Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

I hope it doesn't sound like a stupid question, I know TV shows never represent a place well. Its not the show has been history for a few years now. While I watched it a bunch of times when it was actually on, they have full episodes on you-tube.

I ask, because on this board people draw comparisons between Chicago and New York. I however do not see it they way others do. I will say that it does seem like Queens is the one borough that is most like Chicago. (With the exception of greater downtown Chicago (Loop, Mag Mile, River North, Gold Coast) which are more like someone carefully picked and selected a small sample of Manhattan and laid them out on display).

The characters in the show seem to have what I might consider a very typical Chicago personality (with a different accent of course). Also the housing stock is very similar. Queens has the right mix of single family homes (and similar architectural styles) and larger apartment buildings that is like Chicago. Both have a good public transit.

The differences however are diversity. While Chicago is culturally/ethnically diverse, Queens is much more so. There are WAY more asians in Queens like California-percentage wise. Despite Chicago being international, Asian % is more of an American average. I guess Chicagos mexican population is similar to the Puerto Rican population in Queens.

Interestingly enough, Queens south side is the side that is largely African American like Chicago, but Queens AA population is on average much more well off, and more middle class. Unfortunately the same can not be said for Chicago. Chicagos AA areas are very "rustbelt" Better maintained and less abandoned than Detroit, but is still desperate and desolate nonetheless. And more often than not, middle class AA areas, are often more integrated too.

Anyways, I was wondering what you have to say about the show. For the parts of Queens that are more "generational Irish-Italian-American" Queens neighborhoods does the show portray that well?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
The show doesn't terrible accurately portray Queens. Queens is far more heavily immigrant dominated [especially Asian and hispanic] then the show makes it out to be.

I believe it takes place in Middle Village, which is still a heavily multi-generational Irish-Italian neighborhood. Not many neighborhoods in Queens that are like that anymore though, only Middle Village, Howard Beach, Belle Harbor, and a few others.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Show is supposed to take place in Rego Park I believe^^^^^^

Old 05-26-2012, 02:49 AM

669 posts, read 1,273,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Yea its Rego Park

And I agree completely and have thought this for a while but Queens is very similar to Chicago to me too except more diverse and without a huge downtown area.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:54 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i dont know about portraying queens but my wife calls doug my brother.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
They often show "Lefrak City" where Deacon is supposed to live in apartment 16C.
But they show it as a group of mid rise buidings...like 8 stories or so?
Lefrak City are high rises.
It wouldn't have been TOO hard to get that right.

I agree with the poster who said that KOQ is not ethnically diverse enough.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Really? I always though it was MV, the house looks like a house in MV. I know in the show, they also often go to a bar that is located in Glendale.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Really? I always though it was MV, the house looks like a house in MV. I know in the show, they also often go to a bar that is located in Glendale.
I looked it up, and found that although the show is supposed to take place in Rego Park, the actual house they used for filming is in New Jersey. The King of Queens House | IAMNOTASTALKER

Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
makes me think how well did "Maude" represent Tuckahoe NY between 1972 and 1978...

Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,557 times
Their house that is supposedly in Queens is acutally a house across the river in Jersey.

The King of Queens House | IAMNOTASTALKER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City