U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,420,127 times

Advertisements

The main issue with the tunnel is the approach roadway as one of the tunnel lanes is reserved for buses only during rush hour. NJ is really not too bad of a commute as some parts of Queens and Brooklyn can take longer to reach Midtown.

Good luck with your job search, and congratulations on getting your visas. It can be daunting to move to a new city, much less a new country, but please post any questions you may have as the process continues, since someone is likely to be able to give an answer on the forum.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 PM

240 posts, read 517,151 times
I recommend you install yourself in Downtown Jersey City instead (or even Hoboken, it's nicer but a bit longer commute) and that you use the PATH which is very reliable to cross over into Manhattan. The service frequency is great, I used it regularly to get from Newport Pkwy to the WTC in about 12-15 minutes, including walk

Another back-up alternative to get into/out of NYC is always the ferry.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM

21,478 posts, read 28,363,365 times
Me too.
I think Downtown Jersey City is a good choice.

(Hi Harley, I was Xerxes on the JCList before I moved into Manhattan.)

Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM

240 posts, read 517,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Me too.
I think Downtown Jersey City is a good choice.

(Hi Harley, I was Xerxes on the JCList before I moved into Manhattan.)

Hey Kefir! Lol, I got kicked off the JCList board so many years ago I can't even remember what screen name I used to have there.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuyOC View Post
Hey Kefir! Lol, I got kicked off the JCList board so many years ago I can't even remember what screen name I used to have there.
I know it had Harley in the name. Perhaps it was just HARLEY?
(I got tossed when I blew my top at the webmaster. Then I moved out of JC so no loss. I peak in ever month or so and they are still hollering about the inevitable gas pipeline but at least the proponents of that stupid embankmant have shut up and they shut down Sonia's board because "rent has not been paid." ROFL)
It all seems so provincial now.

This board is much more interesting.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 10,110 times
Thank you very much guys for your advices!
The primary reason why I'm sceptic regarding NJ side is that Washington Bridge and Lincoln Tunnel may become bottleneck at any time. I wouldn't want to lose too much time in transit if possible (and considering rent constraint).
However, when I was in USA for the first time (september 2007) I was located in North Bergen (don't remember the street) and I cannot remember having problem going through the tunnel and reaching 42nd street even once. I used bus service that was 1$ per ride. Is the price still the same?

Old 05-11-2012, 04:50 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,376,922 times
The Commute into the city isn't as bad as some New Yorkers on this board claim , it depends on where you enter...if you live in Urban Jersey then its not an issue...

Old 05-16-2012, 02:08 AM

Just to post the update...
We have found a temporary solution - we will stay on Roosevelt Island for the first month and a half.
I'm a little bit relieved. It will be easier to look for an apartment directly, not on internet

Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 AM

Are you close to the tram...I love the ride.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 PM

We will be close to Roosevelt Island bridge. So, not that close to the tram.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City