U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 AM

555 posts, read 1,001,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's true if you don't have any expectations or ambitions. But if you start thinking about the future (which most people don't), then you need to do a little better than retail. If all you want is to have something to avoid being unemployed, then yes, there's always retail.

Retirement is just an abstraction when you're running around imagining that you're invincible. Wait a few years. And while you're waiting, check out the retail stores in your neighborhood and see how many 62-year-olds are working there, counting the days until they can retire on their pensions from the retail industry (excuse me; my sarcasm alarm just starting ringing...)

I respectfullly disagree with you. Retial teaches you to interact with customers and also sales..and if we are talking on a $ basis, who makes more then commision oriented people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM

555 posts, read 1,001,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBronxite View Post
You’re kidding right?

The retail industry makes up two thirds of the Gross Domestic Product of our country. Look at how many retail companies are within the top 10 of the Fortune 500 list including #1-Walmart, Ford, GE, General Motors…. Many of these companies offer great management training programs that allow for more upward mobility than you would not find in other industries. Retail is a great CAREER for someone with leadership and management potential. On the other hand it offers a great job and benefits for those without work that are using our tax dollars to receive government handouts. Yes, where someone will end up within any company is up to their own personal goals, ambition, and work but at the end of the day you need a cashier at the store level in order for executives at the corporate level to get paid. Look at how retail companies are trading on the NYSE… do you think this is play money? There needs to be a successful operation in order for these companies to stay profitable. This starts at the store level for many of these companies.

And you mention retirement, these companies offer 401K that MATCH your contribution, how is that not introductory preparation for retirement?

I would gladly take my Ivy-League degree along with management experience and work for an international retail company. For the right price of course.

Agree 100%. I have a friend, had to get his GED. Started out working retial at junky Millers Outpost that had almost no business.He is now a regional manager for a different retial company

Old 05-04-2012, 03:15 PM

196 posts, read 253,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeLoNLoCoBx View Post
ok thanks n sobro i forgot about jimmy jazz imma hit 'em up.

bronxite do you mean get dressed in a shirt n tie, not sure if i want to do that? I usually wear tight skinny jeans, rocawear/polo, my NY fitted, n rock new jordans. If u saw me u probably say DAMN THAT CAT GOT SWAG
well based on your taste, it seems it would be a good idea to look into stores that cater to your aesthetic. yes, i'm talking about your foot lockers, etc but don't overlook the small sneaker stores or locally owned boutiques. if you are looking to make a career out of this, they may be better as far as the amount you could learn there. for example, i worked at a small american eagle store...while i was there i was able to literally learn how to run the store as a manager. it even got to the point that if a manager was unable to make it they called me in...this eventually led to me getting the management position that opened. however, if i was at a larger store, the chances of that happening would be slim to none.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:52 PM

240 posts, read 494,594 times
Quote:
What r the best jobs in retail 2 get?

Don't worry about it; you wouldn't qualify anyway, they're all strict on personal hygeine.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 PM

880 posts, read 1,661,440 times
First, drop the "gangster-wannabe swag" thing you have going on. It's not going to be taken seriously anywhere in the professional world (if you even call retail professional).

Second, I worked at a retail store 2 months ago and every time you leave the building, you get searched. It's stupid but that's what happens when you have paranoid managers. Good luck with getting in retail - it's a horrible field.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:52 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,157,306 times
With the economy how it is, retail jobs are even hard to come by. I have been working in CVS for 4 years. I'm 23 going to be 24 in October. I have a couple of friends who are 25 and 26 and they work in CVS as a stock person. Really hard to get a job these days. Nothing wrong with retail.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,157,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
First, drop the "gangster-wannabe swag" thing you have going on. It's not going to be taken seriously anywhere in the professional world (if you even call retail professional).

Second, I worked at a retail store 2 months ago and every time you leave the building, you get searched. It's stupid but that's what happens when you have paranoid managers. Good luck with getting in retail - it's a horrible field.
It's not a horrible field if you have the passion to move up in that field.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 AM

196 posts, read 253,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post

while i agree with the first part about the way he speaks, i would have to disagree completely with the "if you even call retail professional". i'm pretty sure you would call someone making a six figure income a professional, right? it's not unheard of for sales associates working on commission to make that much, especially if they are dealing with luxury brands. secondly, as you stated before, you worked in retail. so i would expect you of all people to know retail extends past the cashier/stock room positions to the shift/store managers all the way up the ceo's and buyers.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
Quote:
ok thanks n sobro i forgot about jimmy jazz imma hit 'em up.

bronxite do you mean get dressed in a shirt n tie, not sure if i want to do that? I usually wear tight skinny jeans, rocawear/polo, my NY fitted, n rock new jordans. If u saw me u probably say DAMN THAT CAT GOT SWAG
You can't be serious. You gotta be joking. There is nothing new or original about that look.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's true if you don't have any expectations or ambitions. But if you start thinking about the future (which most people don't), then you need to do a little better than retail. If all you want is to have something to avoid being unemployed, then yes, there's always retail.

Retirement is just an abstraction when you're running around imagining that you're invincible. Wait a few years. And while you're waiting, check out the retail stores in your neighborhood and see how many 62-year-olds are working there, counting the days until they can retire on their pensions from the retail industry (excuse me; my sarcasm alarm just starting ringing...)
Some people do pretty okay at higher level sales or in management. I know one woman who makes close to $70,000 managing a Starbucks. Not bad at all for someone with no college degree. If she had a degree she could move up even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or