U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:21 PM

2,517 posts, read 1,771,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBlueRuins View Post
I know there are a couple of Bronx neighbourhoods that are predominantly white, but I assume that, they're on the higher end of the Bronx rents which is a shame considering the modern society we're supposed to be living in. I even read an article recently on the Gothamist that accused some neighbourhoods of turning non-white house hunters away. But how about the other way round?

I don't think it's inflammatory to say that, unfortunately, neighbourhoods where the demographics favour minorities have a higher crime rate a lot of the time. As a white guy I've visited a few times and felt safer in some areas than others from the atmosphere. I come from a pretty diverse neighbourhood but there were areas in the Bronx where I wouldn't have considered living because from what I saw I felt that I would have been the only white person there. Now I'm not sure if this would make me unwelcome, or even a target, so that's what I'm asking.

Essentially I'm asking about race relations when it comes to (sorry for saying this word) gentrification. Do black or hispanic neighbourhoods welcome white residents without much problem in the Bronx?
I think they do. They won't bother you just because you're white. Just mind your business, don't socialize with the hood people and you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM

56 posts, read 65,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I think they do. They won't bother you just because you're white. Just mind your business, don't socialize with the hood people and you should be fine.
That's what I thought. The thing about the white neighbourhoods allegedly not accepting non-white people made me wonder if it worked the other way round.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 PM

7,903 posts, read 13,798,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBlueRuins View Post
That's what I thought. The thing about the white neighbourhoods allegedly not accepting non-white people made me wonder if it worked the other way round.
Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? Somewhere in the UK? I notice you spell certain words with "u".

Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 PM

Well I happen to live in belmont now near fordham u. I gotta say I wasnt initially thrilled with living here but I felt like the deal was too good to pass up. A nice sized renovated 2br for 1050. Had to take it. The rent from what I have observed in general is pretty cheap around here. Its an interesting area because you have a mix of people. The students are mostly white and transient and the locals are mostly hispanic with a few blacks and albanians here and there. I like having arthur ave nearby. Great street to stroll through on a nice day. Its kinda awkward at times because the students seem to live in their own bubble. There is very little interaction between locals and students.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM

164 posts, read 145,553 times
I frequently go to the Bronx for work. Often, I go to or through areas which are predominantly African-American and/or Hispanic. And yes, I walk through these areas. I've never been hassled once for being Caucasian.

In specific neighborhoods of other cities, I've seen signs that I'm not welcome. People may stare at you or talk about you under their breath. By now, I've learned to detect and assess such signs. And I just don't see them in predominantly minority sections of the Bronx.

"neighbourhoods" is the preferred spelling not just in the UK but also in Commonwealth countries such as Canada and Australia. The Commonwealth countries are those where the Queen is sovereign.

The thing about Fordham's Rose Hill campus (the one in the Bronx, cf. the one at Lincoln Center) is that it's a traditional self-contained campus. At many if not most universities in NYC, campus life is intertwined with life in NYC. Not so at Rose Hill. That said, I see a ton of signs near campus and in the Arthur Avenue area offering discounts specifically to Fordham students.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post
I frequently go to the Bronx for work. Often, I go to or through areas which are predominantly African-American and/or Hispanic. And yes, I walk through these areas. I've never been hassled once for being Caucasian.

In specific neighborhoods of other cities, I've seen signs that I'm not welcome. People may stare at you or talk about you under their breath. By now, I've learned to detect and assess such signs. And I just don't see them in predominantly minority sections of the Bronx.

"neighbourhoods" is the preferred spelling not just in the UK but also in Commonwealth countries such as Canada and Australia. The Commonwealth countries are those where the Queen is sovereign.

The thing about Fordham's Rose Hill campus (the one in the Bronx, cf. the one at Lincoln Center) is that it's a traditional self-contained campus. At many if not most universities in NYC, campus life is intertwined with life in NYC. Not so at Rose Hill. That said, I see a ton of signs near campus and in the Arthur Avenue area offering discounts specifically to Fordham students.
A lot, a lot of the students live off campus in belmont in houses or apartments buildings.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 PM

164 posts, read 145,553 times
@NooYowkur81: That may be. But it's no different than a student living in an off-campus apartment in a college town.

The real difference is in campus life. Most students at traditional residential universities rarely leave campus. They socialize almost exclusively with other students, usually at the same campus. By contrast, students who go to most universities in NYC go out and explore the city and even socialize there to an extent. But this is far less true of Rose Hill.

For example, in one scene I'm part of, I constantly meet undergrads at NYU and Columbia. But I've rarely met anyone there who attends Fordham.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 AM

8,752 posts, read 9,539,574 times
I gotta say, $1050 for a spacious renovated 2 bedroom is definitely below market. When did you sign that deal? I know that the best deals in the Bronx are the Central Bronx, like Morrisania, Tremont, Mount Hope, University Heights, typically in the older 5 story tenement buildings including along the Grand Concourse.

I just rented a 2 bedroom apt to a couple, completely renovated for $1,400 and they pay their own heat too. (Technically I am signing leases today).

Old 05-31-2012, 10:15 AM

10,291 posts, read 18,585,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I gotta say, $1050 for a spacious renovated 2 bedroom is definitely below market. When did you sign that deal? I know that the best deals in the Bronx are the Central Bronx, like Morrisania, Tremont, Mount Hope, University Heights, typically in the older 5 story tenement buildings including along the Grand Concourse.

I just rented a 2 bedroom apt to a couple, completely renovated for $1,400 and they pay their own heat too. (Technically I am signing leases today).
I would love to see pics of your empty apartments.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-31-2012, 11:12 AM

8,752 posts, read 9,539,574 times
Sure I can bring them to the city-data meet-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City