Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM

8 posts, read 12,525 times

Advertisements

I am loving that we all have the same concerns for our shared space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM

338 posts, read 677,182 times
If the super is aware of the problem, that is good. Maybe he can modify the ledge to be un-sittable. I have to say, I *do* mind the occasional smoker because smoke goes up and enters through open windows. If I end up breathing someone else's smoke from the sidewalk I'm gonna go all old country on them and dump some water out the window. They can cross the street to the open park if they need a cigarette that badly.

Some liquor stores offer a decent selection of wine and are not hoody--PJ's up in Inwood is very nice.

Once we all move in, a building full of middle-class homeowners, we have a huge, outsize effect on the neighborhood and can attract a better class of restaurants and business. That area is very underserved as far as nice restaurants are concerned--the only one I saw nearby was that Otto's place. I'd love to see a nice bar when you can get a decent cocktail open up.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 PM

139 posts, read 189,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
If the super is aware of the problem, that is good. Maybe he can modify the ledge to be un-sittable. I have to say, I *do* mind the occasional smoker because smoke goes up and enters through open windows. If I end up breathing someone else's smoke from the sidewalk I'm gonna go all old country on them and dump some water out the window. They can cross the street to the open park if they need a cigarette that badly.

Some liquor stores offer a decent selection of wine and are not hoody--PJ's up in Inwood is very nice.

Once we all move in, a building full of middle-class homeowners, we have a huge, outsize effect on the neighborhood and can attract a better class of restaurants and business. That area is very underserved as far as nice restaurants are concerned--the only one I saw nearby was that Otto's place. I'd love to see a nice bar when you can get a decent cocktail open up.
I agree...I do mind the smokers because we leave our windows open all the time (I don't mind the train noise as much as the smoke!!)

As having an outsized effect - for sure not, the neighbourhood is dominated by 5-8 buildings to the south and north that are 20-30 fl by 20 apt on a floor that are designated as low income housing by the city...the math does not compute ....Case in point: the grocery store Fresh Market on the corner or MAd and 110th St opened a year ago to great fanfare with lots of organic veggie and meat selection and some higher end items...now the selection is what you would find in a typical bodega...there were no customers for those goods they were offering so their inventory changed.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 PM

36 posts, read 56,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lqqk View Post
It will be cheaper if you do it your self, it cost me $75 for the 10 feet truck. Moved everything with friends. Took about an hour or so. We used u-haul

So we can rent a u-haul and do it ourselves? I was under the impression that we HAD to hire a license company. This is good news...

Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC10029 View Post
Congratulations to everyone!!

It's been a long haul but we've slowly made it. Closed last week and will be moving in within the next 2 weeks. Hey, what moving companies are you guys using? I don't have much to move since i'm coming from a tiny apartment, but have a sofa bed and couple of boxes.

Does anyone have interior decorator contacts? I'm so overwhelmed with paint choices, and furniture placement and don't have any idea what i'm going to do with the windows but want something fabulous.

Any luck finding an interior decorator????

Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 PM

184 posts, read 334,178 times
I don't recall but are there any cameras at that corner of the building? That might be the best we can hope for (near parking garage). Might be something we as home owner might consider having installed if we find the liquor store is attracting people who "hang out"
They'd be more likely to hang out at the bodega if that has extended hours. Perhaps someone should see if the " owners contact" info is on the work permits that should be posted outside the liquor store just in case we need to address their business habits in the future.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,399 times
I am just moving in, can anyone recommend the most affordable internet service in our building?

Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Anyone knows of any first time homebuyers forgivable loans or grants besides NHS?

Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 PM

184 posts, read 334,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3 View Post
Anyone knows of any first time homebuyers forgivable loans or grants besides NHS?
If you are going with a chase sonyma you can go with the DPAL down payment assistance loan. You up your interest rate from 3% to 3.375 % could be higher of you didn't lock in earlier. Ov you aren't going with a sonyma speak to your loan officer about options. Many banks offer something to help first time home buyers. The sonyma dpal is a faster process than NHS. I personally abandoned NHS because of the extremely slow process - 3 months and nothing from them. Good luck

Old 06-08-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
If you are going with a chase sonyma you can go with the DPAL down payment assistance loan. You up your interest rate from 3% to 3.375 % could be higher of you didn't lock in earlier. Ov you aren't going with a sonyma speak to your loan officer about options. Many banks offer something to help first time home buyers. The sonyma dpal is a faster process than NHS. I personally abandoned NHS because of the extremely slow process - 3 months and nothing from them. Good luck
Thanks marshland!

Citibank is offering $5000 closing cost assistance or the option to buy points to lower interest rate.
I am not too happy with NHS either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery