Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times

Advertisements

I saw a video where an exterminator was working night shifts. He made a comment about how they prefer working at night because they don't want people to think they're eating at rat-infested restaurants by day. Then he mentioned that wasn't really necessary in the East Village because rats are everywhere and everybody knows it. Do you all find the East Village to be particularly infested to a large degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroParkGuy View Post
It's because of the basta-d we have for a mayor.
Can't speak to the politics of the matter.All I know is any city wanting to be called "best in the world" doesn't have people living in rat-infested neighborhoods that are considered to be among the best in the city. Greenwich Village is generally conisdered to be a prime area relative to all of NYC. And yet, "everybody knows it's rat-infested"? WTF?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroParkGuy View Post
Heavy use of drugs must deaden the mind.
I get the impression I may need to use heavy doses of drugs to deal with walking down streets alongside rats

Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM

424 posts, read 974,120 times
Chinatown, the LES and East Village seem to have a rat problem out of most of the neighborhoods in Manhattan below 125th Street. They're even in Greenwich Village at night- I was a bit surprised when I saw rats scurrying around Washington Square Park while walking through around 10pm last fall.

Other than that I don't really see that many rats or roaches when I'm walking along the street at night. Have walked through Central Park numerous times after dark and never saw a rat. Thankfully, never saw anything in my place in Queens either... On the subway tracks they're running around, but I'm not bothered by that since the subway is their "natural environment"

Though, I'm wondering about a statement made to me by a landlord while apartment hunting in in Morningside Heights. When I asked if they had ever had a mouse, bedbug or roach problem he looked at me like I was crazy and said "every building in Manhattan has had something at sometime." Is that true?

If so I'm reconsidering relocating into Manhattan.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:24 PM

240 posts, read 621,847 times
NYC is rife with rats, many of which walk on two legs.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4760980379992092&id=cba2d6b84e866 01f5a61802eccb9d968 (broken link)

Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 PM

I booked a room in Alphabet City for my first few days in NYC in June. Thinking about trying to get out of that, solely because of rats/roaches. The place I'm set for is on the 5th floor where the guy renting tells me I have nothing to worry about with regards to any critters in the place.

What about hotels? Are hotels less likely to have issues then regular residences?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
I booked a room in Alphabet City for my first few days in NYC in June. Thinking about trying to get out of that, solely because of rats/roaches. The place I'm set for is on the 5th floor where the guy renting tells me I have nothing to worry about with regards to any critters in the place.

What about hotels? Are hotels less likely to have issues then regular residences?

It's seldom called Alphabet City by locals but rather LES. Hotels will probably be better in terms of roaches but worse in terms of bedbugs!
Take the place on the 5th floor and just roach-proof it!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM

I'm worried about walking down the farking street and having to dodge rats. Even if mice and roaches are not in this guy's place, walking down the street seems like a risky proposition if one doesn't want to see rats.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
I'm worried about walking down the farking street and having to dodge rats. Even if mice and roaches are not in this guy's place, walking down the street seems like a risky proposition if one doesn't want to see rats.

Believe you me, if you're observant enough you'll notice rats anywhere you go on the island from end to end.

The real problem however can start if they notice you...

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4701001176776819&id=4366d3b355cb0 888f584b0f768c4f271 (broken link)

Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing you can do except hope you do not live next to a filthy ppig who does nothing to control HIS infestation.
I was the first tenant in a new tower and all went well until a woman moved in who was sort of absentee and a lot of men seemed to be subletting. I got roaches...and I tried and tried to control them to mo avail.

She moved out and I gained entry to her apartment, not 2 years old and it was like a HORROR movie with bugs walking everywhere, even on the ceiling, even during the DAYTIME.

I did not trust the management (whom I had not yet gotten to know well) and I went and bought pounds of boric acid and 4 roach bombs which I set off in the dead of night. The boric acid was spread over all the floors and swept against the outer walls (under the baseboard.)

It worked.

And future tenants were clean and I was free of bugs except for the occasional new move-in and then only for about a week intil I got my fresh boric acid down again (in MY apartment.)

Like Harley, I am a firm believer in a caulking gun.

Knock wood, I have been in my NYC apartment for 18 months and have not seen any insect expet the occasional fly and have not needed a single extermination...but my boric acid is down and ready, just in case, even in the walls.
In this building people move out only feet first so that is a big plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City