Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times

Advertisements

I was very surprised about the overall demographics of the students throughout the whole school system, and that whites only make up 15% of the whole system, and Asians even less.

From the article: While the city’s public-school population looks diverse — 40.3 percent Hispanic, 32 percent black, 14.9 percent white and 13.7 percent Asian — many of its schools are nothing of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
I wonder where do white native new yorkers send their kids to school? I used to work with a lady from woodlawn and her husband used to shuttle their kids to school in bordering Yonkers. I'm sure many native white new yorkers send their kids to Catholic school while the WASPS and affluent Jews who make up much of the one percent and the liberal agenda send their kids off to private schools such as feldston in Riverdale. If I had money I too would send my kids to a private institution. The city of New York needs to do a better job in improving schools for all people of different creeds and races and to convince much of the cities white population that public is better, but no one is going to believe that. The only way I see white children attending public school in NYC is through children of transplant parents.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:55 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
I went to a "diverse" middle school, and it was pretty bad. All the white kids were from middle class backgrounds, and the black kids were from low income neighborhoods, so the black kids always bullied the white kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wonder where do white native new yorkers send their kids to school? I used to work with a lady from woodlawn and her husband used to shuttle their kids to school in bordering Yonkers. I'm sure many native white new yorkers send their kids to Catholic school while the WASPS and affluent Jews who make up much of the one percent and the liberal agenda send their kids off to private schools such as feldston in Riverdale. If I had money I too would send my kids to a private institution. The city of New York needs to do a better job in improving schools for all people of different creeds and races and to convince much of the cities white population that public is better, but no one is going to believe that.
This is true. Even in the white areas the public schools are not terribly white. The local elementary in my area is 60% white, and the middle school is around 40-45%.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
I came across this article on the NYT. What do our guys think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/ed...agewanted=1&hp

So far its a sad look at our segregated school system. Being liberal as the NYT is, I wonder if the readers on the UWS who have a high readership of the NYT and aswells as NYT writers and editors of all races if they send thier kids to private schools? .

Anyone who can afford it, and most NYTimes writers can, will send their kids to private school.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Well this should not be a surprise to anyone from NYC. Neighborhhoods have been balkanized for decades, and it is just now beginning to change. When I was in school in the 80s and 90s, I attended grammar school with all hispanics and blacks, and didn't meet or interact with anyone white or asian until HS. And it was the first time I learned about racial tension...I found it strange since I had never experienced it.

The HS was divided racially, so when people sat at lunch it was generally by color....blacks and hispanics on one side, whites on the other...with a few exceptions. It was a very odd thing to see. I was visibly "white", and nonghetto, so I spent most of my time with the whites and fit right in....but found it very odd that others could not interact as well as I did.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,602 times
Don't ask, "Why don't we have white kids?" Ask, "Why don't we have good grades?" White kids are not the savior.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Don't ask, "Why don't we have white kids?" Ask, "Why don't we have good grades?" White kids are not the savior.
White kids are the ones in massive debt from attending colleges and earning degrees that dont generate a enough revenue to back tuition loans if ever. Yep white kids are not saviors and I agree. It looks like america is in an academic crisis especially with a resurgent russia and rising china and india lurking around the corner.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
I think raising the question "why don't we have white kids" is more important than "why don't we have good grades." The larger question of segregation is the real problem, while the "bad grades" are a symptom of that problem: overall inequality, "separate but equal", and the legacy of those which impacts what we see today.

I would also like to add that nobody is alleging that these kids have bad grades...they can have excellent grades and still have a valid point "where are the white kids". We should be asking that in NYC, and we should be asking "where are the colored kids" in all those private schools...and it isn't about grades.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:34 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
According to the article white people thats whats missing from the schools. But when I was in high school the trickle of ghetto white native New Yorkers were just as bad as Ghetto Black and Hispanic students academically and also in behavior. I dont know whats wrong with the schools in this city and what component is needed to make public schools work again and lowering test standards is not going to help, it makes rest of the country laugh at us New Yorkers. Thank goodness I came out of public school alright!
I've fallen off the idea that the schools are at fault for this. This is primarily a parenting problem and not much else. Until someone has the cajones to speak up and do something about it, I wouldn''t expect much change. Throwing money at the problem can only do so much and the city can only subsidize people's lives but so much.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:48 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
And it was the first time I learned about racial tension...I found it strange since I had never experienced it.
HS was the first time I ever felt real racial tension as well. I grew up in Ozone Park [A very mixed area], and even though my elementary had a good mix of white, hispanic, asian, and indian students, there was hardly any tension, likely due to the fact that we all lived in the same neighborhood and had similar lifestyles. Once I entered middle school, there was more racial tensions but not by much, since South Jamaica kids were bused in, but once HS came, it was really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City