U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,891 times
Default Apartment parking garages

Hello,

I will be moving to NYC within the next few months. Currently I am doing my research into apartment buildings on the Upper East Side. I see that some of the building have a garage listed as an amenity.

I was wondering if the use of the garage is typically included into the rent, or is it at an extra fee? If so, what is the average cost of using the garage? Also, do tenants receive a parking space, or is it first come, first serve?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:28 PM

9,266 posts, read 14,956,272 times
Garages are an extra cost item, not included in the rent, and the price can vary within a neighborhood. Some can be $350, whereas others are closer to $1k, depending upon the type of car, as a regular vehicle will have a lower rate than luxury, suv, or van, if the garage can even handle the car. Check with the garage management regarding availability prior to leasing an apartment, as some have a waiting list for an in-building garage, as buildings are not generally built with an available space per unit.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM

242 posts, read 554,893 times
I've never heard of it being included without an additional fee. I would say there is a chance that the rates are discounted as compared to the rates that non-residents pay. But not even positive on that. Price depends on where on the UES. I would say the absolute cheapest would be somewhere in the $250/month range, but its more likely to be ~$300 and up. Some more desirable areas of the UES are going to significantly higher. But again, it depends. I work in a hospital in Yorkville and the garage prices in the 10 or so blocks surrounding the hospital are significantly higher because of all the patients and workers that park there. Plus don't forget that there will be higher charges if your vehicle is larger.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 PM

518 posts, read 751,828 times
In our co-op its not included in the maintenance. Its a good deal as there is NO street parking in the area. I dont drive, but when I do I know I have a spot waiting for me!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 AM

10,929 posts, read 9,750,968 times
A neighbor got parking in my building at a great price...he was thrilled and said he had been on the waiting list for 20 years.

I thought of putting my nane on the list just in case I decide I want to drive...but I doubt I'll LIVE for 20 years, and if I do I'd be a menace on the road.

The cost is extra to the Maintenance fee, just like Vic's place.

BUT it is rather grand being able to park in a safe reserved spot and ride the elevator up to the apartment.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A neighbor got parking in my building at a great price...he was thrilled and said he had been on the waiting list for 20 years.

I thought of putting my nane on the list just in case I decide I want to drive...but I doubt I'll LIVE for 20 years, and if I do I'd be a menace on the road.

The cost is extra to the Maintenance fee, just like Vic's place.

BUT it is rather grand being able to park in a safe reserved spot and ride the elevator up to the apartment.
Its pretty rad KK - $180/month and you NEVER have to worry about getting a spot!

Old 05-14-2012, 05:14 PM

10,929 posts, read 9,750,968 times
$125 in mine Vic...with a RESERVED spot and no valet crap. Thus the L O N G wait.

That does it: I'm gonna get on the list and if I get a spot I'll buy a car and terrorize the City (actually I'm a very good driver.)

"Yah gotta be in it to win it."

(In Jersey it was $220 and I had to walk 2 blocks ...got old fast!)

Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 PM

3,686 posts, read 4,198,875 times
$1,000 to rent a spot for your car. One of the many reasons to not live in NYC.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
$125 in mine Vic...with a RESERVED spot and no valet crap. Thus the L O N G wait.

That does it: I'm gonna get on the list and if I get a spot I'll buy a car and terrorize the City (actually I'm a very good driver.)

"Yah gotta be in it to win it."

(In Jersey it was $220 and I had to walk 2 blocks ...got old fast!)

wow KK - Id be jealous if I drove - Our garage is right next door, no valets but you get a reserved spot & its clean and well lit - and if you saw the way people fight to get a spot on my block I dont understand how there are vacancies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City