Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:48 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post

Apparently after 33 years, he suddenly feels remorse. Let the violins play ...
I read that his possible feelings of remorse and empathy -- not typical in a sociopath -- might have kept him from repeating his behavior again.
So that's a good thing I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Why would a parent send their 6 yr old child (a baby) to walk alone, unsupervised, to a bus stop?!! Parents are responsible, they should be charged for negligence.
In 2012 it would be a horrible thing to do to a child.
However, 33 years ago it was quite common.
Even in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
Is this how you treat all people with questions about Christianity looking to maybe see how it can fit in their life?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 11:32 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
With more details emerging, and the psychiatric history of the alleged murderer, it seems as though this may be the person sought in the death of Etan. However, family members knew, and never contacted police? And, there was an allegation that he had once before confessed to the police. Who knows whom or what to believe, but it seems that people, who were not clergy members, around the suspect knew the story, and did nothing about it.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-26-2012, 11:42 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
bmw guy why did we suddenly hear about this the day before(5/24) it happened(5/25) and it fell on a Friday yet, same day as in 1979. this is what gets me

Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I always remember the story of Etan, the boy who never made it to school, and I feel for his family to have to go through this yet again. This tragedy terrified a generation of Manhattan parents, including my own, and still resonates with those who grew up knowing about the disappearance. Still no closure with a confession, and that's what is the most tragic, since there's no conclusive proof to any of the disturbing stories that swirled around this case.

I don't understand the motivation of the alleged murderer, either. Who wakes up and decides that they are going to kill a child, and then goes about living a regular middle-class lifestyle in NJ? It doesn't add up, as that would be the product of a sick mind, but no mental illness history, arrests, etc. I know SoHo was a gritty neighborhood then, but it seems to have had a number of sexual predators, judging from the leads in this case, during the era, in a relatively small place. Was the alleged murderer spaced out on drugs, and murdered Etan in some sort of drug-induced haze? It just does not add up, not that it has to, but if only there were some shred of objective evidence to prove the assertions of the confession. Otherwise, the saga continues, with more questions than answers, even if the NYPD labels the case as closed, with or without a conviction. So very sad.
There is another possibility that could make this story make more sense.Perhaps Etan is not the only victim of this creep.He may have been just the first victim because this guy was only 19 at the time.

The one element of the story that is hardest to believe (and that makes the whole story hard to believe) is the "one and done" aspect. We all know that predators like this are usually serial predators.I am not going to be surprised at all if it comes out that there are other victims over the years.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:15 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
I've been thinking the same thing. Could be other victims.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 PM

84 posts, read 249,962 times
The dudes a monster, how could someone kill a child like Etan Patz, he's the cutest thing I've ever seen. This guy is bipolar, has AIDS and Cancer what a life.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:05 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
this was certainly a dark day in American History as the nation's deadliest plane crash occurred in Chicago just 6 hours after Etan dissapeared. I remembered Etan's dissapearance that day but oddly not the plane crash, but i wonder if the 2 events were ever viewed as something that would make 5/25 a dark day in American history. in 1979, 5/25 fell on a Friday as it is today.
Wow..did u bring back a memory. That plane was an american airlines jet, bound for la, and an engine fell off. I was on an american plane headed for la from ny at the same time. We had to divert to dallas because of mechanical problems. We land with fire and crash trucks chasing us down the runway. The plane lost some hydraulics but did come to a screeching halt. As we deplaned there were news teams filming us..most thought that the news people were there because they heard we had problems. Yes they did but they knew about the crash in chicago,we didnt. The news people told us about the crash not thinking that relatives of passengers on our plane were on the chicago plane. Needless to say it was some site to see the reactions...very sad...nothing i could forget.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:45 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Wow..did u bring back a memory. That plane was an american airlines jet, bound for la, and an engine fell off. I was on an american plane headed for la from ny at the same time. We had to divert to dallas because of mechanical problems. We land with fire and crash trucks chasing us down the runway. The plane lost some hydraulics but did come to a screeching halt. As we deplaned there were news teams filming us..most thought that the news people were there because they heard we had problems. Yes they did but they knew about the crash in chicago,we didnt. The news people told us about the crash not thinking that relatives of passengers on our plane were on the chicago plane. Needless to say it was some site to see the reactions...very sad...nothing i could forget.
I remember the plane crash. If it's the same one I'm thinking of, there was one survivor, a little girl of about two years old, strapped in her airplane seat.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:53 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
no, that was NW Airlines flight 255 in August 1987 in Romulus, Mich

the deadliest crash happened on 5/25/79, a Friday, at O Hare Airport. AA flt 191

Old 05-26-2012, 04:06 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
no, that was NW Airlines flight 255 in August 1987 in Romulus, Mich

the deadliest crash happened on 5/25/79, a Friday, at O Hare Airport. AA flt 191
Thanks! Yes, I mixed them up in the "airplane crashes" file cabinet in my memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City