U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2007, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,060 posts, read 11,444,247 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
What are some of the main streets in Soundview.....I think ill look that up on googlemaps out of curiousity.....i enjoy looking at different areas of the country whether good or bad.....Google maps has a feature on there that you can look at every street they have colred in blue and you can move the camera around on every street in that area.....well thanks for the replies
Since im not from Soundview I don't really know exact intersections. But if you are looking at the area, the Soundiew Projects are among the worst in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2007, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Mott Haven
2,978 posts, read 854,844 times
Reputation: 209
Agreed SuperMario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2007, 07:04 PM
 
8 posts, read 17,671 times
Reputation: 11
So I take it it's not a nice place to live (The Bronx)? Now I aint a yuppie or anything like that and hardly come from money, I am just a regular blue collar guy who wants an affordable neighborhood.. would you say it's a bad idea to walk West of Fordham at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2007, 07:08 PM
 
Location: New York City
563 posts, read 1,175,260 times
Reputation: 162
Northwest of Fordham (Northern Kingsbridge Heights and Riverdale) are extremely low crime, great neighborhoods. Southwest, things only get worse. Directly West, things aren't atrocious but stuff does happen.

The Bronx is a fine place to live if you wish to live in the East Bronx or the Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2007, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,060 posts, read 11,444,247 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmikeyfx View Post
So I take it it's not a nice place to live (The Bronx)? Now I aint a yuppie or anything like that and hardly come from money, I am just a regular blue collar guy who wants an affordable neighborhood.. would you say it's a bad idea to walk West of Fordham at night?
Yes. A really bad idea. Fordham rd atrracts a lot of pick pocketers. Not to mention the side streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2007, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,060 posts, read 11,444,247 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmikeyfx View Post
So I take it it's not a nice place to live (The Bronx)? Now I aint a yuppie or anything like that and hardly come from money, I am just a regular blue collar guy who wants an affordable neighborhood.. would you say it's a bad idea to walk West of Fordham at night?
Yes. A really bad idea. Fordham rd atrracts a lot of pick pocketers. Also not to mention the dangerous side streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 AM
 
1,536 posts, read 141,109 times
Reputation: -80
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmikeyfx View Post
So I take it it's not a nice place to live (The Bronx)? Now I aint a yuppie or anything like that and hardly come from money, I am just a regular blue collar guy who wants an affordable neighborhood.. would you say it's a bad idea to walk West of Fordham at night?
The Fordham area is bad. That is the truth. However if your shopping most people won't try anything stupid unless your "flagging" or something. I wouldn't chat on the phone or flash the iPod though. The biggest problem is aggressive people. Bumping and bums begging being anoying.

The streets, you just want to avoid them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Mott Haven
2,978 posts, read 854,844 times
Reputation: 209
If you have ever walked down Fordham Rd...everyone and their mother is talking on the phone and flashing an Ipod, gaudy jewelry, $200 sneakers, and the latest Sean John jeans.....so Hustla...I think he'll be alright on or off Fordham.

I prefer not shopping at Fordham, not because of the threat of crime (which there is no threat), or due to bums (they are everywhere, not just Fordham), but because of the sheer congestion of cars and people, as well as the lack of retail that I usually patronize. However, it is perfectly safe to walk and shop on Fordham, if you can deal with the crowds that is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,060 posts, read 11,444,247 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I prefer not shopping at Fordham, not because of the threat of crime (which there is no threat), or due to bums (they are everywhere, not just Fordham),
This is probably one of the most absurd comments anybody has ever made. Guywithacause, I respect you and all but that's totally wrong. No threat of crime? So you mean silch, nada? I live by Fordham, and it's considered one of the hot spots for crime because of the amount of people it attracts. This year in the Bronx, the Fordham rd area has 1,242 crimes per 100,000 people. That's only behind Hunts Point, Melrose/Morrisania, Mott Haven and
E.Tremont in the south Bronx. You haven't been to Fordham much I see. Whether it's at night with all the gangs meeting up at Devoe Park or the drug dealers at every corner....or if it's on one of the side streets Fordham rd IMO is one of the most dangerous areas in the city.

No offense, but you are way to optimistic...stop lying to these people.

NorwoodNews.org ::: Police Report: Grand Avenue Burglary Pattern (http://www.norwoodnews.org/story/?id=211&story=police+report:+grand+avenue+burglary +pattern - broken link)

No crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Mott Haven
2,978 posts, read 854,844 times
Reputation: 209
No SuperMario..clearly there IS crime EVERYWHERE..when I say "there is no crime" I am referring to the non-stop, overwhelming, something is gonna happen real bad in a minute feeling.....if you shop on Fordham Rd..that is not the feeling you get. Clearly there is crime..of course...I am a reasonable person, but my point was to say that I do not shop on Fordham, not because I am afraid of crime, because if you shop there, you do not walk around wondering when someone is gonna shoot you for your addidas in front of VIM....I don't shop there because it is too crowded and I don't like the stores.

I will gladly walk around with a cell phone and IPOD..and I have...and most everyone around me does....so I am painting a picture that realistically...if you shop on Fordham Rd, you will likely not ever be a victim of a crime...is that fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top