U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:57 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,040,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenslyn Person View Post
Many are white Muslims. Still want to fund them now?
Just curious, does being Muslim equate to something bad?

I ask because on your first day here at CD (today) I see you've already called a couple of people out for making racist remarks in other threads. In all honesty, as those two sentences are written, it could very easily be perceived as a negative towards Muslims.

Last edited by makossa; 07-14-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 04:02 PM

559 posts, read 928,525 times
I did notice that too. Are they gypsies?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,101,753 times
To Queenslyn Person: I am partially of Roma descent. All the folks in my very large extended family have always worked at some type of job, if not career. ALL, the Roma included. Sorry to disappoint, but they are all law-abiding folks as well. Most of us younger folks went on to college, some as adults while working in order to pursue career goals, esp. in the medical field. I think of the sacrifices they made, one female relative in particular. Saying what you did is like me stereotyping a racial group with certain negative behaviors.

Last edited by katnip kid; 07-16-2012 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-16-2012, 08:02 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 2,371,365 times
There is a lady in Grand Central stations by the 7 line sitting next to a garbage can with her baby panhandling.
As a father, it broke my heart that the baby was there with her in this miserable summer heat. Anyone who commutes via subways knows that the heat and the humidity can take a toll on a person in these underground subway stations but she was there with an infant!! I contemplated about calling chidren services but at the end decided against it. I thought it could be more damaging to separate the infant from the mother.

I don't know if she is using her infant as bait or if she is really that desperate. Whatever it is.... it worked and I gave her all the loose change I had. These sights are really unbearable to see.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 914 times
I know exactly what you are talking about. DON'T EVER GIVE MONEY TO THESE PEOPLE I SWEAR. They are all gang related, these babies aren't even their's. They are usually kidnapped children or "rented" from alcoholic/drugged families. If you have noticed most of the time these babies are always sleeping b/c they drugged with heroin or vodka. This isn't a joke. I always thought there was something fishy with them. It's contagious, so many of them are doing it. They are Eastern Europeans (mainly Romanians and Albanians) and many of them are gypsies I believe.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:51 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiG92 View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. DON'T EVER GIVE MONEY TO THESE PEOPLE I SWEAR. They are all gang related, these babies aren't even their's. They are usually kidnapped children or "rented" from alcoholic/drugged families. If you have noticed most of the time these babies are always sleeping b/c they drugged with heroin or vodka. This isn't a joke. I always thought there was something fishy with them. It's contagious, so many of them are doing it. They are Eastern Europeans (mainly Romanians and Albanians) and many of them are gypsies I believe.
Yes - I hypothesized this on another thread.
The living conditions of the children needs to be investigated.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,767,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I agree. Have you seen the little boy (around 10-12 yrs old) who plays classical piano? The father is there pimping him and selling CD's for $10. I found that to be very disturbing. I understand we do what we have to but at what point is it exploitation? Is dad keeping all this money? Does it go towards lessons or his education?
I never looked for an older person to be around him to be pimping him out. I guess I'll have to look better next time. He is amazing though. Any time I am at a subway station and hear him playing it makes for a better wait.

Some of that money has to go to lessons for sure. There is no way you can be that good without it. Unless he really is a prodigy and is just self taught.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 AM

154 posts, read 183,780 times
I seen them. There are two women always at the West 4th Station B/D uptown platform, they usually have small kids, very small kids. I have never seen a father/man with them, they are usually by themselves. The kids I seen go from a no more that 6 month old baby to a 5 year old. I pisses me the hell off how they are just hanging out there with the poor child, one of them usually sits on the floor with the baby.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,062,796 times
you can't knock the hustle.

people gotta eat and put clothes
on their backs somehow, but that
doesn't mean you have to give,
so what is the problem?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:50 AM

922 posts, read 1,863,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you can't knock the hustle.

people gotta eat and put clothes
on their backs somehow, but that
doesn't mean you have to give,
so what is the problem?
Not knocking them hustling, but kind of disturbing to see those who use babies to hustle. I saw a woman
begging for money on the R train last week. She was in her mid 20s and carrying what looks like a baby,
not sure if the baby is real because I can't see the face and no sound. She looks like a gypsie woman
wearing those hijab similar to the ones used by muslim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or