Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 17,214 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to NYC at the end of the month for a new job. My wife and I currently live in Spokane, Washington in a house. We will be downsizing to a one bedroom apartment in Manhattan. I am having some logistical issues planning our move out.

- We are flying out to the city at the end of the month. My friend is letting us stay at his place for a week or so while we apartment hunt. Any longer and we will have to move to a hotel or temporary space.
- We are selling almost all of our big stuff. Cars, furniture, beds, TV, etc. We only intend to move clothes, kitchen items, one bike, a tv stand, and a few other small items. I imagine we will end up with 5-10 big boxes when it is all packed.
- ABF and other moving companies have no interest in our "small load". They want to charge for at least 2300 lbs. This makes it prohibitively expensive to use a typical mover.
- UPS/Fedex is fine for shipping, however we will not have an address to ship to. I tried contacting a storage facility, but they will not receive packages shipped this way.

I am trying to avoid flying back to Washington just to drop the boxes in the mail. Ideally, I would simply have them shipped to a storage place that could hold them until we found our apartment.

Other ideas involve having them shipped to the UPS facility and held for pickup. This would require me to rent a truck to get them and haul them to a storage facility. Somewhat daunting of a task, but feasible.

Anyone else do this sort of move? I feel like I am missing something simple here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,648 times
I used UPS for this sort of thing. It was a lifesaver, it saved me SO much money that I would have had to spend on a U-haul or moving van. It wound up costing less than $150, a U-Haul would have been well over 2 grand.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 PM

25 posts, read 68,575 times
Well, I don't know what the limit is, but investigate the Bus companies, Trailways and/or Greyhound. They will take items in the belly of their buses.

Once has a GF who shiped a few boxes from NYC to Seattle.

Her stuff was mostly clothes and the like.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 PM

214 posts, read 673,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslatts View Post
Hello,

I am moving to NYC at the end of the month for a new job. My wife and I currently live in Spokane, Washington in a house. We will be downsizing to a one bedroom apartment in Manhattan. I am having some logistical issues planning our move out.

- We are flying out to the city at the end of the month. My friend is letting us stay at his place for a week or so while we apartment hunt. Any longer and we will have to move to a hotel or temporary space.
- We are selling almost all of our big stuff. Cars, furniture, beds, TV, etc. We only intend to move clothes, kitchen items, one bike, a tv stand, and a few other small items. I imagine we will end up with 5-10 big boxes when it is all packed.
- ABF and other moving companies have no interest in our "small load". They want to charge for at least 2300 lbs. This makes it prohibitively expensive to use a typical mover.
- UPS/Fedex is fine for shipping, however we will not have an address to ship to. I tried contacting a storage facility, but they will not receive packages shipped this way.

I am trying to avoid flying back to Washington just to drop the boxes in the mail. Ideally, I would simply have them shipped to a storage place that could hold them until we found our apartment.

Other ideas involve having them shipped to the UPS facility and held for pickup. This would require me to rent a truck to get them and haul them to a storage facility. Somewhat daunting of a task, but feasible.

Anyone else do this sort of move? I feel like I am missing something simple here.
If you rent a mailbox at the UPS Store or a Mailboxes, Etc., or something similar, they will accept UPS and FedEx packages on your behalf. But it's the chicken or egg sort of thing. You need to get the address, then ship the stuff. Best bet is to maybe try and get the mailbox ahead of time, but most places will require you to be there in person to get a mailbox. Can you leave the items with someone who could then ship them for you?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
If renting a truck to pick up boxes at a UPS facility is your biggest issue, then don't rent a truck. Just hire a man with a van. There are plenty who advertise their services on craigslist, and you might even be able to get a recommendation for one on yelp.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 PM

23 posts, read 48,727 times
Amtrak??

Amtrak - Plan - Planning & Booking - Baggage & Shipping - Amtrak Express Shipping

Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 AM

I just called Amtrak, and this might be the ticket! It will require me to rent a truck on the receiving side, but they don't need an address and the station is out in NJ so I can just dump straight into storage there.

Thanks for the idea!

J

Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Was going to say something but everyone already suggested and look like you found something. Sooo...all I got is.

Welcome to NYC

Old 05-06-2012, 02:16 PM

23 posts, read 48,727 times
Good luck!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Update for anyone else in the same boat:

I was prepared to go with Amtrak, but then based on some advice I read in another forum, we ended up getting a studio at a Related Real Estate building. We now have an address and we are simply shipping out our stuff via UPS. When it arrives, the Related folks will coordinate having it brought up to our apartment.

We are paying quite a bit more than I had intended, but the peace of mind and convenience is worth it. We will spend the next year figuring out where/how we really want to live.

Thanks again for the advice!
J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City