U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-13-2012, 05:56 PM

251 posts, read 133,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
We don't.....Dubai does and they have the tallest for mixed use....Between the Middle East and China there are plans to build another 40 supertalls and 5 mega tallls over the next decade.
Yeah, but it doesn't have the title of worlds tallest All Office building. We will. Most another supertalls built or under construction are usually residential/hotels/office/retail in one building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-13-2012, 05:58 PM

251 posts, read 133,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
They should have just rebuilt the towers, the way they were before. I know that NYC is seen as a second Britania but come on. I also heard the construction team was from Europe, or something like that.

Seriously, is that the best they can do. It looks worst then before. Their has to be some sorta cultural meaning towards this thing.
The construction teams are from America and Canada. Why rebuild something that was flawed from the get go?

Unread 05-13-2012, 06:51 PM

25,312 posts, read 16,813,390 times
Quote:
They should have just rebuilt the towers, the way they were before. I know that NYC is seen as a second Britania but come on. I also heard the construction team was from Europe, or something like that.

Seriously, is that the best they can do. It looks worst then before. Their has to be some sorta cultural meaning towards this thing.

ROFL, the stuff people will make up out of thin air and post on message boards. Much ado has been made of the steel being put up by NY Mohawk steelworkers. Yeah, real European.

Unread 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
The construction teams are from America and Canada. Why rebuild something that was flawed from the get go?
Exactly. And how could you rebuild the same thing, given that the fire/life safety codes have been changed? Makes no sense. Since 9/11, seminars and conferences have been held in the engineering world scrutinizing the collapses so that they can design better and safer buildings. They're not going to just toss all that knowledge out the window for sentimentality.

Unread 05-13-2012, 08:09 PM

118 posts, read 84,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
ROFL, the stuff people will make up out of thin air and post on message boards. Much ado has been made of the steel being put up by NY Mohawk steelworkers. Yeah, real European.
The last time I checked on the status, of the building was when they were having a competition over how it was going to be built. They had various concept designs as well. In the end it was described that builders would just rebuild it the way it was before. That was the last, I heard about this.

I also saw on the news about Americans, who would be ready and waiting to work on the towers for free. However, again on the news I heard the construction was going to be handled by an over seas company.

Unread 05-13-2012, 10:02 PM

2,168 posts, read 1,053,839 times
Someone posted a thread about this in the city vs city discussion.

source: One World Trade Center may not get "America's tallest building" status - CBS News

Unread 05-14-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
The last time I checked on the status, of the building was when they were having a competition over how it was going to be built. They had various concept designs as well. In the end it was described that builders would just rebuild it the way it was before. That was the last, I heard about this.

I also saw on the news about Americans, who would be ready and waiting to work on the towers for free. However, again on the news I heard the construction was going to be handled by an over seas company.
Wow. I have no idea what your "news" source was for such bad information, but it's way off base. And had to be years ago besides. There was a conceptual design competition for the site back in 2003 or '04, but NEVER was it seriously considered that towers like the originals would be built again. Construction on this building began in 2006. And the idea that foreign construction workers would be brought in to do the actual work had to be a tale told by someone with zero knowledge of the NY construction industry and its unions.

At any rate, it's not as though there even is one construction company. There is Tishman, a construction management firm overseeing and coordinating the project for the owner, and multiple contractors doing the actual work. This is all very public information.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-14-2012 at 05:44 AM..

Unread 05-14-2012, 05:43 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,150,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Not necessarily. Stuff that was built in the 1960's as "modern" like the corporate towers up Sixth Avenue in midtown today come across as HIDEOUS, not "classic."
They will never look like anything except cheap junk built to utilize every legally allowed cubic inch of space and nothing more.
In 100 years they'll all have been torn down.
You don't know. Brutalism and modern architecture fell out of favor. They are still in their first falling out of favor. The pendulum always comes swinging back around in 100 years it very well could be considered beautiful by some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City