U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,179,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is a very strange statistic.Don't know what to make of it.What group left E NY in such a large number for the % of blacks to increase so dramatically ? I honestly didn't think there were more than a few white people there in the first place.Is it the Hispanic population that went down a lot ? If yes,that's as big a story as % of black increase.
The Hispanic population is stable or slightly dropping in most of ENY. But the main part of the change in ENY has been a boom in construction of low-income housing on former empty lots.

You are correct that the white population in ENY is no more than 1-2% in most census tracts and has been for a couple of decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 11:44 PM

3,061 posts, read 3,737,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
The Hispanic population is stable or slightly dropping in most of ENY. But the main part of the change in ENY has been a boom in construction of low-income housing on former empty lots.

You are correct that the white population in ENY is no more than 1-2% in most census tracts and has been for a couple of decades.
Starlett City is about 20-25% Non hispanic white. That actually surprised me, I though it was all black.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:26 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,179,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Starlett City is about 20-25% Non hispanic white. That actually surprised me, I though it was all black.
True. It's also only just barely in ENY, if at all. It was mostly white back in the early 90s, just like Canarsie.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:42 AM

6,605 posts, read 11,431,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
True. It's also only just barely in ENY, if at all. It was mostly white back in the early 90s, just like Canarsie.
Sounds like Starret City and Co Op City,maybe the two biggest housing developments in the city,share a similar history.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:42 AM

2,754 posts, read 3,372,338 times
Quote:

My man Starrett City back in the day was close to 50% white and then hispanics were the second largest demographic... And i'm talking about 90s starrett city not even 70s and 80s version... The Black population has shot up in that area in recent years... Thati is probably another factor driving the black population increase... Overall ENY in 2000 which includes Cypress Hills and Starrett City was about 7% white 55% Black 32% Hispanic 6% asian... The majority of that white population was concentrated mainly in Starrett City and then the rest was spread around Cypress Hills...

What's driving the change now has to do with the fact that ENY wasn't really a dense area back then (there were a ton of empty lots)... Nowadays, all those lots are becoming either 3 family low-income housing or connected apartments that kinda look like 1-2 floor projects... And the majority of the people moving into these new buildings are black with some hispanics as well... In addition, while the white population in Starrett City is rapidly decreasing there are parts of Cypress Hills that have seen a slight increase in the white population due to its proximity to the J line... The overwhelming majority of the white folk that have moved into parts of Cypress Hills are simply working middle class folk who couldn't afford to rent or buy in other areas because of the dramatic increase in COL in this city but there are a select few (probably the same amount as Ocean Hill ) that look like hipsters... you can probably count them on your two hands and feet...

Haven't had a chance to take an in depth look at the 2010 demographics of East NY but going on the eye test i'd probably say it's somewhere around 67% Black 27% Hispanic 4% white 2% asian...

While I still think the hispanic population has increased slightly in East NY... the Black population increase has been that much more causing the spike in percentages

Old 05-13-2012, 12:22 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,302,145 times
I can imagine it's the same case with the South BX except it's reversed with the Hispanic population surging and the black population increasing at a milder rate.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:52 PM

3,061 posts, read 3,737,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I can imagine it's the same case with the South BX except it's reversed with the Hispanic population surging and the black population increasing at a milder rate.
Blacks are decreasing in the South Bronx, but growing in the north.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 PM

8,483 posts, read 7,716,932 times
Quote:
True, back in the day a lot of people spoke English except old time puerto ricans. Walk the streets of mott haven and you mostly hear Spanish being spoken from Dominicans and Mexicans who both moved out from upper Manhattan to the south Bronx.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:01 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,302,145 times
Quote:
Blacks are decreasing in the South Bronx, but growing in the north.
Really? Cause I look at a good number of tracts on the Census map and in places like Morrisania and Melrose, I see percentage increases. I'm assuming these are places where new homes were built on vacant lots like ENY, so it would make sense if there's an increase.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 PM

8,483 posts, read 7,716,932 times
Quote:
Really? Cause I look at a good number of tracts on the Census map and in places like Morrisania and Melrose, I see percentage increases. I'm assuming these are places where new homes were built on vacant lots like ENY, so it would make sense if there's an increase.
I have met many blacks who moved to the south Bronx from other parts of the city most notably harlem and brooklyn while current south bronx blacks moved on to other areas. I don't think the Bronx black population did not drop compared to Brooklyn and Manhattan from what I remember from the 2010 census data. In my area I see a huge increase in Mexicans and Dominicans, blacks mostly center around the projects and sprinkles of white transplants. Puerto rican population is on the decline in my area many of my friends moved to east Bronx or out of the county all together. Neigborhoods change for better or for worse, the only person that needs to worry about changing neigborhoods is your local Congressman and real estate brokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City