Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times

Advertisements

westchester lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 02:47 PM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
I think the best bet would be Bedford Mosholu area of the Bronx. Walk to Botanical Gardens Metro North station where they just put up a brand new parking garage with inexpensive daily/monthly parking and it's only 20 minutes to White Plains or Grand Central.

Bedford Park, Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM

27 posts, read 93,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Your insurance will be higher in the city than Westchester, but Manhattan is lower than the other boroughs, with Brooklyn being the worst. I would encourage a garage for the car, though, as having the car in an insured commercial garage can result in a favorable rate from your insurer. Check out http://nyc.bestparking.com to compare rates as there is a variance by neighborhood, and even within a neighborhood. If the car is not being used on a daily basis, then it might make sense to look to a garage that is removed from the immediate vicinity of your building.

The UWS is not terribly convenient for a Westchester commute, however, as you have to get to Grand Central Terminal or 125th Street, using the subway to the S to Grand Central, or the subway to 125th and a walk or bus across 125th to the MNRR station. The east side could save 20-30 minutes each way in terms of a commute, but if you prefer the UWS, it's worth the extra hassle. The UWS can be a relatively easy drive to Westchester, using the HH Parkway to the Saw Mill to the Cross County to the Hutch or Sprain to White Plains, but you do have to pay bidirectional tolls at the Henry Hudson Bridge, crossing into Riverdale. The unfortunate problem is that on the return trip, you can meet heavy traffic in the afternoon, in the vicinity of the GWB.
I thought UWS would be a far easier commute then UES having a vehicle whereas if I went UES I would lean towards getting rid of the car and using Harlem to commute in.

Also heard good things about Astoria in terms of COL but commute again is a bit rough using a vehicle or a PITA to commute into GC and going from there

Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
being that you work in tarrytown, why not live in inwood?

you can easily take the bus (or even walk) to the marble hill station and be in tarrytown very quickly (three stops on the express train).

you could also live in kingsbridge or marble hill, both places you'll be fine with your car as well.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVtoNY View Post
I thought UWS would be a far easier commute then UES having a vehicle whereas if I went UES I would lean towards getting rid of the car and using Harlem to commute in.

Also heard good things about Astoria in terms of COL but commute again is a bit rough using a vehicle or a PITA to commute into GC and going from there
We agree, I was saying the UWS was more difficult for a public transportation commute, as opposed to the UES, should you get rid of the car on the UWS. Astoria would be a pain to drive to Westchester, I agree. I would go toward the Bronx before Queens for a Westchester commute.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 PM

27 posts, read 93,310 times
I am now leaning towards initially keeping my car in the North WP Lot and the commuting in directly to work via shuttle that has set pick ups at the North WP station however having the vehicle there gives me a little flexibility. Hence I am now leaning towards UWS or UES (which gives me a little flexibility to use either Harlem or Grand Central).

Thanks for the other suggestions in the Bronx, however I really want to experience living in the city and get the full experience, even if the commute is a little bit of a hassle compared to living in Bronx.

I guess I should next look into is UWS vs UES?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Just be sure that you can park overnight at the train station, or for days on end, if you do not use the car during the day. Some stations allow overnight parking, and others do not, while some require a special permit for overnight use.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-12-2012, 10:35 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,552 times
I would do UES. IF you are renting, you can get some good rentals in the 70s for around 1370-1700. But they will be way east. the good thing is, you'll be equidistant to Grand Central and Harlem. If you do UWS, you'd have a harder commute to Grand Central or Harlem. Traveling north/south is always faster than going East/West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City