U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:45 AM

1,683 posts, read 1,432,748 times

Advertisements

Is it time to start recommending the Bronx? I say this because a lot of people are hesitant or fail to mention number of solid neighborhoods.

For the record: Kingsbridge, Pelham Parkway, Parkchester, Westchester Sq and Norwood/Bedford Park are solid neighborhoods within walking distance of subway stations.

Some of these neighborhoods have a bit more social issues then say Astoria but they are relatively solid.

I still feel the Grand Concourse is the ultimate investment. Only a matter of time and it's decent around E161st. The Hub is another gold mine with more issues.

I won't mention the neighborhoods with pitiful subway mass transit (e.g. Throgs Neck).

Gentrification has been occurring in the Bronx for years, filling in the co-ops and market rate rentals as deep as Morrisania. How little we discuss this. Tearing down a vacant building to construct a new 12 story mixed income is gentrification like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 01:33 PM

9,395 posts, read 16,003,951 times
People recommend areas of the Bronx all the time, but the neighborhoods cater to a different demographic group than those priced out of Manhattan who want to be as close as possible, which is responsible for the influx into Astoria in large part.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 PM

703 posts, read 272,232 times
Will everybody stop calling, making a better neighboorhood gingerfication. I am so glad that everybody view of, the Bronx is imaginative. This way all the weirdo's could stay out. The Bronx is, and has allways been a great place to live, and many historical wonders inside of it. Last thing I need is another person, from the feet of USA to come in, and start crying about everything, until they make it another MAIN street. How many more non-heterosexuals, cultlus, and "others" do we need.

What social issues?????????? Lets talk about that, instead. As far as I know it, the Bronx has allways been a great place, and like any other place, has it's disputes.

The reason why people wants to live in Manhattan, is because that is tourist, town where all of the tourist, and non-residents live. Only a small amount of them, have any historical relations to the city itself. Let the tourist, outsiders, and immigrants, stay in tourist town.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:08 PM

518 posts, read 814,647 times
I was swayed to move to the Bronx after a handful of visits. I was shocked at how close mass transit was to every co-op we looked at. Good hospitals, and a lot of name brand shops close by.
The 2 bd rm units were huge (we settled on an 1100sq ft unit) Elevators were in every building we looked at and each block had a flavor to it, a sense of community. The facades on some of these buildings are amazing - our building had a great garden, complete with waves of butterflies.

We're in Pelham Parkway So. I only see good things happening here with 13 million put into the White Plains Road rehab project - a Children's Place just opened up, and a good peppering of mom & pops that do well. And of course the Zoo is minutes away. Having had to share a room to live in Manhattan, lived in a slum in Brooklyn, & watched my Queens neighborhood slide into poverty, its nice to see a stable neighborhood. Im glad to be a part of it. I have nothing but good things to say. Anyone who's been here is always shocked at what we got for our money.

the downside is we are far from most things in the City, but 40 min train ride into midtown doesn't seem like that much of a trade of for all the amenities we enjoy.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Gentrification*and*urban gentrification*refer to the changes that result when wealthier people ("gentry") acquire or rent property in low income and working class communities
This has been happening for many years in the Bronx. Rents are significantly higher then they were 10 and 20 years ago. People fail to recognize this.

Social problems, the poverty and violent crime that persist in many Bronx neighborhoods.

I actually do not read too many Bronx recommendations. Normally Queens and Brooklyn. There should be a lot more recommendations for this dense, urban, transit friendly borough.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:40 PM

9,395 posts, read 16,003,951 times
If people have a family and want to use public schools, Queens tends to have better neighborhood schools. If people need proximity to Lower Manhattan, and don't want to live in NNJ, then Brooklyn is a better bet.

I also would take prognostications from The Times' real estate section with a grain of salt as there is much more that needs to be done for the Grand Concourse to return to its former middle/upper middle class stature. It is still very far uptown, which limits potential, and the schools are a mess, so it's not a fit for many families. It is not a situation that is comparable to the UWS, SoHo, etc. where a $200k apartment in a formerly run-down area is going to trade in the seven-figure range, though there likely is upside potential if the crime, school, and other detractors can be corrected. During the day, the areas around the stadium are fine, but at night, when there is not a game/event, it is still a transitional neighborhood with its share of problems.

It's also a bit of a stretch to put limits on recommending the borough as areas like Throggs Neck and Country Club are safe, stable neighborhoods. Lack of transit should not be a factor when determining whether or not a neighborhood should be recommended as many in said areas will drive or take the bus to where they need to go, not unlike areas if Eastern Queens and Staten Island. If one is interested in enhancing the profile of the borough, all good areas should be open to recommendation, not just those along particular subway lines.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-28-2012, 03:45 PM

1,996 posts, read 2,117,189 times
People have never stopped recommending The Bronx.

Some people don't know any better and they get all caught up in living in neighborhoods where their quality of life sucks, small apt. etc.

I've always felt The Bronx offered a great (and laid back) quality of life, it just depends on if the person is willing to look for it.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 PM

I wouldn't omit those poor transit neighborhoods, I just personally do not like them due to lack of transit.

I feel the GC is great for young pioneers looking for low rents near transit. I read most questions are singles just trying to get in the door here in NYC. Good opportunity as long as the recommendation is honest. One seat ride downtown/midtown.

Transitional, yes. I do not feel it should be written off as many do.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 PM

6,624 posts, read 11,578,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
This has been happening for many years in the Bronx. Rents are significantly higher then they were 10 and 20 years ago. People fail to recognize this.

Social problems, the poverty and violent crime that persist in many Bronx neighborhoods.

I actually do not read too many Bronx recommendations. Normally Queens and Brooklyn. There should be a lot more recommendations for this dense, urban, transit friendly borough.
One of the reasons why you don't see too many recs for The Bx is because there is still a staggering number of people,including and maybe even especially native NY'ers,who know almost nothing about The Bx and who have rarely,if ever,spent any time here.It's a vast,scary terra incognita to them.They also think it's all the same and have no ability to distinguish one neighborhood from another,except for Riverdale.I'm just a transplant who wound up here and I am constantly amazed at how many NY natives I have acted as a tour guide for.They have been to Yankee Stadium,maybe( and I mean maybe) The Zoo and Botanical Garden and traveled on The Cross Bronx and that's it.

When I moved the The Bx from Brooklyn a lot of my Brooklyn and Manhattan friends were astonished when they came to see my apartment and neighborhood and a few have actually now moved to The Bx themselves !

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-28-2012 at 04:04 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 PM

2,504 posts, read 1,816,059 times
Another unfortunate reason contributing to the lack of Bronx recommendations is the lack of curb appeal all the Bronx access points have via subway, metro-north, and highways have. It's like whenever you cross a bridge or come out the subway tunnel into the Bronx, all you see is either projects, run down looking neighborhoods, and graffiti everywhere. The aesthetics change and one automatically assumes the rest of the Bronx is like that. in my opinion, all those access points need to be cleaned up to change the feel and aesthetics of the Bronx in those specific areas. There is no reason why graffiti from the 80's should still be present in the subway and metro north tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City