U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,279,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Am I the only one that has noticed this? From 74th street in Jackson Heights, to 42nd Street - Bryant Park, to Atlantic Avenue/Pacific Street, I've noticed Eastern European women asking for money. Most have a baby with them, and carry around signs.

Just today I noticed 4. One at Court Square in Queens, one on the B train at Bryant Park, and two at the Atlantic-Pacific stop. 3 of them had babies around 1 year old.

Who else has seen them?
Yes, I see her all the time. I work in that building and she's there down at the E at least once a week. I've seen them at the 42nd Street subway stop too. I don't know if they're using the baby as a way to get sympathy or if they are legitimately homeless. The ones I've seen are very well kept. Mother and baby seem very healthy. Not to get off topic, but there's a girl at the Court Sq stop with a sign and 2 dogs. I feel sorry for the dogs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I saw the accordian family on the M train I believe to Queens. I saw a woman with a baby at 53rd and Lex. I was more like, isn't this something CPS should be called for? Using a child to panhandle? Buy hey, gotta do what you gotta do.
I agree. Have you seen the little boy (around 10-12 yrs old) who plays classical piano? The father is there pimping him and selling CD's for $10. I found that to be very disturbing. I understand we do what we have to but at what point is it exploitation? Is dad keeping all this money? Does it go towards lessons or his education?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 AM

So last night I'm on the E train heading home and one of these women holding a baby comes walking by with her little cardboard sign and proceeds to walk to another car on the train WHILE THE TRAIN WAS MOVING.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,742,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
So last night I'm on the E train heading home and one of these women holding a baby comes walking by with her little cardboard sign and proceeds to walk to another car on the train WHILE THE TRAIN WAS MOVING.
I think I saw the same lady... I was getting on at the Jamaica Station stop and she was right on the bottom of the elevator with her kid holding up a sign... I immediately thought of this thread when I saw her... This is not the same lady I had seen before on the E train though and her daughter was around 5 or 6 years old, not a fake baby doll like the other one seemed to be carrying... I really felt bad for the little girl yesterday...

Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I think I saw the same lady... I was getting on at the Jamaica Station stop and she was right on the bottom of the elevator with her kid holding up a sign... I immediately thought of this thread when I saw her... This is not the same lady I had seen before on the E train though and her daughter was around 5 or 6 years old, not a fake baby doll like the other one seemed to be carrying... I really felt bad for the little girl yesterday...

This was between 7:15-7:30 pm. We were heading towards Jamaica but I wouldn't know if it was the same person. The one from yesterday was holding a baby about 2 yrs old or so. The ones I've seen have real babies, not dolls and I have seen 1 or 2 that have older kids between 3-5 yrs old. I really don't think they're homeless. I agree with what others said-they may just be gypsies because the mothers and children are not undernourished, they are clean and all appear healthy. If anything, the mothers have these horrible expressions attempting to tug at people's emotions. I don't buy it. There are many options for these women if they're legitimate. They can apply for aid rather than walking from car to car on a moving train or subjecting them and their children in subway stations.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:09 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,742,168 times
Quote:
This was between 7:15-7:30 pm. We were heading towards Jamaica but I wouldn't know if it was the same person. The one from yesterday was holding a baby about 2 yrs old or so. The ones I've seen have real babies, not dolls and I have seen 1 or 2 that have older kids between 3-5 yrs old. I really don't think they're homeless. I agree with what others said-they may just be gypsies because the mothers and children are not undernourished, they are clean and all appear healthy. If anything, the mothers have these horrible expressions attempting to tug at people's emotions. I don't buy it. There are many options for these women if they're legitimate. They can apply for aid rather than walking from car to car on a moving train or subjecting them and their children in subway stations.
Agreed.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,739,833 times
Quote:
I agree. Have you seen the little boy (around 10-12 yrs old) who plays classical piano? The father is there pimping him and selling CD's for $10. I found that to be very disturbing. I understand we do what we have to but at what point is it exploitation? Is dad keeping all this money? Does it go towards lessons or his education?
I saw that too. I can't see a kid saying, Daddy can I go to dirty smelly Herald Square Station and play piano for money? You know he is pushing the kid to pay his bills instead of working. Hey, the kid IS good though. I give some money just because he was pretty impressive for his age.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I saw that too. I can't see a kid saying, Daddy can I go to dirty smelly Herald Square Station and play piano for money? You know he is pushing the kid to pay his bills instead of working. Hey, the kid IS good though. I give some money just because he was pretty impressive for his age.
"Good" is understatement. I heard the music and thought I was going to see an adult or older person. Then I get closer and see a kid about my daughter's age! My daughter doesn't like classical music but she was seriously impressed and asked if she could give him some money lol

Old 05-09-2012, 06:03 PM

440 posts, read 774,013 times
I've seen all the above mentioned. Theres also a family that makes their 3-4 year old walk up and down the subway car alone, with an empty hat. Makes my blood boil!!!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:26 PM

32 posts, read 38,239 times
Default True: They are scamful Israeli Roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Might be gypsies.They are definitely still around.They are not homeless although they pretend to be.They seem to always have little kids with them as part of their ploy.They also usually have pretty thick Eastern European accents.
You failed to mention their right-to-the-second clothes and very good shoes. Always examine the shoes of alleged homeless you encounter begging you, especially on subways. If their shoes are as good as or better than yours, skip them; it's a scam. Real homelessness requires you to sleep in some pretty shady places, and when in those places, you wear shoes while asleep because you might have to get up and run quickly. All those places are dirty. The first thing to suffer when a homeless person sleeps there is their shoes. Fake homeless people don't know this.

I used to aid the homeless. I can spot it. And when I see those sparkling shoes, I don't give.

The free-loaders you speak of are all part of the same gang. They're related to each other, mostly wives of brothers and cousins, and this is a well known scam on the F train. You forgot to mention the accordion, and the hat extended for fools to put money into. Not all gangs are violent, and not all gangs are non-white. This is one of them. The goal is to tug on your heartstrings, make you feel sad for the baby, and scam the living daylights out of you. They moved to this trick after police started cracking down on their fake tarot reading parlors where they tell you you're under "a curse" and have to bring them $200 every Friday for them to "break it" for you.

Roma do this stuff, then want to get mad when people and in fact entire nations get SICK OF ROMA and call them scavengers and scam artists. Israel got sick of it and bounced them out. Europe despises them. And now here they are, pretending to be Russian or Israeli Jewish so they can get in. Then they get on social services, and the scams promptly begin. They see us as a nation of ripe pigeons ready for the plucking. They are not Jews. Many are white Muslims. Still want to fund them now?

A good suggestion to get rid of them is have NYPD crack down on them for child abuse and child endangerment. Watch them flee like cockroaches. No innocent baby deserves to be carried around from train to train learning from its parents how to become a criminal. They do this everywhere.

Find me one legally employed Roma anywhere in the world.

Just one. We're waiting.

Now make your blood REALLY boil by considering that by scamming you, these heartless human rats have just taken money you might have given a real homeless person. They go home and spend it on a better apartment than yours, and finer clothes, and newer shoes. Then they chatter about you in Tsigani. And then LAUGH.

Blood boiling for real now? Don't give 'em a cent.

Last edited by Queenslyn Person; 07-14-2012 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or