Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:05 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,298,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I don't know how you can say NYC isn't pricey, when I think 99% of EVERYTHING there is more money.
I didn't say NYC wasn't pricey, I in fact maintained several times in several different ways that NYC IS expensive.

I just countering insuinuations and assertions that you have to make obscene amounts of money to live here if you don't want to live in the ghetto and/or starve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:06 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,199,452 times
Quote:
I don't know how you can say NYC isn't pricey, when I think 99% of EVERYTHING there is more money.

I really can't think of an item that would be cheaper out there. Doesn't that make it pricey in comparison to the rest of the US?

Cigs alone are about $4-$5 a pack more, McDonalds prices in the city are higher than NJ, drinks on average is more expensive, and housing certainly gets you less bang for your buck in the city. It's pricey, no denying it.
Well the thing that kinda evens it out is that it's a big city and there is more resourcefullness, especially in less gentrified areas. Don't wanna pay $4 or $5 bucks more for cigs there is always that hustle man on the corner by the train who will sell them to you at the price you are willing to pay. Think McDonalds is too expensive well you can go to a bodega or a place like Jumbo Hamburger and get a burger there. ETC, etc, etc...

Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,204,065 times
Quote:

I really can't think of an item that would be cheaper out there. Doesn't that make it pricey in comparison to the rest of the US?

Cigs alone are about $4-$5 a pack more, McDonalds prices in the city are higher than NJ, drinks on average is more expensive, and housing certainly gets you less bang for your buck in the city. It's pricey, no denying it.
Cigarettes and tobacco products cost more in NYC because the mayor is attempting to get people to stop. While I'm a smoker and I don't think it's his business, that's pretty much the only reason why they cost more. McDonald's is also more expensive when you're on a highway, so what's your point that it's more expensive in NYC? They have higher rent to pay. Housing in NYC varies and yes, it's more expensive but if you moved to L.A., would living in the city be expensive? Of course it would. Where you live and what you earn is all relative. NYC is desirable real estate no matter which borough you live in and as long as real estate is desirable, it will always be pricey.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:37 AM

42 posts, read 169,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I don't knock anyone who is willing to work in the food industry. I don't know if I could do it because I hate dining with very fussy people who want to change the entire menu lol...but it IS hard work constantly running around and being on your feet. Your 30 hours is nothing like my 30 hrs. I'm mentally drained but as a food server I think you get mentally and physically drained when you push those 40-50 hr weeks.
This is so true, Im gonna miss my office job when I move back to the city to wait tables. It can be very taxing. I agree w/the thread starter for the most part though. My guess is a lot of people on here are just the extremely safe, plan ahead, save everything type

Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 22,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
That is so true! But for us native NY'ers, it's not THAT expensive because most of us make the salary that affords us to live here. It's all relative and people sometimes don't realize they have to readjust. When people come from outwest, midwest or down south where it's less expensive, the prices here are like a culture shock lol.
I'm originally from the Northeast but have lived in the Southeastern US for entirely longer than I anticipated. I'm currently working on relocating to the city and I don't find the price differences to be that shocking.

I've noticed that in general other than rent, things are only slightly more expensive. Granted, I live well below my means where I am at the moment and am not prone to extravagant tastes, so maybe that accounts for some of my lack of surprise.

I took a walk through a grocery store to get an idea of what things will cost and figured that a week's worth of groceries would cost relatively close to the same as what I'm paying now.

Meat's about the same price, dry/canned goods are slightly more expensive, and fruit/produce actually costs less than what I'm used to paying.

Books and CDs are right in the same price range too.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:08 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,204,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who me? View Post
I'm originally from the Northeast but have lived in the Southeastern US for entirely longer than I anticipated. I'm currently working on relocating to the city and I don't find the price differences to be that shocking.

I've noticed that in general other than rent, things are only slightly more expensive. Granted, I live well below my means where I am at the moment and am not prone to extravagant tastes, so maybe that accounts for some of my lack of surprise.

I took a walk through a grocery store to get an idea of what things will cost and figured that a week's worth of groceries would cost relatively close to the same as what I'm paying now.

Meat's about the same price, dry/canned goods are slightly more expensive, and fruit/produce actually costs less than what I'm used to paying.

Books and CDs are right in the same price range too.
Yep. My friend lives in Texas and she said other than housing, everything else is pretty much the same. Some groceries are more there than there but also vice versa. Selections are limited too so sometimes that factors into the cost. But I think if you look at housing alone, NYC is higher. There are things here that cost more because of the punishment tax lol...

Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
$4-5 for cigarettes, try $6-10 dollar on the west coast. Obviously nyc is expensive, and often times people moving here want to live in a big apartment in the trendiest neighborhood that they fell in love with when they visited here, often times I have found that the first year from the people I have known who have moved here will either stuggle with the changes or adapt to them. After the first year is when it is easier to decide if it is worth staying or not, but that is the same with any new city. One doesn't need a six figure job to live in nyc and enjoy the city, it is all about how you manage your time and money that allows you to enjoy it here.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM

88,295 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I would love to live in NYC, but I could never afford it. Giving up my car, I still couldn't afford it ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You probably could but it might not be up to your standards. You probably feel your money gets you a much more comfortable living situation in Jersey. For most people it comes down to that. Some people feel its worth it, many don't.
The lack of knowledge works in reverse, too. On the NJ forum, we get New Yorkers every so often thinking they are going to find an apartment for $800 or be able to buy a house with a big yard for for $200K. And they think they'll be able to get a 45-minute commute to boot, lol.

I think NooYowkur81 is right, though. A lot depends upon what you are willing to trade off.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM

88,295 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
$4-5 for cigarettes, try $6-10 dollar on the west coast. Obviously nyc is expensive, and often times people moving here want to live in a big apartment in the trendiest neighborhood that they fell in love with when they visited here, often times I have found that the first year from the people I have known who have moved here will either stuggle with the changes or adapt to them. After the first year is when it is easier to decide if it is worth staying or not, but that is the same with any new city. One doesn't need a six figure job to live in nyc and enjoy the city, it is all about how you manage your time and money that allows you to enjoy it here.

Cigarettes are $11 or $12 a pack in Manhattan. The person you are quoting said $4 - $5 a pack MORE.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,298,140 times
Well thank god I don't smoke, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City