Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:03 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the most obvious things that make New York great: location/setting. World class seaport. One of the world's best natural harbors. The Hudson river, one of the finest rivers in the U.S. (London's Thames is a piddly little mudflat by comparison). The Palisades. Lots of islands. Magnificent views and vistas.

Last edited by r small; 05-31-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 PM

458 posts, read 616,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Western U.S. cities like Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, etc., are nothing more than boring suburbs surrounded by freeways and fast food joints. New York is a CITY.
LOL what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats a huge problem i have with New Yorkers , they don't travel much except around the city...
You can say that again!

Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
LOL what?

You can say that again!
I agree, that was one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Los Angeles is a HUGE metropolis, with beautiful beaches, restaurants, etc. check out some of these pics from the LA forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...la-pic-63.html

Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Sorry folks I just had to ask anyway. I know New York is great it's just that millions of SoCal residents don't agree with me. Is all.
Why are you guys even thinking about NY, I never here ppl over here talking about Cali. A matter a fact I doubt ppl in SoCal are bashing NY you prob just don't like NY and/or your insecure because you feel threatened by it because it's better than LA as a city.

I mean obviously ppl love NYC for the vibrancy, culture, diversity, shopping, restaurants, theaters, art, the scenery.

All cities have a unique feel but as far as American cities go NY has the most unique exciting feel to it when compared to every other city in the country.

I'm tired of a lot of ppl bashing NY this is the premier American city does it have flaws of course but for ppl to say it's not great or overrated thats just because you may have had a bad time doesn't mean the city is overrated it mostly likely means you had no idea what spots to go to or the culture/lifestyle here is so foreign to you you felt uncomfortable in such a dense vibrant place.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:04 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats a huge problem i have with New Yorkers , they don't travel much except around the city... So they then spew or enforce negative stereotypes about NJ or LI....most of which are based of biased news reports.... Which is another problem i have with NY , the News Media is to soft when it comes to crime reporting in the city , but jumps and over reports Urban Jersey crime which is often in certain neighborhoods but the way the NY press makes it out to be its the whole city like with Newark... Out of the few dozen Native New Yorker friends i have only 2 or 3 travel outside the city on a weekly basis....the rest its once a month or every few months.. Were not talking poor , but middle and upper class Nyers...
Unless they have family in NJ or LI what would be the need to travel to these places on a weekly basis?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:13 PM

455 posts, read 651,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the most obvious things that make New York great: location/setting. World class seaport. One of the world's best natural harbors. The Hudson river, one of the finest rivers in the U.S. (London's Thames is a piddly little mudflat by comparison). The Palisades. Lots of islands. Magnificent views and vistas.
What?? Go swim in it. That river is filthy and brownish. Finest river in the U.S.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,593,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I agree, that was one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Los Angeles is a HUGE metropolis, with beautiful beaches, restaurants, etc. check out some of these pics from the LA forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...la-pic-63.html
Well, overall I agree: but don't forget that Downtown Los Angeles has been neglected for decades.
Even though DTLA has been improved, it's still uncomparable to Manhattan...
P.S. I love Greater Los Angeles.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
What?? Go swim in it. That river is filthy and brownish. Finest river in the U.S.
So true, it's repulsive. I don't know how people swim in the beaches here either. My rule is, if I can't see my feet, I ain't going in!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:48 PM

208 posts, read 464,106 times
Oh please don't paint LA all pretty and nice. LA is one dirty city. I have lived in both LA and NYC. Each have perks and downfalls but you can't compare them. In my eyes NYC is a million times better but that's for me and my life. Other may think LA is and that's fine...to each their own

Old 05-31-2012, 03:10 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycangel View Post
Oh please don't paint LA all pretty and nice. LA is one dirty city. I have lived in both LA and NYC. Each have perks and downfalls but you can't compare them. In my eyes NYC is a million times better but that's for me and my life. Other may think LA is and that's fine...to each their own
I agree...

Lived in both, no way to put LA any place near NYC level..again personal opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City