U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 PM

880 posts, read 1,664,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
while i agree with the first part about the way he speaks, i would have to disagree completely with the "if you even call retail professional". i'm pretty sure you would call someone making a six figure income a professional, right? it's not unheard of for sales associates working on commission to make that much, especially if they are dealing with luxury brands. secondly, as you stated before, you worked in retail. so i would expect you of all people to know retail extends past the cashier/stock room positions to the shift/store managers all the way up the ceo's and buyers.
I think you misunderstood my statement there. While luxury retail stores may be high-maintenance, it is rarely as great when you work as a sales associate at, let's say Victoria's Secret or H&M. You don't get commission and chances of moving up are very slim. Believe me when I say things get really ugly when it comes to replenishing tables of clothing, versus repositioning some handbags on a shelf. A 5-figure income worker can just be as professional but 6-figure income workers aren't always as professional, seeing as most managers make antic moves in advantage of their power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:07 PM

196 posts, read 254,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
I think you misunderstood my statement there. While luxury retail stores may be high-maintenance, it is rarely as great when you work as a sales associate at, let's say Victoria's Secret or H&M. You don't get commission and chances of moving up are very slim. Believe me when I say things get really ugly when it comes to replenishing tables of clothing, versus repositioning some handbags on a shelf. A 5-figure income worker can just be as professional but 6-figure income workers aren't always as professional, seeing as most managers make antic moves in advantage of their power.
oh ok, i understand what you're saying now. well, the thing is..if he has the experience/education (i don't want to jump to conclusions, but something tells me he has neither), then he can command those commission positions...until such time he has to pay his dues. the retail industry isn't a jump in at the top/get rich quick industry...

Old 05-06-2012, 08:11 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,872,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
With the economy how it is, retail jobs are even hard to come by. I have been working in CVS for 4 years. I'm 23 going to be 24 in October. I have a couple of friends who are 25 and 26 and they work in CVS as a stock person. Really hard to get a job these days. Nothing wrong with retail.
Same here. I've been with retail since I was 18 and I'll be 23 in a few weeks.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,507,724 times
Retail jobs with hourly pay are bad enough.

However, when you get promoted to salaried, many companies will work you so many hours, your average wages will put you in the "squeegee man" range.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,163,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Same here. I've been with retail since I was 18 and I'll be 23 in a few weeks.
It is so hard to find a job that pays a lot of money. Most of my friends work in retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or