U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,081,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I can only imagine NCAA college basketball games being held at the new arena is Brooklyn. It will generate a lot of revenue amongst many Transplants who live in the area surrounding the Arena. It will be a mad house.
I think the area as a whole will generate a lot more revenue than before. With an arena, comes more people before games so more retail is sort of inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Capacity,

Basketball 18,103

Hockey 14,500 (The Islanders are stuck with a lease that will keep them at the decrepit Nassau Coliseum until 2015 Lol!)

Concerts 19,000 (Jay-Z will open the new arena on September 28)

Impressive, altough I'm not usually an advocate for new construction. (Seating bowl modeled after Staples Center in LA)

As far as concerts Barbra Streisand is also performing there and her first show sold out within 5 Minutes. I know she's a huge musician but I honestly didn't expect that. The arena is so young and is already selling out shows Lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 PM

5,475 posts, read 5,073,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I think the area as a whole will generate a lot more revenue than before. With an arena, comes more people before games so more retail is sort of inevitable.

As far as concerts Barbra Streisand is also performing there and her first show sold out within 5 Minutes. I know she's a huge musician but I honestly didn't expect that. The arena is so young and is already selling out shows Lol.
The death of MSG. But on the other hand there's always gonna be artists who will play the Garden because of its legendary and historical status.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 PM

The Garden will ALWAYS be legendary, the Barclays Center have a long way to go before that status. There's room for the both of them.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 PM

8,529 posts, read 7,868,927 times
Quote:
The death of MSG. But on the other hand there's always gonna be artists who will play the Garden because of its legendary and historical status.
Msg still gets shows however it has to compete with yankee stadium and batclays center for venue offerings. Anything exciting at citi fields?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 AM

Maybe Justin Bieber will play Yankee Stadium anyday now when gentrification is coming on strong.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 PM

641 posts, read 603,892 times
Quote:

Nah MSG is too legendary plus it's in Manhattan, not to mention this city is big enough for two big arenas

Even though I know MSG can't be happy about this because there's still that arena in Newark, Yankee stadium, and now the Barclays center a lot of competition in the NY area

Old 05-25-2012, 12:24 AM

8,529 posts, read 7,868,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Nah MSG is too legendary plus it's in Manhattan, not to mention this city is big enough for two big arenas

Even though I know MSG can't be happy about this because there's still that arena in Newark, Yankee stadium, and now the Barclays center a lot of competition in the NY area
Too much competetion.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 AM

The day MSG is not a grossing venue anymore the "revitalization forces" will be more than willing to tear it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post

There's not much competition between an indoor arena and a stadium. Most major acts can fill an arena 18,000-20,000 but only a few a whole stadium and during the winter stadiums are of course excluded.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM

Some photos I recently took. . . . (It'll be open in a couple of months, literally!)

^^ The Oculus

^^Signage is covered.

^^ From a distance

I really think this will have a good outcome for new retail opportunities and more street vibrancy.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:28 PM

2,812 posts, read 2,542,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
Someday soon, you'll be writing the thread "Remember when it didn't take you a a half-hour to drive on 4th Ave. from Butler Street to Atlantic Avenue?"
~ No doubt traffic will be a nightmare. It was pretty congested when there was nothing there. Like Fred says, "what ya gonna do".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City