Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM

439 posts, read 895,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Well we were just walking down the block I live on, just talking quietly, they stopped us.

I hate cops. They are rotten people.They think they are above the law, and to be honest, I love when one of them dies.
Come on dude, don't say that about cops. There ARE some good, hard working cops who DO care about people and don't harass people. But to say say you feel good about a cop being killed... smh. It makes you sound like the psychopaths the cops are out there to bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:54 PM

171 posts, read 305,110 times
agreed Dapanza, my neighbor growing up and pretty much my step dad is a retired plain clothes transit cop, although retired now he was on the job from late 60's to late 90's. Tough bastard rode the trains throughout the 70's and 80's, engaging criminals, most of the time alone. And they say jews arent tough, don't tell this guy that, or if you do you better run fast..haha
Seriously though, he is one of the best people i have ever known and their family was the only one trusted enough to watch us kids and take care of our house when we weren't around, i still keep in touch with them regularly and visit when im in the old neighborhood.
Not all of them are bad.
I did read an article once from some psych program study that compared cops to organized crime types, psychologically speaking they were motivated by the same desires to get over on the system and be in control of everyone/thing around them.
very interesting to say the least.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,387 times
Quote:
Well we were just walking down the block I live on, just talking quietly, they stopped us.

I hate cops. They are rotten people.They think they are above the law, and to be honest, I love when one of them dies.

...huh? You're kidding, right?

So you're supposed to give us a reason to believe you were just quietly walking around talking...and instead you give us a reason to NOT believe you.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
people who love cops probably never had trouble with cops.
they have guns, so i respect them as authority figures, but
i wouldn't try to tell the next man how to feel about them.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,529,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
If you dress like you are going to church on Sunday, you will less likely be stopped and frisked.

Some kids driving home from BIBLE STUDY were stopped and frisked. By GUN TOTING cops.

You dont live in their world so dont comment on it.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:09 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,529,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
More blacks commit crimes than whites therefore the police feel the need to frisk black people more often. Simple as that. Easy to comprehend, right?

Hered is teh deal. I dont have a problem with the racial breakdown of the stops.

I do have a break down when 684,000 stops yield arrests, fewer than 900 guns and fewer than 6,000 other weapons.

Crime is up in many neighborhoods. Clearly the wrong people are getting frisked.

BTW its really sad when they compare crime 20 years ago to 2012. Crime is down in virtually all major cities and NYC isnt unique. Also community policing and different patterns of the drug trade account for most of this.

THE SAME COMMUNITY POLICING THAT KELLY ADVOACTED in his first round as PC who has now abandoned.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 PM

19,024 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Quote:
I used to like reading your posts. I'm genuinely upset about this one. Painting with a broad brush seems to ONLY be acceptable if the target is police officers. That's sad because Society would benefit from a general belief that people should be judged individually, no matter what they look like, or do for a living.

A lot of civilians would be surprised to know how many cops abhor this program, and are cheering this development regarding the lawsuit. Ray Kelly reacts to lawsuits and community pressure because he does not want anything to mar his legacy.

As Gpsma stated, the intent of the law is a good one, the department brass is abusing it though, and forcing good cops to produce some. Inevitably, some cops take department policy to heart and are zealous in executing those policies, which is a shame.

All I have to say is that people like nightcrawler should stick to thier guns and refuse to use police services at all. Otherwise, they are being highly hypocritical and/or WEAK. I'd be upset to find out that a good cop had to die or be seriously injured for somene like him. The unfortunate fact is that this happens all too frequently.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:26 PM

19,024 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Here's a very intelligent quote regarding the program from a cop I rarely agree with:

Quote:
PBA President Patrick J. Lynch defended stop-and-frisks as "highly effectived law enforcement tools," but did condemn performing them simply to fill quotas.
“When left to the sole discretion of a police officer, summonses and stop and frisks are highly effective law enforcement tools," Lynch said.
"However, when the discretion is removed and a quota for those activities is applied they become ineffective in fighting crime and serve as a tremendous source of friction with the communities that our members are sworn to protect. Eliminating unnecessary and counterproductive quotas will allow police officers to keep New York City safe while winning back the support of its citizens.”

Read more: NYPD issues department-wide memo regarding racial profiling during 'stop-and-frisks' - NYPOST.com
Does he deserve to die nightcrawler? Is it ok if ANYONE believes that you should die because you are gay? If someone told you that you did deserve to die for that, who would you call to report it?

Old 05-17-2012, 05:39 PM

93 posts, read 194,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The good news is that I suspect all the time Pelon has spent reading and commenting on city-data has had a positive impact on his writing skills. The bad news is that his example is pretty common...they stop people just because they can.

This is not police work, this is not an effective strategy against crime, and the NYPD know it. However it does criminalize as many people as possible....which is the ultimate goal.

thanks ma dude. im hittin da books. english im actually good at, i just cant type 2 good.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 PM

93 posts, read 194,241 times
real talk tho the cops r going 2 stop u if ur black or spanish thats just the way it is. so the best thing 2 do is just dont go where they at. u see em at da subway stop? go to anotha one. u see em at the bodega? dont go. stay on the look out n dodge em yo unless u want 2 b given da 3rd degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City