Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:21 PM

42 posts, read 169,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checklife View Post
Haha, never heard of it & I'm actually bored enough so... Here I go! wish me luck
You won't be dissapointed! Maybe scared, but never dissapointed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 AM

18 posts, read 47,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanLover View Post
You won't be dissapointed! Maybe scared, but never dissapointed!
Oh lord, that movie.... :| Abstinence = clearly the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Can't really give you much advice bro but I give you a lot of props for taking a big step. I drove through Ocala twice and thought I was on a different planet. I'm glad to see that there are still teens out there that are willing to take big steps in their lives.
Yeah, Ocala is ........ different. :P
But I really appreciate it bro.. Seriously. It's going to be hard, but so is anything else in live worth having.

Last edited by checklife; 05-21-2012 at 01:21 AM..

Old 05-21-2012, 04:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Is it indoors? I'm assuming once I get there in late-august it'll start to cool off, i mean the cold wouldn't be a problem while playing if its outdoors but do people actually play in September/October?
Septmeber / October has some of the best weather of the year though by the end of October it's getting a bit cool-ish. But it's time of the year you'd be more likely to see people doing outdoor things not less likely.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Septmeber / October has some of the best weather of the year though by the end of October it's getting a bit cool-ish. But it's time of the year you'd be more likely to see people doing outdoor things not less likely.
Are there free indoor courts for when it's snowing? I may seem stuck on the subject of basketball, but living where I live, it's all I really know outside of academics lol. I'm the quintessential athlete- a gym rat. You could drop me off at a public basketball court at noon & pick me up at 10pm and I'd be happy as can be. Like I said, I'm not really a social drinker.. so going out to parties and getting drunk to meet people isn't really gonna be my thing. I mean sure, I'm gonna be a college student, I'm sure I'll do my share of partying but I'd much rather meet people around my age that share a few common interests that don't include drinking until you can't remember anything 3-5 times a week. (This is why I chose to go to a Christian University- Less of a party scene & more of a focus on building actual relationships.)

Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Are there free indoor courts for when it's snowing? I may seem stuck on the subject of basketball, but living where I live, it's all I really know outside of academics lol. I'm the quintessential athlete- a gym rat. You could drop me off at a public basketball court at noon & pick me up at 10pm and I'd be happy as can be.
I don't know as I don't live in New York. Won't your school have a gym even if small? Most normal winters in New York snow is on the ground off and on maybe for a total of a few weeks, unlike where I'm living on. Still will feel cold, especially to someone from Florida. But you heat up from moving around. If there's snow, why not take advantage and do something different? Sledding Central Park? Cross-Country skiing might be possible.

The public basketball courts attract the (sometimes sketchy) local teenagers, but if you're good you'll probably be respected and meet people with a different background. Dunno really.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The public basketball courts attract the (sometimes sketchy) local teenagers, but if you're good you'll probably be respected and meet people with a different background. Dunno really.
Yeah, people say the same about the courts I go to- I'm not gonna lie, sometimes people will be at the park smoking weed or something but that's about as bad as it gets (here, anyway.) - This is another reason I wanted an indoor gym you had to pay for though, I'm used to bringing my phone, wallet, keys, ipod, expensive high quality headphones, etc and just leaving them off to the side while I play. In a YMCA or another pay-gym you don't really have to worry about people stealing your stuff because you can lock it up & even if you don't people that go to those places are mostly upper class people so I can rest assured no one is going to try to steal my stuff while I'm working out. I know the crowd you're talking about though, I've played in big cities like Boston and Miami, as long as I don't do anything reckless like throw a guy to the ground or talk trash I shouldn't have a problem. If anything I guess I could make use of all the cardio I put in and run

The college doesn't have it's own gym, but they have partnerships with other schools and gyms to use their stuff for sports or whatever. I might join the basketball team, which would give me unlimited access to their facility, but I can't walk on until the season starts sometime in October / November so I'm gonna need at least something temporary assuming, God willing, I make the team :].

Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
As far as tuition goes, doesn't that 40,000 a year include some type of meal plan? I'm not sure how your school works but I know Columbia likes to make meal plans mandatory at least for freshmen. In terms of work, perhaps your school offers work study jobs. These are usually things like working in the library, computer labs etc. Of course a financial aid package usually consists of grants, loans and work study so perhaps that is already included in your 35,000. As far as meeting girls, again I don't know anything about your school but Columbia is coed and right next door is Barnard, an all female college. There is no shortage of college women you can potentially date. Just try to focus on school work as well.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
As far as tuition goes, doesn't that 40,000 a year include some type of meal plan? I'm not sure how your school works but I know Columbia likes to make meal plans mandatory at least for freshmen. In terms of work, perhaps your school offers work study jobs. These are usually things like working in the library, computer labs etc. Of course a financial aid package usually consists of grants, loans and work study so perhaps that is already included in your 35,000. As far as meeting girls, again I don't know anything about your school but Columbia is coed and right next door is Barnard, an all female college. There is no shortage of college women you can potentially date. Just try to focus on school work as well.
TKC doesn't offer a meal plan, it's part of their "we teach the students to be independent" thing they got going on.

My financial aid package doesn't include a work study, but I am already planning on working at the school, it'll be 20 hours a week at 10/hour- BTW disregard that paragraph asking about loans, I got the whole $40,840 secured & ready to go. So if I'm gettin 800/month before taxes, how much will I actually take home? My uncle said somewhere in the 600 range? Is that straight to live off as a college kid? Only need to cover food and transportation, maybe half of a personal high speed internet bill with my roomate anything else would be a luxury.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:57 AM

Shamelessly bumping this thread hoping for more insight

Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
I 'm not a ball player but I do know of people who have gone to this place and like it:

League Info - Adult Basketball - The Field House at Chelsea Piers - New York City - NYC - 10011

Chelsea Piers has a good reputation generally and they do have indoor adult basketball leagues. Chelsea Piers is a huge recreational sports complex on the Hudson River near 23rd st. with lots of other things as well. Might be worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City