, like a well spring. If you go to bed, and your under miles, of blankets, and you wake up with a trail of bites, it is bedbugs.

Getting rid of them is also easy. No spray will stop them, because these sprays try to mimic the mate scents, and only work directly on them. If you throw out furniture, they just crawl back in, threw the cracks, and creases in the wall. They do not even go threw the walls, they go right threw the front door like you. It is like watching a bird who walks around instead of flying.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:08 PM

15,282 posts, read 15,266,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Just try to be proactive, get mattress and box spring covers and the Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) now. Inspect your mattress and box spring from time to time and learn where they hide out in them (You Tube). Be very vigilant to any bumps on your body and if you have to insist on inspecting your visitor. I know it seems insulting but hell I'd do if it meant not getting these little bastards.

Insecticide ridden mattress? Why would you worry about that as long as you have a cover? The DE won't come into contact with your skin and you won't breath it, it has no smell.

Not true. They are able to climb anything. They are able to climb the metal frame of a bed. I even found a few on my metal floor lamp.

Good on you! You give the rest of us hope. I had a small set back recently in that the cover on the box spring had a few rips. Oh my! I taped them closed and plan to get better quality covers. After fighting nymphs and a few bites on the legs I pulled out the DE again, no more bites. I can only wait it out but I can't wait to get rid of this bed which I know is the problem. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced this super did this.

Anywho, on another note as I said before I think people moving from an infested apartment isn't helping. They may or may not be bug free in their new apartments even when they do move and who knows maybe the previous tenant left some bugs too. The high turnover rates for apartments in NYC only leaves those bugs for the next tenants especially if the LL isn't made aware of the problem or is aware but refuses to do anything about it.

The legs of your bed should be the ONLY thing touching the ground.......nothing else on the bed should be making contact with anything. Put the legs in cans of oil and then wash your sheets very good and dry until bedding is HOT. Then spray your bed down with a pyrethrin based pesticide in the morning (do not spray the area you will be sleeping on) to give the bed time to air out.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:21 AM

20,185 posts, read 26,506,670 times
Just a quick question. Is a lungful of diatomaceous Earth the same thing as silicosis?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM

23 posts, read 40,695 times
...and I'm having a fit about my ant invasion...

What do you do if your bed doesn't have legs...like one that is on a platform of a bunch of drawers?

Kefir King - The right steam cleaner is a godsend. It disinfects EVERYTHING. You never need to buy toxic cleaners again. My Shark canister steamer just died. I would have found a place for it when I get to NY... The new handheld steamer...not so good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City