U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:42 AM

18 posts, read 26,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Black folks have left the city. Not sure what that comment is all about.
I'm not sure myself, but it's not about blacks, oranges, or greens, I assure you of that. Piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,598,956 times
Crime has soared in the West Village in the past few years.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:48 AM

1,683 posts, read 1,331,367 times
Well it depends on your definition of decline. Also in comparison to when?

Developmentally the city is booming again, even through the downturn we had over the last few years.

Population wise, NYC has been booming since the 80s. Not as quickly as the 18/1900s though.

Demographics are different in many neighborhoods and that always changes.

Crime is down versus the highs, but still above the historic average in some sections of the city.

Economically the divide has only increased, ethnic/racial/religious segregation has declined to a low.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 AM

11,051 posts, read 10,322,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Crime has soared in the West Village in the past few years.

Now that you've mentioned it, I've also noticed a drastic change in the farthest reaches of the West Village over the last decade (or two.)
As the bulk of the gay population moved to Chelsea it seems the Village has truncated into the Uber-rich in waterfront glass towers and itinerant street hangers-on mobbing the Christopher Street area.
(Where do all those black drag queens and drug dealers live during the daytime?)

Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 PM

2,969 posts, read 3,559,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Richmond Hill and Jackson Heights though are so much better now than they used to be...
I don't remember Richmond Hill being bad years ago or not, but when I lived in Ozone Park it definitely was getting worse. I figured if OZP was going down then so was Richmond Hill. I definitely agree with LIC and Jackson Heights though, Jackson Heights is actually very attractive in certain parts now. A lot of my friends always think I'm crazy for pointing that out because they all think Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, and Corona are all the same.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 AM

561 posts, read 213,165 times
What happens, is that people grow up, and die. People leave a neighborhood. One less violent person moves in, and another one moves out. Like a druggie, moved out, but now there is a traumatized person who sounds like if they are dying. Which would you prefer?

Right now for the past five years, a lot of hostile mid-western people from the west part of the United States, have been taking our jobs, and they are so unhappy. It is like the most depressing thing in the world. People who you probably will never see, or notice. Alot of them line the streets in marches, and sports games. Basically tourists, but they stay. Some open up shop. Like a virus. Of course any place that had a tragedy, will also attract new people.

About non-heterosexuals. They are considered harmless, and unwanted, so moving in with them is okay. However when an indivisual have money, and they do not raise a family, it is like a kid with a credit card that has no spending limit. That is why the "uppity-yuppities" are also being targeted.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM

751 posts, read 522,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Richmond Hill/Jackson Heights areas used to be way worse in the 80s and 90s... South Ozone Park was never great to begin with either... Ozone Park and Woodhaven I agree with though...
Never. Jackson Heights has come a long way.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM

6,363 posts, read 3,672,337 times
please don't let nyc turn into one big hillbilly
cornhusker super-curved hat wearing city. that
would be so super wack, and we're not having
that. take that cornball nonsense somewhere
else.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 AM

751 posts, read 522,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I don't remember Richmond Hill being bad years ago or not, but when I lived in Ozone Park it definitely was getting worse. I figured if OZP was going down then so was Richmond Hill. I definitely agree with LIC and Jackson Heights though, Jackson Heights is actually very attractive in certain parts now. A lot of my friends always think I'm crazy for pointing that out because they all think Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, and Corona are all the same.
Yeah if I move back to Queens Im lookig at JH LIC or Astoria as destinations. As much as I love jamaica..nah..lol

Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 AM

6 posts, read 3,333 times
What do you mean by downhill? I have seen tons of neighborhoods go downhill, tribeca is one of them. It used to be a nice quiet neighborhood that was empty on the weekends, now look at it. A bunch of stuffy people with whining crying babies and tottlers. My father always made me laugh when he would say "want to know when to move out of a neighborhood? When the baby clothing and carriage stores start opening up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City