Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 03:58 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedisciple View Post
Yes it is unavoidable

Hipsters and Yuppies can get annoying but it beats the hell out of crack heads and gun fights. Those are the only two options.

People always seem to want to recreate the old (irish, italian, secular jewish) ethnic hoods of yesteryear, but those people move to the burbs once they earn money.

So take your pick, yuppies/hipsters or thugs. Yuppies/Hipsters are the lesser of two evils.
Says who? You? It's safe to say you're not a visionary. Thank goodness Mayor Bloomberg doesn't share your view. To say "those are the only 2 options" is simplistic and absurd

Google Bloomberg NHMP. That's what the future will look like. Many are too impatient and want it now now now but good things cometo those who wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i wonder who will be next to gentrify
the gentrifiers, or do they plan to
permanently settle the areas?
This is what I said last year when the topic reared its ugly head yet again:

Quote:
For those who scream Let the market decide, you need to remember: Unless your name is Queen Elizabeth or the Sultan of Brunii or someone with money to burn like that, there will always be someone richer, better looking, smarter, more powerful etc. I forget how the exact saying goes, but it's something like that. Be careful what you wish for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Alkonost...just because the E Village isn't the dangerous/multiethnic/"interesting"/"cool" place anymore, doesn't mean other neighborhoods haven't become that. As you stated, neighborhoods change, so there is no doubt another NYC now fits that bill..so why be sad? If neighborhoods stayed static, that's a reason to be sad.
Just speaking from my own experience witnessing the e vill gentrification- that's all. I'm sad because I miss the old neighborhood. It was an awesome experience growing up there.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:57 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
We can't go home, as they say. However, changing neighborhoods happen, with or without gentrification...it's normal and what makes NYC so great.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
We can't go home, as they say. However, changing neighborhoods happen, with or without gentrification...it's normal and what makes NYC so great.
Normal, yes. But it's character- not "change"- is what makes any place great. A place can loose it's soul, spark, and identity. Change is neutral. It's the results that matter.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
Well yes and no....that's all completely subjective. You may think a change is uncool, or loses its soul, spark and identity, but others may view the change as making the area cool, added soul, spark, and better identity. Which is why changing neighborhoods, instead of simply stagnantion is good...."character" is subjective and essentially meaningless.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:41 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Besides this is NYC, no neighborhood here as stayed the same forever, everything here is always changing. Neighborhoods take on different faces and different souls, what might feel like a soulless change to one might feel like an improvement on the soul of a neighborhood to someone else.

I think the only thing one can really say makes areas feel soulless might be the areas where new condo towers have been built in dead industrial areas yet the new towers have done nothing to add to the street life of that neighborhood making it so people that live there need to commute elsewhere to do anything that would usually be found in a neighborhood.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Well yes and no....that's all completely subjective. You may think a change is uncool, or loses its soul, spark and identity, but others may view the change as making the area cool, added soul, spark, and better identity. Which is why changing neighborhoods, instead of simply stagnantion is good...."character" is subjective and essentially meaningless.
Uncool wouldn't be the word I'd use, I'd say the arrow of time is neutral. It's the end result that matters, and yes I agree that whether someone likes the end result or not is subjective but I wouldn't call it meaningless. The result of gentrification or "change", good or bad depending on who you ask, has meaning and significance to people who live there. But, you move on if you fall out of love.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Here's a good article about mom-and-pop businesses in the gentrification equation.

Can Mom-and-Pop Shops Survive Extreme Gentrification? - nytimes.com - June 5, 2012

A Greenwich Village observation:
Quote:
That old house-plant store is now a Marc Jacobs boutique. The dowdy bird store with the parrots in the window became Magnolia Bakery. The onslaught of luxury brands — Ralph Lauren, Jimmy Choo, Burberry, among them — has been so relentless that I’m happy when I see one of the old shops still in business. As an economics geek, I also wonder how in the world they survived. How have they innovated? How were they shrewd enough to overcome the rising rents and profit off a new, wealthy clientele?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 AM

271 posts, read 532,085 times
Toronto over-gentrified over the past twenty years and lost its edge and uniqueness. Every store-lined avenue looks exactly the same, with a mix of sterile green glass condos and chain stores. I hope that doesn't happen to NYC.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I can answer 3 of your questions. What keeps the Bronx from gentrifying is distance from the city core and stigma of the Bronx past and reputation which the Bronx cant shake off. The Bronx is already experiencing some sort of gentrification. Hipsters and artist live in Mott Haven and Port Morris areas of The south Bronx and by the civic Yankee stadium area has a growing yuppies crowd. Last belmont area by fordham university near litttle italy might have lite gentrification due to students living off campus. Riverdale has yuppies living in the area already. These are the only areas of the Bronx that will experience gentrification even though there are social ills around the corner. Hey les and williamsburg had social ills during its process of gentrification.

Least gentrified areas of Manhattan is Washington heights and inwood east of Broadway aswlls as parts of Harlem

I have seen many yuppies walking around with iphones in one hand and starbucks in the other hand.
they still have problems speak to the Jewish or Hispanics living there.

the only thing that seems unites every single ethnic group in this city is hatred of hipsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City