U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2012, 07:59 AM
 
5,846 posts, read 2,510,560 times
Reputation: 4568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was very surprised about the overall demographics of the students throughout the whole school system, and that whites only make up 15% of the whole system, and Asians even less.

From the article: While the city’s public-school population looks diverse — 40.3 percent Hispanic, 32 percent black, 14.9 percent white and 13.7 percent Asian — many of its schools are nothing of the sort.
Once again I have to ask- why is diversity so much more important than the quality of education? Who cares if schools don't have the "right mix" of white, black, asian, hispanic kids? Who cares if a school is 90% black and 10% other? Why don't teachers focus on teaching the kids sitting right in front of them instead of fretting about why there's no white kids in their class?

By focusing so much on race I don't see how racism will ever be eradicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 AM
 
5,846 posts, read 2,510,560 times
Reputation: 4568
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It's like blaming a black man for "not having a job", and that's why he and his family are poor, and his kids are selling drugs, and the schools in his community are all bad because they are filled with these same people. These are all SYMPTOMS. The actual PROBLEM would be that nobody will hire the black man because he is black.
Sorry, but in a country that dared to hire a lowly black man as their President, this statement isn't even close to being true. It's not 1963 anymore, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Somethings happens in the USA to people of color and its about time people be honest about it. Its to do with people internalizing external stereotypes and letting this lower their expectations of life.
I think this is a valid point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 AM
 
8,752 posts, read 8,611,515 times
Reputation: 4168
I was just giving an example of a problem vs a symptom of the problem. I was not saying the explicit and violent racism of the past is the same as 1963. That being said, they did not hire a lowly black man as their President, they hired a biracial man as their president. He is half white remember.

If President Obama looked like Derek Jeter who is also biracial, would you be saying we have a black man as president?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: USA
5,909 posts, read 3,157,208 times
Reputation: 1935
^ yes, because you can see he is also black.


anyway tho, it is no mystery that whites tend to always have better schools, better lifestyles and everything else better than everyone else. racism won't go away until there is more equality throughout, but there are too many political and institutional forces trying to prevent that, because it causes too much competition for whites and they don't want to ever see themselves as a group living the way many blacks have to live in this country. i mean, can any of you imagine if that happened? they have to keep the upper-hand to keep their way of life in america. it doesn't mean they will forever, but when won't they? who knows? right now it looks like never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:14 AM
bg7
 
3,153 posts, read 2,149,039 times
Reputation: 3405
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ yes, because you can see he is also black.


anyway tho, it is no mystery that whites tend to always have better schools, better lifestyles and everything else better than everyone else. racism won't go away until there is more equality throughout, but there are too many political and institutional forces trying to prevent that, because it causes too much competition for whites and they don't want to ever see themselves as a group living the way many blacks have to live in this country. i mean, can any of you imagine if that happened? they have to keep the upper-hand to keep their way of life in america. it doesn't mean they will forever, but when won't they? who knows? right now it looks like never.
You do know that asians in America have the highest average educational achievement and the highest average household income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 AM
 
8,752 posts, read 8,611,515 times
Reputation: 4168
Yes but the sheer numbers are vastly different...and so long as you continue to subjugate a portion of the population, and exploit wealth from them, the better it is for you. This has been the foundation of the US economy since it's discovery, and has not changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 AM
 
Location: USA
5,909 posts, read 3,157,208 times
Reputation: 1935
^2 not really. a few asians are doing better in everything than
all white americans combined? come on, man lol. don't make
me laugh. why aren't asians the majority running public office
by now then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Bronx, New York
1,737 posts, read 3,901,968 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Once again I have to ask- why is diversity so much more important than the quality of education? Who cares if schools don't have the "right mix" of white, black, asian, hispanic kids? Who cares if a school is 90% black and 10% other? Why don't teachers focus on teaching the kids sitting right in front of them instead of fretting about why there's no white kids in their class?

By focusing so much on race I don't see how racism will ever be eradicated.
I do believe that both diversity and quality of education are equally important! And it seems like, in many districts of color, there are neither! And that's sad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 AM
 
710 posts, read 875,692 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
..why aren't asians the majority running public office
by now then?
Asians are low key and shy away from spot lights. But it is changing, especially for 2nd and 3rd generations. John Liu is getting ready to run for NYC mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM
bg7
 
3,153 posts, read 2,149,039 times
Reputation: 3405
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^2 not really. a few asians are doing better in everything than
all white americans combined? come on, man lol. don't make
me laugh. why aren't asians the majority running public office
by now then?

I'm not asserting that there "a few asians are doing better in everything than all white americans combined". I'm noting that the quality of life as seen by household income and education indicators show asians doing better than whites on average. I'm saying asians are on track to be in a good position in society. Every single specialized high school in NYC is majority asian. Many elite universities are going that way too. Education isn't the only way to succeed, but its got the highest hit rate. If your response is LOL and throwing up your arms, where will you be in 10 years time? As for your comment re. political office, where do you think "identity" politics will be by the time you retire and the nation continues to become more and more mixed race?

Carry on as usual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top