U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 PM

14 posts, read 25,484 times

Advertisements

I keep reading all these stories about how bad the bedbug issue is in NYC... so how bad is it really? Are they in every apartment building? Is Times Square crawling with them? Hotels? Theaters?
Some good friends of mine want to move to NYC... but I'm really worried for them. Will they find a non-infested apartment, I wonder?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 PM

4,891 posts, read 8,980,277 times
You'll die.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 PM

110 posts, read 253,006 times
Eh, a lot of places have them, but you learn to survive. I haven't had them yet, but one line of apartments in the building I'm renting from does. When my lease is up I'm moving to an apartment with 10+ floors so it's less likely I get them.

It's less prevalent here now, I think. Places have been more proactive since the insanity of 2007-10. Just tell your friends not to get wooden furniture.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moccawaii View Post
Eh, a lot of places have them, but you learn to survive. I haven't had them yet, but one line of apartments in the building I'm renting from does. When my lease is up I'm moving to an apartment with 10+ floors so it's less likely I get them.

It's less prevalent here now, I think. Places have been more proactive since the insanity of 2007-10. Just tell your friends not to get wooden furniture.
The wooden furniture thing is a myth. The bugs can live in pretty much anything, including metal furniture, books, linens, electronics, etc.

NYC may have significant problems with bedbugs, but at least the city has been proactive about legislation to protect and educate people about the issue. These bugs don't really care what their address is, and can live happily in Vancouver, Cleveland, Hong Kong, Houston, etc. NYC is not any worse than any other big city.

There are certain precautions I would take, however, if I were moving into this city as a newcomer. First, I would check the address on the bedbug registry. Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

I would familiarize myself with NYC laws about landlord disclosure. Resources | New York vs Bed Bugs And I would try to rent in a building or an area where people have the means and the motivation to rid themselves of these pests if they were to end up with them. And ideally, find out if the management of the building I'm interested in has been proactive and responsive about any past bedbug problems.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 PM

14,795 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Most bedbugs happen to live in areas with a lot of density such as tourist areas and up and coming gentrified areas. If you travel and move around a lot expect bedbugs to hop along for a ride. I have already ran into some people who moved out of NYC and the reason for moving out of the city was due to bed bugs. Thank goodness that now companies are allowing to stream on released movies onto the internet for a fee, no more visiting bed bug theater for me.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 AM

902 posts, read 1,972,771 times
Bed bugs can be anywhere, in any public place not only in hotels.

I have a problem with people who have them deciding not to fight the problem but rather move. They could be moving the bed bugs with them spreading to other buildings. I also think ignorance also plays a part.

I've experienced this problem and the advice I would give is to be active early and read everything you can about them and how to get rid of them.

Whatever they've "camped" down in get rid of, wrap it and throw it out. Get diatomaceous earth and cover both your box spring and mattress with a plastic covering. I got my covering from e-bay that was cheap and I duct taped it closed. You'll have to keep your bed covered for 12 - 18 months or if you decide to throw it out you must cover bedding and arrange to have it picked up.

I think I was lucky in that I could feel the little bastards crawling and biting so I could kill them on the spot. I took all my bedding off the bed and washed in hot water. I slept with nothing on the bed but a foam covering they would get into and I could wash them right out. I covered myself in petroleum jelly (yep I slept in the nude) which slowed them down and since I could feel them I could pin point them to kill them and as you may have guess I got very little sleep.

I made a barrier around my bed on the floor with the diatomaceous earth and pulled my bed away from the walls so if any tried to escape to other areas of my apartment they had to go through the DE first and would eventually die. I even put DE all over the mattress and box spring so if the little bastards surfaced they had to come in contact with the DE.

Don't move to other areas to sleep they can detect your carbon dioxide then hide in anything close by you to feed.

Don't move things in and out the room the bed bugs are in unless your washing and make sure everything is in bags separated contaminated/not contaminated. Put in bags clothes to be washed and empty bag straight into the washer don't pull clothes out of the bad to load into washer, place the bag opening right at the washer opening and dump.

If you wash pillows to get rid of them this may or may not work. I washed a couple of pillows 3 times and still had a problem even after drying at a commercial laundry mat on the highest temperature. It seems some of these places the heat isn't as high as you may think and also the internal heat of the pillow may not be as high as the exterior so the bed bugs run to the center and survive, just throwing out the pillow may be easier.

I learned if you catch them early you more than likely won't have a big problem. I first thought after first discovering them that Bam! they'd be everywhere, not true. You just need to contain them asap. Being that I live alone I think it was easier versus having other people in the apartment so they weren't transferred from place to place.

Bed bugs take 18 months to die without feeding. Nymphs will die immediately unless they have a feeding.

I think the fact that I had already caulked my apartment against roaches they didn't spread.

How these little bastards got in my apartment in the first place? Well I have several theories none of which I can prove.

Last edited by luvnyc; 04-30-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,422,071 times
The bedbug problem was pretty bad for awhile. I personally knew three friends that had them. One guy left his apartment with nothing but the clothes on his back -- I mean he took nothing. All his furniture, TV , appliances, and household items were left behind. He rented a new apartment and stripped out of the clothes he wore *to* the apartment before entering and placed them in a bag. Most people aren't quite that extreme but it was an easy, although expensive, way to rid himself of them.

You can lower your risk by using some common sense. Don't pick up furniture that has been discarded on the street -- and don't shop in second hand stores for *anything*. All it takes is one person to donate a bed bug infested dresser or article of clothing and the entire shop can be infested. Anyway, that just lowers your risk a bit you can still get them from friends who don't know they have them. I have a buddy that travels a lot and I get concerned he'll bring them over one day.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM

902 posts, read 1,972,771 times
Bark, I can't say I blame your friend. Although expensive he did it the way to least cause a headache.

I have a friend that throws hers and the rest of the family's clothes in the dryer as soon as they return home.

I think another avenue is home health aides. I don't live to far from Kings County Hospital and they discovered some bed bugs in the emergency area and had to close it down. It just made me wonder if some of these home health aides may be helping spread the bbs too. Either they're coming from their own homes or they're picking them up from their clients. I know I can't say who it was that left them at Kings County but it just brought this to mind.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,422,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Bark, I can't say I blame your friend. Although expensive he did it the way to least cause a headache.

I have a friend that throws hers and the rest of the family's clothes in the dryer as soon as they return home.

I think another avenue is home health aides. I don't live to far from Kings County Hospital and they discovered some bed bugs in the emergency area and had to close it down. It just made me wonder if some of these home health aides may be helping spread the bbs too. Either they're coming from their own homes or they're picking them up from their clients. I know I can't say who it was that left them at Kings County but it just brought this to mind.
This is true. There are several ways those little monsters can get into your home despite your best efforts. Another avenue is people bringing them to your workplace and transferring them from there to your own home.

I've heard that pesticide companies are busy at work trying to develop reliable chemicals that a consumer can purchase at Home Depot and get rid of them on their own -- but so far that hasn't happened. The bed bug exterminators themselves have to use multiple methods--chemicals, extreme heating and extreme cold to kill the little beasts--and they still come back. Horrible creatures.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,931,279 times
These little creatures are a pure evil. Mainly due to two things; 1)They feed off of you. and 2)They are one of the hardest pests to get rid of.

I've never had them, but at one point last year when it was the peak of the epidemic, and there was so much talk about them, I was checking my apt every other day for signs of their presence.

Lucky these SUCKERS have not drawn a single drop of blood from me and I hope it stays that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City