U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 AM

187 posts, read 216,285 times
Default NY EZ PASS vs. NJ EZ PASS

Hello,

I currently have NY EZ PASS, but I live in NJ and use NJ Turnpike a lot to commute. Would I get a better rate if I get a NJ EZ PASS? How about going thru Holland Tunnel? Which one is better? Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Atsushi
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 AM

1,033 posts, read 531,113 times
I once had a NJ EZ Pass and then switched to a NY one a while back. I think Jersey charges a $1-$2/month maintenance fee - which pizzed me off.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 AM

9,283 posts, read 15,083,908 times
I think that the only discounts that apply in NJ are based upon zip code, where you would need a NJ EZ-Pass, as opposed to a participating member system's EZ-Pass. I see no difference with my NY EZ-Pass, and that of one used in the DC area on the NJTurnpike, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM

1,033 posts, read 700,393 times
Not sure if this helps but a Staten Island NY EZPASS offers a substantial discount on the Verrazano Bridge.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM

3,524 posts, read 1,873,474 times
With a NY EzPass, one doesn't get the discounts on the Turnpike or GSP tolls. Take that into consideration.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM

I get the NJTurnpike and GSP discounts for off-peak travel with both E-ZPasses, as NJ offers it to customers of the system, not just NJ residents. There are some NJ-only discounts, but that depends upon the zip code of residence, not whether or not one has a pass from NJ.

Here's a link to the NJ Tolls: New Jersey Turnpike Authority that shows the available discounts via E-ZPass.

City-Data FAQs

Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 AM

Have you checked that recently? NJ suspended discounts on non-NJ EzPasses not too long ago. NY did the same thing in response. My wife has one and I have the other so I deal with it depending on who's car we are in.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM

It's all right here:

New Jersey Turnpike Authority

Residency doesn't matter, just where the EZ Pass was purchased. My wife still has her NJ one and it still gets the discounts even though she is now a NY resident.

Edit: just noticed you provided the same link. It's all in there. Wherever it specifies NJ Ezpass program, a NJ Ezpass is required. It's not based on residency.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM

Now that you mention it, I do recall the tit-for-tat response between NJ and NY over the discounts issue. I just checked my statement, and it's correct, but that applies only to the Turnpike for the OP. The bridges and tunnels are Port Authority controlled, so one would still get the off-peak discounts, and the enrolled discounts for the SI bridges, so I'd go with a NJ-based EZPass because of the issue if one wanted discounts on the Turnpike, though one would not get the discounts in NY. Of course, you could have two transponders and use the one in NJ for the discounts, switching to NY for NY-based uses.

City-Data FAQs

Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
With a NY EzPass, one doesn't get the discounts on the Turnpike or GSP tolls. Take that into consideration.
I don't get why. It should work anywhere. I just signed up for the NY Ezpass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City