Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,667 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'll be starting my residency training in Montefiore Medical Center in July. Just found out about qualifying for employer subsidized housing 1 block from the hospital (Wayne Ave). Should I go for it? Would be moving in with wife and 2 small kids. How safe/kids friendly is the area? Any nearby parks/playgrounds? Cost and distance to work are big benefits here, but I'm willing to commute/pay more to avoid unnecessary risks.
Appreciate any input
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 AM

110 posts, read 298,849 times
That area isn't bad. I lived about 15 minutes away by foot and still go over there often. It's always had a lot of families and is pretty safe since the hospital is there. Oval Park is very close, so you'll never have a problem with parks. It even has a gigantic track if you like to run. Mosholu Parkway is also nearby and there are tons of parks. The area is also pretty diverse thanks to the hospital residency and it being the Bronx, so your kid will learn a lot (and you might learn a few languages!).

I say go for it.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 AM

4,645 posts, read 4,503,121 times
If you're looking for something quieter, I knew a few residents living in monte's riverdale housing. There were a bunch of nice restaurants and cafes in the area and it definitely seemed more tranquil than the area immediately surrounding the hospital. Riverdale in general is a pretty nice neighborhood.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,244 times
I don't recommend it. You will hear siren all the time. In addition to that, if you are assigned to one of unfortunate unit that is either close to the parking garage or building facilities, it is nearly impossible to change the environment for your kids because the management will never allow it. I wouldn't take risks.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:37 AM

2,437 posts, read 2,715,914 times
I work for the med school and know many who live in the Moses campus housing, most with small children. The schools aren't that great and yes it can be loud, however, it's a relatively safe area and all enjoy the basically free housing to pay down those loans.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:19 AM

9,238 posts, read 23,970,047 times
I took a walk through and spent some time in Norwood on Sunday. I think the whole neighborhood has a noticeably better look and feel these days than 6 years ago when I was looking for a place to live and it wasn't bad then. It felt very benign. I could live there with no problem.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:41 AM

624 posts, read 977,015 times
I've lived in the neighborhood for over a year now and am very happy here. My family lives out of state but thats for other reasons. I would live here with my son, assuming I could get him into a good charter or private elementary school. The public schools don't have good ratings.

The neighborhood is safe and has a lot of parks and playgrounds. I don't know where you're coming from but it may be a bit of a culture shock if your origins are white suburban America. The neighborhood is mostly Latino with a small Albanian population and a growing Bangladesh population. Its NYC so the neighborhood is somewhat dirty. Actually that's probably my biggest gripe is that people litter too much. Imagine how beautiful the Mosholu green would be if people would stop throwing trash around.

I can't comment on your exact location. I live near Mosholu parkway and its quiet at night.

Overall I think this neighborhood has huge potential and will only get better every year.

At worst you can try the housing for a year and then see how it goes.

Nothing anyone says on this forum is substitute for seeing the neighborhood yourself firsthand. Consider leaving your family behind for the first month or a few weeks and doing temporary rentals via airbnb here and other places to get a better idea of where to settle before you sign a lease and move all of your stuff. Have your wife come and visit to make sure she's onboard. I would recommend this approach to anyone moving to NYC for the first time. Its what I did and when I signed my first NYC lease I knew exactly where I wanted to be was able to find the perfect apartment for a reasonable price.

Finally, there is a lot of info about this area already on the forum that you can search. I made a lot of threads and asked a lot of questions when I was choosing this area compared to others. Search for Norwood, Bedford Park, and Mosholu.

Last edited by fmatthew5876; 10-21-2015 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City