U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 AM

51,289 posts, read 50,539,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
Yeah, I guess, but the design still seems out-of-place somewhat. Reminds me of the modern London skyline, which I think is utterly tasteless.

Edit: I guess I'm biased because I saw the towers fall with my own eyes. I wish they built the same exact towers. Somehow it seems to me that the people, who died there would rest in piece if the original towers were back...
Interesting thought. I have a different perspective. I worked in One for almost 20 years and ran out of it on 9/11/2001. Also saw them fall, very close up (always amazed that the sound of those buildings falling does not pick up on the video--it sounds so much quieter.) Lost a lot of coworkers. I worked for a time on the project (the PATH part of it, not the new One.) I am one of the volunteers at Tribute WTC that does the walking tours on the new memorial plaza. New Yorkers don't care about it and don't come--95% of our visitors are from out of state or foreign countries, and they are profoundly impacted by what they see and hear there. Usually the excuse for New Yorkers not liking the Tribute Center and what it does is that they lived through it once and don't want to be reminded, but that does not take into account the feelings of people like Lee Ielpi, its founder, and the other family members or survivors for whom being involved in preserving the history was a way of memorializing their dead family members and their own awful memories of the day. I guess it's a matter of perspective and how close you were to the event.

To me, rebuilding was an important part of healing, of moving forward, of taking a place that's been the center of commerce for 400 years and rebuilding for the next generations who will be there after we move on. I like the new buildings, especially as they should look if they ever complete all four, and I also accept the reasons why the old design could not be rebuilt again. I understand that there will always be people who won't accept that, though, and they have the right to feel that way, too. I myself will always love looking at photos of the New York skyline pre-9/11, and while I'll obviously be at the site for some time to come, I would not work there again. That's for the next generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 AM

1,682 posts, read 2,627,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
Yeah, I guess, but the design still seems out-of-place somewhat. Reminds me of the modern London skyline, which I think is utterly tasteless.

Edit: I guess I'm biased because I saw the towers fall with my own eyes. I wish they built the same exact towers. Somehow it seems to me that the people, who died there would rest in piece if the original towers were back...
The NYC will become increasingly modern, it's inevitable. What's modern now will be considered classic in 100 years. I don't understand your distress though, there are tons of modern towers from various areas all over the place. We have a mixed skyline, which is why it is very different when compared topay cities which are largely classic or modern.

WTC will only hold the title briefly. There are a number of new towers planned or under construction that will pass it in Midtown.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:20 AM

41 posts, read 156,532 times

Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 AM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
Quote:
The NYC will become increasingly modern, it's inevitable. What's modern now will be considered classic in 100 years.

Not necessarily. Stuff that was built in the 1960's as "modern" like the corporate towers up Sixth Avenue in midtown today come across as HIDEOUS, not "classic."
They will never look like anything except cheap junk built to utilize every legally allowed cubic inch of space and nothing more.
In 100 years they'll all have been torn down.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,723,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Not necessarily. Stuff that was built in the 1960's as "modern" like the corporate towers up Sixth Avenue in midtown today come across as HIDEOUS, not "classic."
They will never look like anything except cheap junk built to utilize every legally allowed cubic inch of space and nothing more.
In 100 years they'll all have been torn down.
I agree with you at least 100%

Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM

457 posts, read 511,342 times
Have all the floors being leased out yet? LOL

Not sure what company would want to work there after the horrible events that transpired in that location. I bet a good portion of the floors will be empty.

I wonder if the landlord gets a tax benefit from being in that location.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 AM

240 posts, read 494,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post

Not sure what company would want to work there after the horrible events that transpired in that location. I bet a good portion of the floors will be empty.

Good points! I remember that the original twin towers for many years were a nightmare to fill with interested tenants. To a point where the city itself decided to get the ball rolling by moving a bunch of its offices over there ..to little effect as occupancy was never optimal.

Now out of stupid pride we went and built an even bigger useless dinosaur.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:58 AM

5,373 posts, read 7,665,056 times
Way to go NYC! Taking the crown from Chicago!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 AM

51,289 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuyOC View Post
Good points!
No, not really. The building's nowhere near close to being leased up and probably won't be for a long time, but I'm not sure why one would pretend to be "not sure what company would want to work there" with all the hoopla last year about C&W getting Conde Nast signed on. And Vantone Industrial has been signed up for years.

And Kal's last sentence makes zero sense. The "landlord" of One WTC is the PA, or at least a subsidiary thereof. The PA's tax breaks are the main reason the city was after the PA to sell and/or lease the original, buildings...'member?

Quote:
I remember that the original twin towers for many years were a nightmare to fill with interested tenants. To a point where the city itself decided to get the ball rolling by moving a bunch of its offices over there ..to little effect as occupancy was never optimal.

Now out of stupid pride we went and built an even bigger useless dinosaur.
The WTC was at 95 percent occupany for at least a year before and up until September 11, 2001--virtually full occupancy.

Why do I get the feeling the posters on this thread were 12 years old at the time of the attacks? Don't seem to know very basic information.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 AM

2,868 posts, read 4,041,941 times
I love architecture and that includes tall buildings as well. I really think WTC-1 is a beautiful building and if they can't rent the top floors I say turn them in to affordable housing units and I'll take one in a heartbeat!

Tower 4 is making great progress and towers 2, 3, and 5 will also be very interesting buildings as well. Although WTC-7 was completed in 2006 it appears to be the most generic of them all.

With all of that being said I believe any building should be measured to the roof. I don't believe that a spire or an antenna actually counts in my book. Although, spires and even some antennas can be aesthetically pleasing they still don't count as far as I'm concerned. Without WTC-1's antenna it's rooftop height will actually be just a couple of feet taller than the original towers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City