Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 AM

455 posts, read 651,867 times

Advertisements

10 years from now the hipsters will be gone and replaced with a new media inspired and marketed culture. And the same people will be bitchin!!!

the hippie culture
the hip hop/thug culture
the yuppie culture
the hipster culture
the tba culture

not in my neighborhood (like you own it, LOL!)
this is not the real culture (like you have any say in it )
i want to go back to the days when it was real (sure, you do!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
The stereotypes running rampant on here are kinda sad. I take it when the "transplants" categorize the "native" NYers as ghetto, grape-soda drinking, kool-aid loving, salsa-blasting, oversized t-shirt wearing, HS drop-outs living at home at age 35 with their girlfriend and her babies....everyone is ok with that?

If you believe that the transplants culture stereotypes have merit, then so do these stereotypes for "native." So what is your point? Are we determining who is worse or who is better? From where I sit, I think the answer is clear.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 05-24-2012 at 07:26 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 07:01 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,900 times
NYC became fashionable and a cool place

New York has ALWAYS been a intersting, fashionable and cool place that people wanted to and dreamed about coming to.

Also you honestly think that the "hipster" lifestyle was started by some group in Nowheresville Iowa?
I am betting most of them come here and turn into what you guys are calling hipsters rathern then coming from their hipsterville middle of US state.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:08 AM

I would agree with the NYC77 100%. NYC has always been an appeal, both nationally and internationally. But somehow, when there are "too many red-blooded Americans" (aka Hipsters, midwesterners, or whatever other American group you want to describe) coming to NYC instead of the unwashed masses from 3rd world countries..it is a problem and these Americans "don't belong and should go back to where they came from."

That mentality is so dysfunctional I don't know where to start.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would agree with the NYC77 100%. NYC has always been an appeal, both nationally and internationally. But somehow, when there are "too many red-blooded Americans" (aka Hipsters, midwesterners, or whatever other American group you want to describe) coming to NYC instead of the unwashed masses from 3rd world countries..it is a problem and these Americans "don't belong and should go back to where they came from."

That mentality is so dysfunctional I don't know where to start.

This is correct. I think though that that one stereotype does hold. The newcomers are often more afluent than the natives. (Even some of the foreign immigrants come here with more cash than you might suspect). And this is where the stress comes from. Not that nonsense about having Macs or drinking Starucks. That's irrelevant. They just have more money and thus more options than a lot of natives. Even if its just the option to pick up and move. That rubs some people the wrong way, especially if they dont have any options themselves.

Last edited by citylove101; 05-24-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
u mean spoiled brats?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 AM

11Kap...so those who are more affluent are "spoiled brats" and those who are poor are "hood rats." Way to go with the stereotypes...see how nobody wins? So please...stop with the divisive name calling..for every bad thing you can say about a transplant, there are 10 bad things we can say about the natives or whatever ethnic group you are...there are no winners in this stupid game.

What I am learning from all this is kinda eye opening. When new people move into a neighborhood in 2012, unless they completely meld into the existing community, abide by their rules and lifestyle, you are met with anger and blame for their personal problems and the problems of the city. And this is apparently acceptable to many in 2012. Now let's rewind to the 50s and 60s when colored folks were moving into neighborhoods...they didn't meld with the existing community, abide by their rules and lifestyle, and were met with anger and blame for all the problems of the city. So I guess that was ok too..right? Hypocritical much?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
This is correct. I think though that that one stereotype does hold. The newcomers are often more afluent than the natives. (Even some of the foreign immigrants come here with more cash than you might suspect). And this is where the stress comes from. Not that nonsense about having Macs or drinking Starucks. That's irrelevant. They just have more money and thus more options than a lot of natives. Even if its just the option to pick up and move. That rubs some people the wrong way, especially if they dont have any options themselves.
So then, it is an economic distinction and division. Here I go sounding egregious and classist again, but money and social status/class seem to be at the root of this division. The whole so called transplant culture, or at least what people are throwing out there as transplant culture, is one that gives a sense of affluence: expensive electronics, expensive coffee, expensive degrees, expensive rent, etc. Never mind the fact that there are native NYers that have always been affluent, whether they were born into that status or advanced to that status through education and employment (and that employment is only open to them because of their education). Also, keep in mind that this type of status doesn't necessary mean that you have to be monetarily affluent. Social status is based, in large part, on education and access to resources.

You can take native NYers, whether they be form Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, SI, BX and those that fall under the category of "haves" probably have a whole lot of so called "transplant-ish" habits and likes.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Yes it is called life in 2012 in NYC.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ big deal, sobro. u will always have the clueless
middleman too, so no need to get perplexed by it lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City