Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 PM

349 posts, read 990,985 times

Advertisements

I've noticed there are lots of posters here who have experience living in Washington, D.C.

Just for fun, what kinds of wisdom can you share re. the differences between DC and NYC? What would you say to a DC resident who is entertaining thoughts of moving to NYC? Are you happy or regretful that you moved from one to the other? Any info, advice, or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
There is no comparison.
DC is garbage. It's one dimensional.
I don't even consider DC a real city. It's that horrible.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
It's not NYC vs DC, it's NYC vs everywhere else in the US. Nowhere is like it, so a comparison doesn't work.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
I've noticed there are lots of posters here who have experience living in Washington, D.C.

Just for fun, what kinds of wisdom can you share re. the differences between DC and NYC? What would you say to a DC resident who is entertaining thoughts of moving to NYC? Are you happy or regretful that you moved from one to the other? Any info, advice, or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks
I think BajanYankee would be a good person to talk to about this. I believe he lived in DC for some time but he's back in Brooklyn now.

I only see pictures/videos of DC (aside from the class trips I took in elementary school) but needless to say, I'm just not impressed with anything there. Not my type of place.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:53 AM

31 posts, read 74,322 times
I lived in DC for four years. No comparison--NY wins on EVERY count. Of course, I'm a native New Yorker who loves this city so maybe I'm biased, but--my partner, born and raised in DC, moved to NY after realizing how much she loves it.

NY is friendlier, safer, more fun, more diverse, better food, etc...

Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
the people in dc act like total snobs and they call new yorkers and anyone else not
from there some "bammas". it's really nothing but a little chickensh-t town tho,
with the federal city (washington) surrounded by mostly ghettos (DC) that look
like narrow half-way houses everywhere. they claim the northeast but they're
in a very southern state of mind, so it doesn't compare to nyc at all.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
I've gone between New York and DC for a while now. The best approximation I can come up with is that structurally and aesthetically, it's kind of like Brooklyn without Manhattan. Sure it's pretty, cute, and manageable, but it doesn't quite work on its own. And I say this as a Brooklyn Heights resident.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
DC is much smaller, and has a more relaxed pace of general life, with some people who exude the old southern extreme of relaxation in comparison to NYC. Some neighborhoods have similarities with New York, but it would help to know from what neighborhood reference you are considering NYC. People are not as chatty in NYC as I find in DC, where store clerks, random people on the street, etc. are keen to strike up a passing conversation. Although, that also depends upon where you are in DC, as I find it more to be the case in Georgetown, around the Hill, and Upper NW where people want to chat than around Union Station, for example.

Some people also do not like the vertical city that is New York, especially Manhattan, but there are some tall buildings in the other boroughs as well. DC does not have a similar height aesthetic, which would be a plus for NYC if you like skylines, but not if you prefer not to deal with heights.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM

55 posts, read 124,408 times
DC is an incredible city, maybe not comparable to NYC but not because NYC is better, because its just totally different. DC doesnt have a "southern state of mind". Its a highly transient area with few locals actually from DC, except in the ghettos. The "snob" factor may be due to the fact that there is an extremely high level of education in DC, the highest college degree per capita in the country. People tend to be very into politics (obviously) and technical. With these things considered there is a high degree of intellectuality. Not that NYC lacks intellect but there is a much wider range of people through out. DC is much smaller, but dont discount the food. There are incredible restaurants, anyone who says otherwise hasnt made much, if any, of an attempt in DC.
The truth is people who love NYC love NYC and everything else seems to pale in comparison, but DC has so much to offer, and just a short distance away from DC you can find so many other amazing things to do.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 AM

55 posts, read 124,408 times
Oh and I havent heard anyone use the term "bama" since middle school- about 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: