Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:43 AM

318 posts, read 1,098,226 times

Advertisements

That sucks. Fortunately I've never had that experience in Bedford Park. I don't think responding to that kind of stupidity would bring about anything positive. I'd reassess my reasons for being there and leave if the negatives out-weighed the positives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 04:58 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
I was under the impression that certain folding knives (not switchblades) below a certain length were legal. They sell them everywhere. I think mace is illegal but you can get pepper spray I think. At the very least, a whistle? Not to brandish, but just to have something so you feel a bit safer? A friend of mine carries a knife but has never used it. It just makes him feel safer to know it's there.

Yes, I know the knife sounds laughable, and I don't carry one for sure. But thought they were legal at least.

I haven't experienced this, but it may not only be the area but the particular block(s). Again, where are you?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
NO ONE, I mean NO ONE should be the subject of harrassment!!!!! I don't care who it is. Report that ish!!!!!! One has a choice....put up with it or take action! The choice should be the latter!

And for those saying move, let me tell y'all this. The OP chose that community for whatever reason! It's her community as well as everyone else's! She's not starting anything with anyone in that community, so she is a part of that neighborhood as anyone else!

This is a classic case of blaming the victim. Also, I'm tired of people talking about "realities". People are well familiar with the "realities" of certain communities. But does it make it right to let those "realities" remain, or should we do what we can to change them for the better?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 AM

Needless to say, Scatman, I agree. But how would you report it? To the police? 311?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I think he was responding to the guy who didn't report the stuff that happened to him in Florida.

You can't really do anything about people saying stupid stuff to you.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 AM

19 posts, read 82,690 times
Default Thanks for all the responses

I appreciate everyone's concern, and I hope I didn't come off as being naive- I'm well aware that this area isn't getting any better, and I'm planning on moving, but my lease isn't up yet. It's not like I heard the South Bronx was the place to go- as a matter of fact, I knew it was gonna be pretty trashy, but you live where you can afford to live.

On bad days, I talk back to the *******s, while moving quickly, though I know I shouldn't. I've been here nearly a year and haven't had anyone lay a finger on me yet, thankfully, even when carrying my laptop. So in that respect, the area has gotten better- I believe there's something like 120 homicides this year, as opposed to over a 700 in the late nineties by this time of year.

There is some small part of me, however, that hates the fact that I have to leave. I like my apartment, and my landlord is great. I wish I could do something to help, having seen some of the poverty in the area. But it's gonna take a lot more than a little white girl to help.

For those who asked- I'm just South of Yankee Stadium, in the Melrose section of the South Bronx, near what they call "The Hub" (a laughable moniker for what was probably once a nice shopping area, but is now mostly cellphone stores, pawn shops, and dirty restaurants).

Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
I'm just curious. What was your motivation for moving to the South Bronx? Are you originally from the NYC area? I've honestly never heard of a white person moving to the South Bronx beyond the handful of yuppies living around Port Morris.

About how much are you paying for rent? You do know that you can get decent basement apartments in nice areas of the Northwest and Eastern Bronx for around $900, right?

Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 AM

That's why the whole "what is the South Bronx" thread seemed a little absurd to me--the OP is IN the South Bronx--not Fordham, Bedford Park, etc areas that some seem to consider the South Bronx. Apparently, there IS a difference.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:59 AM

19 posts, read 82,690 times
Default Why I moved here

Wasn't really my choice, my boyfriend found the place. I was hoping for Astoria. But, the rent is $1,000/month for a brand-new apartment, it's a quick commute to Manhattan, my landlord is awesome, the place itself is nice. Just the neighbors...really, really not cool.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:11 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
That's some real bull**** right there. Self-defense is illegal in NYC, period.
Yup, that's NYC. I belive we have the most strict weapon laws in the country. Even worse then California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
Where's the pressure on the ghetto thugs to get their act together? Why isn't it coming from within their own communities? Natives of the neighborhood need to stand up and show leadership. If people were civil, it wouldn't matter what the color/ethnicity of the residents were.
This is simple racism and it goes beyond the ghetto thugs. These problems are on going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
I was under the impression that certain folding knives (not switchblades) below a certain length were legal. They sell them everywhere. I think mace is illegal but you can get pepper spray I think. At the very least, a whistle? Not to brandish, but just to have something so you feel a bit safer? A friend of mine carries a knife but has never used it. It just makes him feel safer to know it's there.

Yes, I know the knife sounds laughable, and I don't carry one for sure. But thought they were legal at least.

I haven't experienced this, but it may not only be the area but the particular block(s). Again, where are you?
Switchblades can be flicked open and therefore can be classified as graviity knives (technically they ain't but you can work the law).

Pepper spray/mace is an ineffective weapon. If you use it on someone, they can still come at you especially if they are armed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
NO ONE, I mean NO ONE should be the subject of harrassment!!!!! I don't care who it is. Report that ish!!!!!! One has a choice....put up with it or take action! The choice should be the latter!

And for those saying move, let me tell y'all this. The OP chose that community for whatever reason! It's her community as well as everyone else's! She's not starting anything with anyone in that community, so she is a part of that neighborhood as anyone else!

This is a classic case of blaming the victim. Also, I'm tired of people talking about "realities". People are well familiar with the "realities" of certain communities. But does it make it right to let those "realities" remain, or should we do what we can to change them for the better?
Report it to who? The police? Haha.

I say move the area is crap and she seems like a nice person. She deserves better. Hopefully she can find a decent one bedroom on the Upper East Side for like 1,500. You never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxchick View Post
I appreciate everyone's concern, and I hope I didn't come off as being naive- I'm well aware that this area isn't getting any better, and I'm planning on moving, but my lease isn't up yet. It's not like I heard the South Bronx was the place to go- as a matter of fact, I knew it was gonna be pretty trashy, but you live where you can afford to live.

On bad days, I talk back to the *******s, while moving quickly, though I know I shouldn't. I've been here nearly a year and haven't had anyone lay a finger on me yet, thankfully, even when carrying my laptop. So in that respect, the area has gotten better- I believe there's something like 120 homicides this year, as opposed to over a 700 in the late nineties by this time of year.

There is some small part of me, however, that hates the fact that I have to leave. I like my apartment, and my landlord is great. I wish I could do something to help, having seen some of the poverty in the area. But it's gonna take a lot more than a little white girl to help.

For those who asked- I'm just South of Yankee Stadium, in the Melrose section of the South Bronx, near what they call "The Hub" (a laughable moniker for what was probably once a nice shopping area, but is now mostly cellphone stores, pawn shops, and dirty restaurants).
Your not naive, naive would be dealing with the problem thinking these people are going to change. The South Bronx is an awful place. It's the ghetto. Whoever recommended you to move to... Melrose... was an *******.

"I believe there's something like 120 homicides this year, as opposed to over a 700 in the late nineties by this time of year."

Only in the Bronx would this be considered "okay".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxchick View Post
Wasn't really my choice, my boyfriend found the place. I was hoping for Astoria. But, the rent is $1,000/month for a brand-new apartment, it's a quick commute to Manhattan, my landlord is awesome, the place itself is nice. Just the neighbors...really, really not cool.
Astoria is a lot better for anyone. The people make the neighborhood. When the people are lowering your quality of life that is a hint to move.

And belive it or not you are paying a high rent for that neighborhood. Most people in the South Bronx pay between 150-500 dollars a month on rent. Lots of low income housing. They still barely afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City