U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,520,171 times

Advertisements

NYC could use more cheap hotels by LaGuardia. I was watching The Stoler Report yesterday and they were discussing hotel development and one of the guests mentioned that they could not get a room in Queens near LGA three months in advance of their travel date.

If Willets Point is to be developed, including some inexpensive hotels seems like it would be a sure bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 AM

1,682 posts, read 2,631,813 times
LGA also needs an Airtrain or subway extension, badly. There is only one hotel on the list at Willets Point. Citi Field and LGA will create a very high demand for that sort of development. The Corona/East Elmhurst and Flushing areas of Queens are going to see major redevelopment once Willets Point is completed, even now it's happening. I have especially high hopes for the Flushing CBD. High as in Downtown Brooklyn high.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 04-30-2012 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
LGA also needs an Airtrain or subway extension, badly. There is only one hotel on the list at Willets Point. Citi Field and LGA will create a very high demand for that sort of development. The Corona/East Elmhurst and Flushing areas of Queens are going to see major redevelopment once Willets Point is completed, even now it's happening. I have especially high hopes for the Flushing CBD. High as in Downtown Brooklyn high.

An Airtrain for LGA would be great. I think there's only one bus M60 from Manhattan. The only other way is to the 74th St/Broadway - Roosevelt Avenue/Jackson Heights subway and taking a local bus.

The traffic bottleneck on the GCP could really be alleviated with some transportation alternatives.

Some local hotels would help too.

Where would you propose the Airtrain originate?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM

2,005 posts, read 4,278,733 times
Default need cheap auto parts not more starbucks

Flushing is totally congested. Existing infrastructure cannot handle any more development. Who goes to NY and stays at LGA? The only reason i can see is if one was going to the US Open tennis championships. Maybe that is why the hotel is booked since that is about three months away.

I would build the airtrain right from the Shea Stadium stop to LGA.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Flushing is totally congested. Existing infrastructure cannot handle any more development. Who goes to NY and stays at LGA? The only reason i can see is if one was going to the US Open tennis championships. Maybe that is why the hotel is booked since that is about three months away.

I would build the airtrain right from the Shea Stadium stop to LGA.
As I said in the original post, people come to NYC and stay in cheap hotels outside of Manhattan because it's what they can afford. Obviously there's a demand or this person -- I wrote about someone looking for a room near LGA, three months in advance of their vacation date, and no rooms were available. They were coming to town for a wedding.

In many cities, there are hotels right near the airports. New York is one of few cities that does not have this. They are convenient and economical. You should see how many people stay at the hotels along Queens Blvd and ride the 7 train into Manhattan. They are often tourists from outside the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City