U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,177,995 times

Advertisements

City Cuts Funding to Nearly 200 After-School Programs - DNAinfo.com

So this is where the city governments' priorities are...SMH. This could have very negative effects in more than one way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,742,168 times
dude that money is needed for bike lanes, munimeters and pedestrian plazas... the city can't be spending frivolous money on kids and their after school activities... come on now...

Ultimately, the moral of this story is, when you have a boatload of money, you can buy off the right people and basically do whatever you want... Reasoning is not necessary...

Last edited by anon1; 04-30-2012 at 11:16 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 AM

14,907 posts, read 17,467,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
dude that money is needed for bike lanes, munimeters and pedestrian plazas... the city can't be spending frivolous money on kids and their after school activities... come on now...

Ultimately, the moral of this story is, when you have a boatload of money, you can buy off the right people and basically do whatever you want... Reasoning is not necessary...
So true partners in wealth Bloomberg and Soros. After hearing this story about cutting funding for after school programs for over 200 schools, all I see is this more children particular young male youths will join gangs and females youths will end up getting pregnant early. You know single mothers of this city is in a huge abundance and majority can not afford after school activities for their kids even if they recieve child support aide from an ex lover and living in rent stablized housing. Dont worry call grandma who is living in Florida to fly over to watch your kids after school while the single mother slaves at a 9-7 job at some office or at best buy. Bloomberg is a sick guy. At this very moment in time the decline of Americas education system is a bigger threat to America and this city than the next pending terrorist attack or natural disaster. Children demand extra education mentally and physically activities and thats what after school programs provide.

In other news no guns for Cops and no hoses for Fire Fighters, however the city turns the Hudson River into a riviera from Inwood to Battery Park.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-01-2012 at 01:54 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 AM

110 posts, read 253,377 times
This is so sad. I attended after school programs as a kid. We need more money in public schools, not less. I feel so sorry for all the kids that have to go to public school now.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,579,715 times
Do we really believe it is the lack of money that is the problem with the school system in NYC? Really? If they doubled the amount of money to the school system, the result would be more bureacracy and waste, actual learning would be unaffected.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,824,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Do we really believe it is the lack of money that is the problem with the school system in NYC? Really? If they doubled the amount of money to the school system, the result would be more bureacracy and waste, actual learning would be unaffected.
Look no further than New Jersey to see ineffective just doubling money is.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,279,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Exactly Sobro. It's NOT lack of funding. It's lack of test scores and low regents scores that are the main reason for shutting down schools. My niece teaches at our old high school and that school is being shut down, as well as 3 other high schools in that area. From what she and other school employees told me, one large school is being built and these 4 schools are going to be transferred there. My concern is that whole "school rivalry" thing. They all said that each school will have it's own floor. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I'm probably gonna stir the pot here, but many educators have agreed (I was speaking to 4 educators just last week and my aunt used to be a principal up in Highland, NY) that the "No Child Left Behind" program started this mess. When you bus kids in from low income and low educated areas, it affects the school rankings. If you live within NYS, you don't get a choice where you go to school. You go where you're zoned.

There's lack of funding for school supplies and copy paper and day-to-day classroom supplies but some how there's plenty o' money to line the superindentents's pockets, the B of E administrators and school board members' pockets.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM

1,746 posts, read 3,428,860 times
If the government doesn't reduce funding for public schools then the quality of the education the students are receiving would slowly rise. If that happens, then more students would get into college or trade schools and create a middle class life for themselves. Likewise, the supply of low skilled, low paid food workers, janitors and domestic help that the wealthy can crush under their heel would fall--and this would be a terrible terrible crisis. (sarcasm)

Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,846,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
After hearing this story about cutting funding for after school programs for over 200 schools, all I see is this more children particular young male youths will join gangs and females youths will end up getting pregnant early.
Is it truly THAT impossible that this population make a different and more responsible set of decisions ? Or that, once they fail to, they are held accountable for their actions ? Held to the same standard that applies to everyone else ?

This is such a prevalent and unproductive logic.

"Buy my candy [on the subway] or I will be robbin' and stealin'."

From the dirt bike rider set - "Put up with us or we will tear up the city !"

Why not place the responsibility where it firmly belongs. The unwed teenagers become pregnant because they choose to have unprotected sex.

Adolescents join gangs because parents are irresponsible and incompetent, failing to direct their children to more productive activities. Note, as well, the relationship to the observation above. Most of these parents had no business whatsoever having even one child.

An adolescent obtains a gun because someone, an adult, participated in the import of weapons from the south - as is well known to happen every day in Central Harlem. Guns and cigarettes.

Broadly speaking, this and more happens because the surrounding community supports such things, even if implicitly. You are either with it or against it - no gray area.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,846,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'm probably gonna stir the pot here, but many educators have agreed (I was speaking to 4 educators just last week and my aunt used to be a principal up in Highland, NY) that the "No Child Left Behind" program started this mess.
But this is absolutely the problem. I doubt anyone would argue with that.

However ... as is the case with everything in our society, the involvement of parents, community, etc. can change things. The challenge is - those most needy students ARE needy precisely because they are in homes that are completely irresponsible. Many "parents" I talk to, people on public assistance and/or from the projects, believe that it is the job of the schools to socialize and discipline their children. It is a manifestation of "where my check at." Once that child is of school age, their responsibilities in child rearing end. This mentality is assisted quite a bit by the victim narratives.

The littering problem is another manifestation of this mentality. There is a hard-held conviction that "the city" cleans their litter and that they are entitled to this "service."

Look on the food stamps thread ! In the comments, many indications that people simply do not get the fact that the tax payers are handing them money - not some mythical entity they understand to be "the government." Purchases are most certainly tax payer business because unhealthy food makes people sick and the tax payers must then foot the bill to deal with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or