Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:59 PM

208 posts, read 464,072 times

Advertisements

Didn't you already post this question?
This is NYC you don't get everything you want so ask yourself what to you want most. Convenience? Price? Privacy? "Best location" I don't know the prices of any of the the locations but The most convenient and best location is the Y (use to live across the street). Sound like the spanish harlem one is private and the NJ one why would you bother. Also take into account price of transportation when you figure out the hotel budget. The Y you can walk to, spanish Harlem you can take a bus/train for $2.25 or probably $10 taxi each way. NJ I would assume a bus into the city and then the train. Don't know the prices but expect to pay about $5-7 each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 05:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
I'm also having a strong feeling of deja vu here.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:40 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Another option is the Vanderbilt Y on East 47th Street: Guest Rooms at the Vanderbilt YMCA | YMCA of New York City . I know people that stayed there many years ago and were satisfied with the experience.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytuckoo View Post
Okay, It's right in between 1st Ave and 2nd Ave, on 100 st. I should also mention that I will probably be coming home as late as 10 or 10:30 pm. As I mentioned, I am a female in my early 30's.

Thanks!

That should be fine. Don't diddle on the street and just plan on everything being a quick short walk to the M15 bus NORTH on First Ave and M15 bus SOUTH on Second Ave.

Fill me in, how much IS the room rent at the 63rd St. Y these days.

(It used to be the place for non-stop Gay Sex in every nook and cranny...that's why it was "fun to stay at the Y M C A" as the song goes.)

Old 05-27-2012, 02:33 PM

10 posts, read 29,186 times
Moderator cut: Not a problem, both threads now merged into this one.

The Y is going to cost $120 a night. I was pretty happy with the decision, until Kefir King confirmed my fears about the reputation of YMCA! That's exactly the reason my friend hated it. I was hoping that I can eliminate the problem by getting a single room, plus a semi-private bathroom.

Once again, I'm sorry about the extra thread.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-27-2012 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Merged threads

Old 05-27-2012, 02:41 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Another option is the Vanderbilt Y on East 47th Street: Guest Rooms at the Vanderbilt YMCA | YMCA of New York City . I know people that stayed there many years ago and were satisfied with the experience.
I second that, it was renovated I guess about 10 years ago. It's clean in a safe area. Only thing as with all Y's is the bathrooms aren't squeaky clean so make sure you have the rubber flip flops and buy containers for your soap.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:57 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
Why Y? If you're a female, have you checked around for other women-only places? Last time I looked, the Y wasn't even that cheap. Too bad you didn't mention your budget.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:08 AM

455 posts, read 651,362 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Not a problem, both threads now merged into this one.

The Y is going to cost $120 a night. I was pretty happy with the decision, until Kefir King confirmed my fears about the reputation of YMCA! That's exactly the reason my friend hated it. I was hoping that I can eliminate the problem by getting a single room, plus a semi-private bathroom.

Once again, I'm sorry about the extra thread.
Did you friend have a private or a share room? If he/she had a share room then what do you expect? A share room will equal gay and straight sex.

Why don't you stay at a hotel? I mean if you could afford 120 a night you could probably afford a hotel room

Old 05-29-2012, 11:11 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,873,496 times
Quote:
Okay, It's right in between 1st Ave and 2nd Ave, on 100 st. I should also mention that I will probably be coming home as late as 10 or 10:30 pm. As I mentioned, I am a female in my early 30's.

Thanks!
you'll be fine. the assosicated supermarket on 102nd and 2nd is the best in the area, and makes the best sandwiches, and seafood salad. gristedes isnt too far away either. chinese food, is right on 2nd as well, they changed the name of it. used to be called good taste, but you'll know it because its yellow. great food. staff from metropolitan hospital all order, and patronize there.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 29,186 times
Hi, thanks for all the replies. Right now, I have a single room at the Y plus a semi-private bathroom. I checked hotels in the area, and they're over $200 a night! I found a nice hotel right at the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, NJ. It's about $112 a night and I'm being strongly encouraged to stay there, but it's a long way away from 85th street between Amsterdam and Columbus. Also, I'm unsure about the Harlem one because I found out about them through Craigslist and there are so many scams on that site now. They are very polite Japanese people, and I as well as my father spoke to them a few times in Japanese. They also have details about the place in Japanese on a website, and the posting is about a year old. I also googled their names to see if there are warnings, which I found none. Is it reasonable to trust them based on what I've seen? According to them, it's about $80 a night and I think they're private rooms with washer and dryer. How is the commute between GW bridge (Fort Lee), and also from 100st between 1st and 2nd street? The events might finish as late as 10pm, and I need to get back every morning by 8 or so.

BTW, about my friend who stayed at the Y and hated it -- He stayed in a single room with (I think but I can't recall to well) a shared bathroom. According to him, there were some sketchy things going on in the bathroom. I tried to avoid that problem by splurging on a semi-private bathroom, hence the high price of $120. Other rooms with shared bath were about $100. I really want to like that arrangement since it's so close to the events, but am worried about the problem of sketchy "activities" going on around where I would be staying.

Last edited by babytuckoo; 05-29-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City