Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 AM

49 posts, read 79,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
the lawyers charge a flat rate regardless of what is done. your lawyer, sponsors lawyer, bank lawyer, you pay them all...
I know that, but now they are trying to charge me for the SONYMA and fax,mail etc.. On top of the original fee.
Can they do that. I mean when I called they told me it was 1500 now it's 2110.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 AM

184 posts, read 334,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lqqk View Post
I know that, but now they are trying to charge me for the SONYMA and fax,mail etc.. On top of the original fee.
Can they do that. I mean when I called they told me it was 1500 now it's 2110.
check your retainer agreement and see if that is what you agreed to....they can charge for above & beyond expenses but they also sound shady. Is this an attorney from the list from La Celia? Ask for a detailed expense list...

Old 04-14-2013, 09:08 AM

13 posts, read 20,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayGal View Post
Just know this is a LONG term investment. You will not make that Fullest potential on the investment until all restrictions are lifted in 30 years. You can sell it for a profit with only income restrictions after 15 years. This project is meant for affordable housing not really to make money. Think of it in terms of a retirement account vs a savings account. If you foresee living there for 15-30 years this is a great investment. If you foresee living there 5 years...not so much.
You are right. Thanks! The difference is that we have to put 30 years of our life's in to this retirement fund. Not 10% of your life not 6% of your income. The whole life... 30 years has to be spent there. I am ok with putting money aside for retirement but putting a life aside for retirement....

marshland

Thanks for your input. I have been to the building a couple of times and you are right parking is available but that will not be the case in a couple of years or even as people move in. The building I live in now in Brooklyn, 10 years ago parking was plentiful but now it completely turned around and very hard to find. As area goes up parking availability goes down :-(

Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 AM

47 posts, read 84,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHesitantOne View Post
You are right. Thanks! The difference is that we have to put 30 years of our life's in to this retirement fund. Not 10% of your life not 6% of your income. The whole life... 30 years has to be spent there. I am ok with putting money aside for retirement but putting a life aside for retirement....

marshland

Thanks for your input. I have been to the building a couple of times and you are right parking is available but that will not be the case in a couple of years or even as people move in. The building I live in now in Brooklyn, 10 years ago parking was plentiful but now it completely turned around and very hard to find. As area goes up parking availability goes down :-(
Just remember, you have to live SOMEWHERE if you continue to live in the city. 15 years is not really a long time. Is your unit one that can be sublet? That can be seen as a built in cushion in case you have an emergency. You will still make a decent return on your investment after 15 years. A dependable investment would be a 6% return, there is a great chance you will get more than that in 15 years. Remember the free subsidy that you don't have to pay back after 15 years? Also, market value for a 2 bedroom in the area is already creeping up to 600k NOW, check up on Zillow and Street Easy. In 15 years this will be a different East Harlem. It is the last area near Cental Park that is available for developers. If you read the NYTimes Real Estate Section, you will know money is being pumped into developing this area. Looks like you need to do a lot more research to make your decision. It may not be right for you and your family. There are 2,000 people still on the list hoping you will pass on it!

If parking is the deal breaker, there are parking garages VERY close to the building. For very inexpensive. Just get on the waiting list as soon as we create one, perhaps you will acquire one sooner than you think.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
check your retainer agreement and see if that is what you agreed to....they can charge for above & beyond expenses but they also sound shady. Is this an attorney from the list from La Celia? Ask for a detailed expense list...
Yes he is from the list. John Cheng

Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM

Woooooooooooooot finally over after 8 months of waiting.
Feels so good to have the keys

Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 AM

12 posts, read 17,674 times
Did you get letter 30 days before closing ?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 AM

131 posts, read 338,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lqqk View Post
Woooooooooooooot finally over after 8 months of waiting.
Feels so good to have the keys
congrats, congrats,

Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 AM

131 posts, read 338,096 times
Default Misc, hopefully helpful information

Home depot sells Temporary Shades that you can up to the windows until you are ready to install your permanant curtains. A co-worker told me about them. They stick to the top of the window frame, you can cut them to any size, they come in a variety of colors, and they don't look bad either.

They are called Redi Shade,

Old 04-15-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elev one View Post
Did you get letter 30 days before closing ?
Yes we got it last month on the 8th. But you can push it up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery