Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times

Advertisements

The free test prep across the board is the answer...not mandating quotas. I understand the kids are at a disadvantage, but the answer is not to lower standards, but to raise the skills of bronx kids.

Ruben Diaz is the stereotypical poverty pimp, and while mandating entrance to Bronx kids sounds great and appeals to the unwashed masses (his voting group), it makes things worse, not better. Want to give kids the opportunity for test prep which you claim makes the difference? GIVE THEM FREE TEST PREP.

But he doesn't think that way....this is the same guy who proclaimed "We would rather not have jobs." I despise him..and he is toxic for the borough. Thankfully, the specialized schools don't care what he says..so it's moot, and nobody is changing standards so this is all hype to appeal to the masses, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
So are you saying we should be extending this false security blanket to the disadvantaged kids in the Bronx or are they good where they are since their innate entrepreneurial spirit will allow them to shine even though they went to a neighborhood high school and state college? I'm really confused by what you are saying. As you say, smart is smart regardless of whether a person went to an elite institution. So why all this hand wringing about the under representation of kids of certain ethnicities?
Me am just saying intercousre the "girlz" that are left...

Old 12-18-2012, 01:46 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,674 times
I graduated from an elite specialized HS and I think this is not fair. The kids who gained admission worked hard to get there. And many were poor and couldn;t afford tutors. I fail to buy the arguement that setting an quota will help. It will only serve to bring down the high standards. If kids want it, they have to work hard to get there. That should be the message.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM

402 posts, read 811,461 times
If anyone wants to know the real answer to Elite Schools admissions, just google List of Nations by Average IQ. Just saying... I mean why should Asian and White kids who are more capable miss out because the blacks and latinos just aren't smart enough?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
No, I don't support a quota. Unfortunately the test is the fairest procedure. Yes some kids have an advantage. Obviously the ones who have parents who can afford the tutors for their kids and other test prep are at an advantage. But I can't agree with Ruben Diaz, the woe is me line is played out and is a cop out. The way you level the playing field is by studying and studying some more which is what the Asian parents do with their kids. Most of them are not wealthy. More math less xbox. More reading less lil weezy.

I agree. Many of the Asian kids who dominate these schools arent the kids of the privileged. The schools are certiainly ot dominated by Upper East Side kids with park Avenue addresses.

The problem with many black/latin kids is poor education and poor preparation. Dumbing down entrance requirements will not help them cope with a very rigorous regimen once they get there.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Having one test on one day is just fine. It is not perfect,.
But it is how admissions to most elite educational institutions in this country are done. LSAT, GMAT, etc are the most important factors in getting into grad school. A score below the range will not be offset by the other factors that they consider.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 PM

Im sure they will just dumb down the courses for them. And they will grade them all on a "ethnic curve"... An Asian C, Is a Black A, etc. What a crock.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
If anyone wants to know the real answer to Elite Schools admissions, just google List of Nations by Average IQ. Just saying... I mean why should Asian and White kids who are more capable miss out because the blacks and latinos just aren't smart enough?

Still peddling that IQ nonsense. Listen to do well in an IQ test one needs a certain grounding in education. How can you expect some one who cannot appreciate shapes etc which is a core factor in geometry to have the cognitive ability to understand what the goal is.

So these tests measure standards of education. Little else.

BTW I score 130 in these tests and I know exactloy why I do. Not innate intelligence. Just loads of educational opportunities. Will not claim that because some semiliterate scored 80 that he is less intelligent than I am.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM

Still? I just signed this forum few days ago... IQ is not based on education. Its not an SAT... Someone who is considered borderline retarded can have an appreciation of shapes... Excuses Excuses... When do the excuses end?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 PM

Thats exactly what that means IQ is the closest measure of actual Inherit intelligence vs learned intelligence(schooling). For example someone with an IQ over 120 without a degree can be considered a slacker, and someone under 100 with a degree an overachiever.. You know those kids in HS that never studied, or paid any attention and got by, they had high IQ's vs the poor kid who went for extra help, did his homework and barely got by if he did at all.'
These are all proven facts I hate to say, White and Asian people are exceptionally smarter than African descendents (especially those in Africa, as opposed to AA's who an average are close to 20% White themselves), and moderately smarter than Latino's (note differences in majority white vs majority Amer-Indian/Mestizo countries). Just as Black Americans particularly are the most athletic people in the world... It's fact, numbers don't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City