Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,785,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anon the real victims of anything in NYC are not hipsters, regardless of the neighborhood they live in, it is people of color regardless of the neighborhood they live in. Hipsters are not the ones getting murdered in the street, they are not the ones getting raped and beaten in Bushwick, Harlem, Mott Haven, BedStuy, or anywhere else...it is people of color.

So while you claim the $4,500 a month apt "comes with rapes, beatings, muggings etc", what you fail to realize is that their neighbor who is on section 8 and black is the one who should be worried, not them. And you know why.

They are living places they can afford, or think is cool, or close to the city, or for whatever reason they want...because YOU DONT NEED A REASON OR JUSTIFY ANYTHING TO YOU OR ANYONE. They can live in the city for 1 day or 40 years, pay $8,000 a month for a studio apt in East NY and IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, and they have just as much right to do whatever they want as you do. Why do you waste your time criticizing them? Look around your community....spend more time helping the brown and black folks killing eachother, and less time complaining about the Hipster getting off the train who lives with 3 of his friends.

Geez.
wow... really. I'm done with you man. I don't have to spend time helping the black and brown folks in my neighobhood from killing eachother... Amazingly, they're not savages... Not gonna touch on anything else you mentioned despite the fact that you conveniently ignore the real point of any comment... I really do hope you move out of Mott Haven and find something far away from this city to your liking... People with your mindset do more damage than good in the community...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 03:21 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,967,951 times
[quote=babo111;24329849]Kinda dumb thread... First, hipsters are usually buncha white folks but I've met plenty of black, asian and latin hipsters.../QUOTE]

No it is not. It's an observation and a discussion, not critique. I am not personally against the Hipsters and Yuppies or other folks at all, just to clarify. Yes, the 'sub-cultural' group are composed of various ethnic makeups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Also best way to think of hipsters are that of Silver Surfer (marvel comic). Silver Surfer was/is a herald for Galactus which came to planets to announce Galactus is coming to eat your world. In our example, Hipsters are herald of Gentrification which is coming to devour your area as you know it!
LOL

Quote:
Hipsters are folks who move out ahead of the real rich people (not the ones that pretend) to live in areas that rich people wouldn't normally want to live in. Once enough time passes and with enough hipsters living in certain area...that area becomes usually whiter because most hipsters are white. And people go woo white people = safe.
Yes, Hipsters are not usually rich. They don't compose the upper echelons of society, in terms of economic wealth. Most are within the middle class brackets. I know quite a few myself.

Quote:
Fyi. Typically only the areas with decent public mass transportation (bike or train) to city gets heralded by hipsters. Otherwise you are pretty safe. Look at Red Hook, that place got sh*t mass transportation so it's taking a very long time to get enough hipsters in there for real gentrification to happen.
Red Hook is cutoff by the I-278, some PJ's composing the middle of the neighborhood entirely. The F-G trains are within walking distances in Carrol Gardens and Gowanus. Red Hook is on a fringe so to speak, or it appears to be so. That could be it's issue.

Quote:
And yes, whole thing I wrote is mostly in sarcasm but it is what it is and I'm sure after time passes... New class of herald will rise up. Like yuppies class from previous generations.
Understood

Quote:
Anyway the bottom-line is that most hipsters can't afford to throw down large amount of money to buy up townhouses, nice corner units in apartments, and do a major reno. That's done by rich people who feels safe enough to live in an area that they would not have before. So while hipsters themselves signal possible gentrification, the real gentrification doesn't start till the money rolls in...i.e. people with lot of money who can buy shiet up, fix it up nice. And when enough of those rich people are here. Stores catering to their needs pop-up. Till then relax...
Indeed, that is true. Hipsters usually would go where the rents are cheap or within their spending range.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:47 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,354,160 times
no telling. they are like the new settlers.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:50 PM

555 posts, read 1,179,722 times
Werent the original hipsters black???
or white people who hung mostly with black jazz musicians???

Old 05-16-2012, 04:00 PM

^ lol yep, but u know how that goes.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 PM

835 posts, read 1,036,720 times
Quote:
Fyi. Typically only the areas with decent public mass transportation (bike or train) to city gets heralded by hipsters. Otherwise you are pretty safe. Look at Red Hook, that place got sh*t mass transportation so it's taking a very long time to get enough hipsters in there for real gentrification to happen.
I've noticed that too. That's why neighborhoods like Canarsie, Flatlands, ENY, Mill Basin, and Bergen Park are going down hill. You also have North Bronx neighborhoods like wakefield and queens neighborhoods like laurelton and springfield gardens.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,785,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
I've noticed that too. That's why neighborhoods like Canarsie, Flatlands, ENY, Mill Basin, and Bergen Park are going down hill. You also have North Bronx neighborhoods like wakefield and queens neighborhoods like laurelton and springfield gardens.
yea East NY is so much worse now than when it was dropping 120 bodies a year... And Mill Basin and Bergen Park are beautiful areas, the only things that have changed are the demographics... Same goes for Laurelton and Canarcie aside from the area near Brownsville... Springfield Gardens was much worse back then than it was now...

Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,317,187 times
I can't speak for outlying neighborhoods in Brooklyn, but I think it is reasonable to assume that neighborhoods closest to Manhattan, with immediate train access are those which are currently most desireable. As you progress further out from Manhattan and/or train service is not walking distance, the areas are less desirable.

I cannot say that neighborhoods in the North Bronx, for example, are necessarily getting worse. What I can say is that people are rethinking whether they want to live that far from Manhattan because they don't have to anymore, as crime has become significantly less of a factor, and proximity to the city has become significantly more of a factor.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:11 AM

^ seems like a no-brainer. i don't know what the purpose of white flight was
way back then. what were they thinking? now they want to flock back after everything
is run-down and worn out. o well. good luck with that. they have money to fix everything
besides infrastructure anyway tho.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,278,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ seems like a no-brainer. i don't know what the purpose of white flight was
way back then. what were they thinking? now they want to flock back after everything
is run-down and worn out. o well. good luck with that. they have money to fix everything
besides infrastructure anyway tho.
The GI Bill required single-family homes, which coincided with the first highway building and cheap tract housing. In hindsight we can say it wasn't exactly the smartest thing, but back then people thought that it was future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City