U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:58 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,747,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
NOMINATE, CAMPAIGN-FOR, ELECT, AND PRESSURE POLITICIANS TO DO WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO
That would be the real solution, wouldn't it? But I suspect you know as well as I do that it's not gonna happen. Just take our last Presidential election as an example...

There was a lot of crowing in the media at the margin of President Obama's victory--a full million popular votes. One million of anything sounds impressive, but somehow they managed to gloss over the fact that 6.5 million (for Obama) and 5.5 million (for McCain) adds up to a somewhat less-than-impressive total of 12 million popular votes cast. In a nation of more than 200 million, that's an awful lot of people who couldn't be bothered to vote.

And Presidential elections usually have a higher turnout than local ones. Until people stop whining and start voting, nothing is going to change anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 AM

46,054 posts, read 28,304,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That would be the real solution, wouldn't it? But I suspect you know as well as I do that it's not gonna happen. Just take our last Presidential election as an example...

There was a lot of crowing in the media at the margin of President Obama's victory--a full million popular votes. One million of anything sounds impressive, but somehow they managed to gloss over the fact that 6.5 million (for Obama) and 5.5 million (for McCain) adds up to a somewhat less-than-impressive total of 12 million popular votes cast. In a nation of more than 200 million, that's an awful lot of people who couldn't be bothered to vote.

And Presidential elections usually have a higher turnout than local ones. Until people stop whining and start voting, nothing is going to change anywhere.
Low voter numbers has always been depressing in this country.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM

457 posts, read 512,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Now there's a take on it I've never heard before
Think about it!! this movement came out of nowhere with high media coverage and $$$$. Someone is behind this "movement."

Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Crypto Nazi...new buzzword generated by the haters on DU?

"Crypto Nazi" is only a new word to those who haven't read anything for the last 50 years.

Quote:
The term is largely credited to Gore Vidal. In a television interview during the chaos of the 1968 Democratic National Convention, Vidal described William F. Buckley, Jr. as a "crypto-Nazi", later correcting himself as meaning to say "crypto-fascist". However, the term had appeared five years earlier in a German language book by the sociologist Theodor W. Adorno, Der getreue Korrepetitor (The Faithful Répétiteur).[1]
The Vidal-Buckley altercation was televised nationwide.

Here yah go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8

Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,938,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Think about it!! this movement came out of nowhere with high media coverage and $$$$. Someone is behind this "movement."
High media coverage and $$$ ? What planet do you live on?

Not even Alex would come up with such a looney statement.

Last edited by likeminas; 05-04-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times
I have seen lots of grass roots movements but nothing of this size has ever be so completely ignored by the mass media than the OWS movement. Perhaps it only rival was a complete media blackout on the millions marching nationwide and WORLDWIDE to prevent Bush blasting Iraq into the dark ages on the weekend before he slaughtered 100,000 civilians in the gratest war crime of the current century.

I echo likeminas' statement: "What planet do you live on?"

Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,335,899 times
You know the other major grass roots movement that I think YOU miss. Its called GTW. We, the producers of the world, wake up every morning, get on mass transit and then proceed to do something OWS and its sympathizers find to difficult to do. Its called work...maybe you read about it.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 AM

46,054 posts, read 28,304,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
You know the other major grass roots movement that I think YOU miss. Its called GTW. We, the producers of the world, wake up every morning, get on mass transit and then proceed to do something OWS and its sympathizers find to difficult to do. Its called work...maybe you read about it.
Oh yes, great post when you ignore the unemployment numbers, especially the unemployment numbers of young people. Want to see them stop protesting, then we need to make jobs in this country again...the country needs more jobs...funny, that is what the Republicans ran on in 2010, but then got into office and have done nothing but attack civil liberties, women's rights, and so on, yet no jobs, even though that was the message they ran on....less that two years ago that happened, people seem to forget too quickly.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM

509 posts, read 2,064,809 times
Quote:

Uhhhh...where on earth are you getting your numbers? Over 130million, or about ~60% of the eligible voting population turned out in 2008. Obama won by over 8 million votes.

President - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 AM

280 posts, read 245,492 times
Quote:

Numbers are wonderful things when you don't have to base them on reality, and can just pull them out of thin air, aren't they?

For those of us who prefer facts to sheer imagination, though, the popular vote for Obama in 2008 was 69,456,897 and the popular vote for McCain was 59,934,814. The total number of votes cast for all candidates was 131,257,328. Here is the source:
http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2008/2008presgeresults.pdf
You somehow missed more than 90% of the votes that were actually cast. And by the way, the population of the United States in November of 2008 was about 302 million; the figure "200 million" was last correct all the way back in 1968.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City