Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 07:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times

Advertisements

One day, when I was still on the trains as a conductor, someone left a wallet on my N train with about $350 cash and a dozen or so credit cards. I radioed this in, and the owner was waiting at the terminal in Coney Island. Funny thing was, she never even said, "Thank you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 01:09 PM

16 posts, read 38,971 times
My fiancé and I were out last weekend and he lost his wallet in Grand Central. We got home and cancelled cards etc, later on that day there is a knock at our apartment door and there was a young girl 21/22 with her small child who explained that she picked it up and walked to our apartment to give it back. Everything was still in there cash/cards/credit cards. My bf gave her $75 for being so honest.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:24 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,702 times
That's really nice. I'm very clumsy myself so when I drop money, people would always tell me.

I don't think things like this would happen a lot these days, given the economy, some people are desperate .

Old 06-13-2012, 09:57 AM

40 posts, read 93,834 times
I Did.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
I have and my father has also.

The one time my wallet was stolen, the person at least had the decency to give it back to the coat check person at the club I was at, minus the $7 cash I had in it. I was more worried about replacing my ID and other items than I was about the cash.

I always give items back if I find them. A few months ago my boss found a wallet and tried in vain to find the person. (It was an out of state license, so this made it more difficult to track). I did a google search, found a number, and called it. Low and behold, it was her. She was so happy when we gave her back the wallet.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:53 PM

387 posts, read 680,168 times
It just happened to me. My wallet has a money clip on it. I put my money in my pocket & I left the wallet on the counter of my Pharmacy. went about my business & did my shopping. Went to checkout & my wallet felt diffrent.

Went back to retrive my wallet & the clerk gave it back to me. Sure it wasn't a long period of time, & i'm sure cameras would have told the truth if the clerk has been less than honest. However had he looked though the wallet he would have found my stash of "emergency money" three one hundred dollar bills & 2 fiffties, not to mention some nice plastic inculding my AMEX card.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Something related happened to me at Staples. The copy machines there take debit cards as a convenient option if we don't feel like buying their blue copy card. Anyway, I left my debit card in the reader and a nice person give it to the Staples staff. I assume it was the next user because his/her card won't insert if there's already a card in the reader. So I got it back 45 minutes later when I realized what I'd done. The clerk told me debit cards left behind in their machines happens a lot. So, to the nice people of the world who do what's right, I salute you and say: God bless you.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
New "Lucky Bag" operation story in the news.

Tourist Sues City For $1 Million After Getting Arrested In NYPD "Operation Lucky Bag" Sting

A tourist from Atlanta who was enjoying Central Park with his family in August of 2011 got swept up in the NYPD's controversial "Operation Lucky Bag" after he noticed an old, "smelly" purse abandoned by a bench. Yakov Dubin, 49, had stopped to tie his shoe when he spotted the handbag and peered inside, discovering a cool $27 and no identification. According to a $1 million lawsuit filed against the city, Dubin "removed the cash from the purse, with the intention to then find a park ranger or other officer, to which he could turn the money over." Unfortunately for him, the officers were already there.

article continues -- click the link.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 AM

364 posts, read 708,269 times
I lost my wallet once at Jones Beach back in 2000 and 6 months later, I got a letter for the beach (department of recreation?) saying that they found my wallet in the sand and asked me to go there to pick it up. My ID was in there, along with my credit cards. No cash though.

Fast forward to 2010, I was at Governor's Island and once again I dropped my wallet while riding a bike (it fell off of my back pocket). I reported it to the lost & found. 2 days later, I got my wallet back in the mail. Again, nothing was missing, except the $40 I had in there.

I guess I should be glad that, people will at least return your wallet.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
OK, show of hands: How many think this guy, who kept the cash & dumped the wallet, was going to look for the nearest park ranger? How many think he's friends with Stagger Lee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City