Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
My sister and I both went to schools with very few white people and received high quality public school education. In fact I wasn't around white people my same age until college. I don't think thats the complete issue. Sure it plays a part but there are a lot of factors.

I went to a high quality high school in the Caribbean. Many of the grads are doing quite well in the USA. More than a few excelling at schools like Princeton and MIT.

Most of the kids focused on sciences and maths. 40% were black, 50% Caribbean Indians (who do almost as badly as do other minorities in NYC....look at teh schools in Riochmond Hill and So Ozone). The few whites (including North Am whites) who were there we demolished academically. It certainly never dawned on us that being bkack meant we were dumb.

Somethings happens in the USA to people of color and its about time people be honest about it. Its to do with people internalizing external stereotypes and letting this lower their expectations of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:24 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I've fallen off the idea that the schools are at fault for this. This is primarily a parenting problem and not much else. Until someone has the cajones to speak up and do something about it, I wouldn''t expect much change. Throwing money at the problem can only do so much and the city can only subsidize people's lives but so much.

The school being referenced is in Flatbush so its likely that the kids are mainly from Caribbean schools. So why do Caribbean kids acheive in the Caribbean and not in the USA? Note that 25% of the adults in Barbados have tertiary level training....not terribly below the USA and most assuredly higher than what we see among AAs.

Note that its the same parents. The difference is in Bdos there isnt an external message that equates being black with being an academic problem. Nor does being black provide an excuse to limit one's expectations.

Now what might surprise folks here is that in the Caribbean the local whites arent regarded as being intellectual giants...indeed are stereotyped as being academic under acheivers who know that their rich daddy wiull hook them up so see no need to work hard in school. The interesting thing is the stereotype works in the opposite direction there.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was very surprised about the overall demographics of the students throughout the whole school system, and that whites only make up 15% of the whole system, and Asians even less.

From the article: While the city’s public-school population looks diverse — 40.3 percent Hispanic, 32 percent black, 14.9 percent white and 13.7 percent Asian — many of its schools are nothing of the sort.
Major point, how many mon-Hispanic White children even live in Flatbush?

People having kids that shouldn't. Mostly socioeconomic and bad parenting, forget race.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:58 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
My sister raised her kids in an area where her kids would be able to attend public school with a very diverse population. It was very important to her. There were kids from all races and economic backgrounds. But when it came to HS and her children started taking AP classes the students were all white and asian.

It's difficult to know that all children really won't get the same opportunities. Education is very important to my sister and BIL but they also had the time to spend with their children outside of school. They were able to provide a houseful of books and opportunities. Children not excelling isn't always because parents are busy getting high or not caring (although I believe that is a HUGE problem). Sometimes its because they're working 3 jobs and don't have the time and resources. It's very sad and I don't know what the solution is. My sister wasn't looking to segregate her children but it happened anyway.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Major point, how many mon-Hispanic White children even live in Flatbush?

People having kids that shouldn't. Mostly socioeconomic and bad parenting, forget race.
I agree race is not the problem, its bad parenting its part of the problem but also schools provide lack of sources for kids to excel and improve individual motivation for students of color such as role model figures. No positive role models kids will look up to a pair of Air Jordans or a portrait of Lebron James for motivation. With this new ecoonomic crisis we have been in the past four years white people across America and even in this city are feeling the pinch of what Hispanics, Blacks and Native Americans go through such as being single mothers, massive debt issues and poor credit scores galore etc. NYKIDDO you should tell poor parents to go to Plan Parenthood and not resort to your baptist pastor who was once friends with Martin Luther King Jr or the Catholic Priest who seen the spirit of Pope John Paul the 2nd for parenting advice or even worse tell them to stop resorting to a bottle of Hennessy or Purple Hazes and Sours.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:41 PM

When I went to High School it was 1/3 Jamaican 1/3 African American/ about a 1/4 Hispanic mostly Puerto Rican and everthing else was a mish mash of Asian, White and other mixed folks. Race was not a problem it was all ethnic rivalism that was the problem. AA and Jamaicans never liked each other from what I remember. Sad part was many of the AA and Jamaicans came from middle class famlies and acted just as ghetto as lower income youths. Where was the parents? Working two jobs to pay for the mortgage or slaving at a hospital as a nurse. After high school you entered the white mans world of either finding work, going to college or joining the military.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The HS was divided racially, so when people sat at lunch it was generally by color....blacks and hispanics on one side, whites on the other...with a few exceptions. It was a very odd thing to see. I was visibly "white", and nonghetto, so I spent most of my time with the whites and fit right in....but found it very odd that others could not interact as well as I did.
I'm just throwing it out there, but my school is pretty diverse, and there really aren't any racial tensions. It's something like 36% Hispanic, 30% Black, 27% White, and 7% Asian, and you do see plenty of kids of different races hanging out together. Of course, people do have a tendancy to hang out with people of their own race more, but I'd definitely say it's far from segregated. Of course, there are always some people who have it out against another race for one reason or another. I remember once a kid asked pretty aggressively if I was White, as if he were looking to pick a fight with a White kid. I just told him I was Hispanic (which I am) and he left me alone. But overall, those types of kids are the minority.

In middle school, it was a little less diverse (50% White, 20% Black, 20% Hispanic, 10% Asian), but even then the students got along well. I think the Blacks tended to actually have more friends, because you had people who wanted to hang out with "the cool Black kids". Unfortunately, a lot of them did act kind of ghetto (that's how they kept up their "cool" image). Of course, there were some high-achieving Black kids and there were plenty of low-achieving White kids who were into acting "cool" and everything.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Breakdown of the family(and discipline) and the Jews are no longer running the school system.Those are the 2 biggest problems.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-15-2012 at 06:45 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I'm just throwing it out there, but my school is pretty diverse, and there really aren't any racial tensions. It's something like 36% Hispanic, 30% Black, 27% White, and 7% Asian, and you do see plenty of kids of different races hanging out together. Of course, people do have a tendancy to hang out with people of their own race more, but I'd definitely say it's far from segregated. Of course, there are always some people who have it out against another race for one reason or another. I remember once a kid asked pretty aggressively if I was White, as if he were looking to pick a fight with a White kid. I just told him I was Hispanic (which I am) and he left me alone. But overall, those types of kids are the minority.

In middle school, it was a little less diverse (50% White, 20% Black, 20% Hispanic, 10% Asian), but even then the students got along well. I think the Blacks tended to actually have more friends, because you had people who wanted to hang out with "the cool Black kids". Unfortunately, a lot of them did act kind of ghetto (that's how they kept up their "cool" image). Of course, there were some high-achieving Black kids and there were plenty of low-achieving White kids who were into acting "cool" and everything.
I remember when attending summer school at Lehman High School the school was around 1/4 Rican 1/3 Italian and 1/4 African American and everything else was a mix mash of Guyanese, Dominicans and others. The Puerto Ricans were cool with every body. In the lunchroom Italians sat on one end and the African Americans sat on the other. Also the Indo Guyanese stick with themselves too. The only way for races and ethnic groups to get along with others is through sportsman ship.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Breakdown of the family(and discipline) and the Jews are no longer running the school system.Those are the 2 biggest problems.

School Board needs another Albert Shanknar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City