Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times

Advertisements

i guess another question is what do you really want to do with your degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:34 PM

195 posts, read 304,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
i guess another question is what do you really want to do with your degree?
i want to become a buyer...

Old 05-07-2012, 05:04 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,072,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
........ he scoffed, and said everyone knows parsons' students never find work because they are too in the clouds.........
I personally only know 3 people who are high powered fashionistas,making really big bucks but all 3 of them went to Parson's, so I'm not sure the person quoted knows what they are talking about.Wish I had the income of my "in the clouds" Parson's grad friends.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,615 times
As others have said, Parsons is by FAR the better school but you pay big for it. Ultimately, regardless of where you decide to go, it's about connections and experience far more than what school you go to. Be ready for unpaid internships and take them without hesitation. You need direct exposure to the industry more than time in the classroom. Be ready to work long hours for VERY little pay when you start out. The unfortunate reality is that lots of young ladies in this city are bankrolled by wealthy parents so they can follow their "glamorous" fashion dreams. This means wages are kept abysmally low for entry level jobs (really, this applies to many creative fields, not just fashion).

Old 05-07-2012, 02:11 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,561 times
Quote:
i want to become a buyer...
Here's a tip. If you are coming from out of state, tuition for FIT is going to be expensive. That said, you can change your residency that will qualify you for in-state tuition.

It's been a long time since I looked into that but the information is readily available online so you can google for it. Last I recall it's going to take 6? 12? months to gain residency plus X time for NY state school to accept the residency to give you in-state tuition rate.

While fashion industry is a business. It's an industry just like video game development in terms of supply/demand for entry level jobs and supply of able works. What that means is that companies in fashion and video games can pay little, work you hard, stress you out, etc. because if you don't, there are plenty of others who will be.

As for becoming want to be a buyer. Pragmatic advice I can offer you is that start getting familiar with spreadsheet...you'll be using a lot of it.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,635 times
Quote:
parson's isn't all that great. they are too theoretical...in fact he more than hinted that many of the fashion majors from parsons end up at starbucks because they don't really know how to move in shake...
i'm not sure if your friend did any hands-on activities or not during college but no one should really expect to do nothing just because they are at a good college and will get a job straight out of college without any experience. It's very accurate when people say that "college is what you make of it". The fashion field is an extremely tough one and experience is extremely pivotal - why do you think people are always screaming for internships during the summer? I'm only in my second year of college and I'm making sure I stay on top with experience because no one is really going to hire you if you have no credentials or credibility.
My friend is a fairly well-known fashion blogger and goes to Parsons, still gains a lot of recognitions and has even appeared in magazines. Like i said, sometimes it isn't all about how reputable the school is - it's what you do.

OP - why don't you just go into marketing at a nearby college - buying has a lot to do with marketing and you can even travel around and sell.

Last edited by FOReverxpeace; 05-07-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 02:26 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,773 times
If you don't wanna be part of the giant pool of un-or-under-employed people in the creative fields go for a real career. One that actually requires knowledge and skills.
This country needs more scientists and people with knowledge in the hard sciences and not more liberal arts graduates.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,887 times
Whatever university you end up going too, you might want to consider NOT living in the dorms. Most often they are vastly overpriced and some schools kick you out over holidays. Many students find much cheaper housing in Brooklyn.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 PM

458 posts, read 616,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
not more liberal arts graduates.
Fashion is not one of the liberal arts.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times
Exactly...and think about working in the skilled trades.

This recession is teaching America to rethink about the value of college education. We don't need anymore Comparative Lit majors ending up working at Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City