U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,629,429 times

Advertisements

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...TAXI-popup.jpg

Quote:
The color of the city’s new taxi for boroughs outside Manhattan was unveiled Sunday by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, and in the mayor’s eyes the hue was an “apple green.”
I don't get it. I know the yellow cabs don't like exiting the central business districts due to the lack of consistent pickups. At the same time does it make sense to have separate cab companies in one city? At a time when yellow cab service seems to really be expanding into the outer boroughs due to increased density.

Also, why this design and not the NYC specific cabs being rolled out by the Yellow Cab company?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/30/ny...y.html?_r=1&hp

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-30-2012 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation: Post a link if the image is not your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,443,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post

I don't get it. I know the yellow cabs don't like exiting the central business districts due to the lack of consistent pickups. At the same time does it make sense to have separate cab companies in one city? At a time when yellow cab service seems to really be expanding into the outer boroughs due to increased density.

Also, why this design and not the NYC specific cabs being rolled out by the Yellow Cab company?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/30/ny...y.html?_r=1&hp

I knew something like this was going to happen either sooner or later. This is the best idea the TLC has come up with to color code taxis based on a boroughs destination. I predict that these green taxis will most likely hover around business and civic areas of the outer boroughs like downtown Brooklyn or Yankee Stadium area of The Bronx. Yellow taxis can really be a pain in the butt and some times a thorn in your side. Countless times when I party up in Manhattan and wanted to take a taxi home I would run into countless sub Saharan African and South Asian taxi drivers who will be reluctant on not traveling to the Bronx and I also seen a few who also don't travel to Brooklyn as well even if its Wburg or Park Slope. Some years back I lied to a taxi driver that I live near Yankee Stadium and on the approach to the Bronx I made him take a detour to my destination of intent. Lately with all of the growth of density of North and West Brooklyn, West Queens, South Bronx, Harlem and the Heights I have seen a slight increase of yellow taxis dropping off Transplants and tourist in those areas as of late. What I do feel sorry for is those gypsy cab drivers who will be priced out by these green taxis and many are poor African and Dominican immigrants who drive these gypsy and livery cabs.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 AM

457 posts, read 511,784 times
Can't wait!!! I bet the yellow cabs will be open to pick up people outside the sex and the city areas.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 AM

20,164 posts, read 26,469,688 times
Would GREEN Yellow cabs be CHARTREUSE?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 AM

46,054 posts, read 28,292,753 times
Many cities have more than one big cab company functioning in it. It will be nice having better options for cabs. My friends have had some interesting encounters with cabs when wanting to go back to Brooklyn.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:13 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,567,530 times
It is kinda ridiculous that we have to create a seperate class of cabs because the existing fleet won't serve the 4 other boroughs...don't you agree? Practically speaking however, the new green cabs are just fine for me and I hope that they fill the void we have in the boroughs. The idea of actually getting a metered cab in Mott Haven is like a fantasy world...can't wait!

I also agree that I am seeing more yellow cabs in the Southern Bronx areas, like Mott Haven. I think it is partially because more cab drivers are moving into the community, and partially because of the increased newbies moving in.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,996,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is kinda ridiculous that we have to create a seperate class of cabs because the existing fleet won't serve the 4 other boroughs...don't you agree? Practically speaking however, the new green cabs are just fine for me and I hope that they fill the void we have in the boroughs. The idea of actually getting a metered cab in Mott Haven is like a fantasy world...can't wait!

I also agree that I am seeing more yellow cabs in the Southern Bronx areas, like Mott Haven. I think it is partially because more cab drivers are moving into the community, and partially because of the increased newbies moving in.
So these new cabs WILL have meters? If so that's really good.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM

460 posts, read 512,333 times
Can someone explain the difference in use between the current yellow cabs and these new green cabs? I think I'm missing something.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM

4,891 posts, read 8,987,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Can't wait!!! I bet the yellow cabs will be open to pick up people outside the sex and the city areas.
They always could. But lets face it, there's no money in driving back and fourth to the Bronx.
Easier to just take a ton of local runs I would think.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:18 PM

67 posts, read 94,930 times
Default Apple green livery cabs in outboroughs coming soon

What do you think? Would you use them? I wonder about the impact of these cabs on car services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City